What have you done to your XS today?

Phew, warning to everyone not to do this :yikes:

I got a new solenoid today and wanted it to be a quick Mount and rushed... (NEVER RUSH THINGS) I were just extatic finally moving on and unhooked the wires and wooom.. smoke everywhere.. DANG :wtf: what happened... I smoked the ground wire/cable compeletely up in smoke... :doh::doh::doh: Why!?? this goes out to the newbies as myself... Remember to unhook the batterycables before doing any Work like this.

Remember this :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Lucky for me, the bike starts even better now with the new Solenoid and battery keeps voltage better after multiple tries starting.. Allso Lucky me, I only smoked up one wire, the ground from the old solenoid.... easy fix this time at least. :D

Have a laugh on my behalf, its permitted :bike:

Me too got a bit scary there, could easily have been the whole harness as rapid it went.. Wush one wire in a split... Phew.

Installed 2 new, (well new to me) non-vacuum petcocks but didn't have the sealing washers, so had to stop and find some. To my surprise, I couldn't find them anywhere in town. Ordered some from Mike's, (along with a few other things I couldn't live without). I can't go on that site without spending too much money! Now for the weather to clear up so I can ride this thing...

Poppin my post cherry on this thread. Picked up my xs last october (first moto, first one i test rode) and haven't looked back.

This site has been nothing short of invaluable. More than a few wrenchers on here are gold when it comes to guidance.

Just finished installing PAMCO w/e-adavnce last weekend. This weekend is Hugh's PMA. Then turning my attention to aesthetics.

Safe and happy riding!

Well I finally got the bike started after my first top end job. Now I need to get it dialed in for Daytona next week.

Congratulations to Brew, it's a sweet sound to hear the engine run after tearing into it . tim

I took apart the left control housing and cleaned it thoroughly. Hi/Lo switch was intermittant. Then I had to take it out for an hour or so to make sure it was fixed. Another fine day here in the Pacific Northwest.

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 127
I thought about shoveling out the door to the barn, finding the fork tubes and starting the rebuild/polishing process. Then I went back to the heated garage and continued work on another helmet holder.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/4sawdust?ref=ss_profile

Spring is coming and I can't wait to get back to my sidecar project.
Happy new year and thanks to everyone here that helps me and my sons with our 650 projects.

So I guess what I did was think on my XS today.

DEDEDE

I went for a round trip 250 mile ride to watch my grandson play tennis. All freeway Cal-99 north to Fresno. No problems. Withe 30-tooth rear my sweet spot is between 75 and 80 on my speedo. For the freeway I should drain the 30weight out of the forks and replace it with 15 or 20 weight. In the twisties I like just fine.

So I decided to tackle the advance rod service. Bought the red sta-lube grease and jumped right in. The weight springs were weak, so decided to shorten them about 1/4". After servicing the rod and stiffening the springs, I'm ready to run it and see if that helps the random high RPMs. Still waiting on sealing washers to install new petcocks. Spring forward baby!

Feeding from the IV Bottle tank, the floats stuck then unstuck, started it and ran a couple cups of fuel thru. The fuel filters should be here soon, then the tank goes on and around the block we will go. After nearly 40 yrs the excitement builds.

Hi Carbon,

How is the "prototype 277 Pamco/Eadvance" project coming? I'm very anxious to get one!

Thanks,
Glenn

Well i was going to start working on that Friday. But one of my other bikes decided to screw with me on Friday. It took the weekend but I got that sorted out this afternoon.
So after that I rechecked the timing in preparation for the testing.
This evening I have removed the ATU and old rotor. Installed the new rotor and right side components. I removed the gas tank and opened the wire harness. Now I am in the process of getting the coils unhooked and the Eadvance unit wired into place.
If nothing gets in the way I will go for a start up after lunch tomorrow.

Attachments

• 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 99
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 117
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 107
I didn't get as much done as i thought I would.
Got the Eadvancer ready to plug into the system.
Got got the system ready for the Eadvancer.
Plugged the advancer into the system.
I need to get the tank back on then I can go for a start.

Last edited:
I got it out of the shed, lit the fire and rode it about 15 miles! Woo hoo. Spring in Wisconsin.

Back