What have you done to your XS today?

I really dont know. I see power coat as best long term. This 81 model I came by the frame has had the gas tank forward mounts removed and no tank came with it. But its the 81 model with drum brakes and I like the drum over disk for looks. But im working on getting my 76 finished up. Ive got my time split for getting my vulcan classic ready for the road also, So time and cash is split between them.

thanks a lot
I have a couple but nothing good.

full

full

Very nice.
btw you're killing me with the palm trees right now.....
it's almost 0 f which is -18 c......
i am at least 2 months away from riding and a month before it's warm enough to wrench in the garage for more than 30 minutes

Hey Carbon---My Red Sox boys are in town and they will be watching you. tim

I am headed out for the Rock Store at the top of Malibu Canyon. I have not been in a couple years. You can see plenty of exotic bikes and cars. I will take pictures and post on my return. It is about two hours one way. Tony C

Posted via Mobile

I fiddled with the carbs and timing and got mg SG running sweetly again!! Going for a ride in the A.M.!! Weather is perfect!

Added a switch to cut off power to all the Aux and lights until the engine is ticking over.

16613473921_79fb161b78_b.jpg

16613475341_e535d88ac5_b.jpg

Could not test it as it is PISSING it down all day here, hopefully next weekend!!!

Airwolfie looking great, I'm working on doing the exact same on mine. ;) actually same switch aswell so it seems.

Today I actually did something, as I spent a couple of hours on the engine room lathe.
My son CNC milled me a rear caliper bracket for a Brembo caliper, and I got one measurement a couple of millimeters wrong. So I shaved off that in the lathe. Definitely slower than a CNC milling machine, but I have plenty of time, still 4 more weeks at sea.....

I went for that ride.Made sure I wore my "XS650.Com" shirt! Did this after I cut a new longer length of fuel line to ease a bend. Need to find clamps other than wormgear. Man It felt good to hear her run and ride the 'ol SG again. Stay out about an hour. Wish it was longer but things to do....

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

New to this forum, there is a ton of great people and info, I look forward to picking your brains.
Today I stripped by barn find 72 XS650 down to the frame. Wiring and all soft surfaces are toast.

Dragged an 81 into the garage today, it's been in my shed since about 2008. License plate is 1998, probably the last time it ran. Had title issues that finally got resolved a year ago. Threw in a battery, pulled the plugs and checked, it has spark! sprayed a bit of rust buster in the plug holes cranked it a few times. (screw driver in the start button) A bit of carb cleaner in the vacuum ports and it fired up, sounded good AND the head light lit. Woo hoo. Got it on craigslist for 600 and they are lining up around the block.

Motorcycle 007.jpg

Motorcycle 007.jpg

Gotta make some room in the shed!

Back