What have you done to your XS today?

Okay I'm happy to report that the first test with the Pamco proototype 277/Eadvancer went well.
This is the first test and more testing is to follow.
I shot a video But I gave Pete the power over the testing videos.
I will post public videos as Pete lets me.

Carbon, thats really good to hear that its progressing and it went well. Looking forward seeing the demos you make so well.

Today I fine tuned my clutch, and allso did some tuning of my carbs. The carbs are TM34-2 Mikunis and ive changed needle settings back and forth, until I realised that the main jet were the potential culprit running to fat..

main jet were 250 so had to adjust that to 190... reverted back to 3 steps Down on the needle and ill test drive Again once sun is out. ;)

have a great day out there.

I replaced the original swingarm bushings on my wife's '78 Special.
I measured the original plastic bushings before I removed them. Definitely not round anymore.
Cleaned and degreased everything I could reach while I had the swingarm out of the way, along with the rear wheel. Shiny!

I replaced the footpeg and side cover rubbers on my '78 Standard.
Replaced the lost top screw on the turn signal lens. Added a drop of loctite this time.

A fresh change of oil and it will be time to go touring! :thumbsup:

Finally new got the new free flow petcocks installed, and switched to allen head screws while I was under there, man what a difference! Installed all new clear fuel lines and filters. Put some fuel in and took off. I noticed it was running well at higher RPM's, but struggling off the line. I remembered reading somewhere on here that the points should be cleaned and a little fine sandpaper ran through the gaps should help, so I did just that. This bike runs better than ever, and I finally got to take it out on a 20 mile run. The only issue I have now is my throttle won't return completely to the idle screw, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. It hovers around 2K and I can push it with my hand, but I can't lower it with the screw. I'll have to save that for another day.

today, ran tygon f4040a fuel lines with filters, mounted the tank and ran the engine. 2 kick start. the worst thing about this "garage find" project is that I'm actually the PO, 40 years ago my taste and skills may have been somewhat lacking

Installed the swingarm with the shiny new bushings.
Rebuilt the rear brake. Bled the line.
Adjusted the cam chain.
Adjusted the valves. All 4 were tight.
New air cleaners.
Installed the turn-signal blinker I stole for my bike.
New oval washers for the rear turn signals. No more droops.

Runs like new. Rode around for about 20 miles between showers.

Spring is here!

Put the alternator cover back on with new seal, or left crank cover I think the book called it. Installed clutch cable. Set the rear wheel and tightened the chain I installed last week. Connected the rear brakes, not sure if I got the lever on right so I have to look it up. And moved to the front brakes. Opened the reservoir and found what looked like sticky sand. See pic, not sure if I can salvage but if not what do you guys recommend for new reservoir and lines?:yikes:

Attachments

• front brakes.jpg
    front brakes.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 139
my daughter said her son smells like a mechanic! he and I adjusted the ignition timing and the clutch then just ran some fuel out the tank, made heat in the engine and smells out the exhaust, in and out of gear a few times and new titty grips. still cool enough here that a good fan keeps the engine just hot to the touch.

High water on the Sylamore Creek in Stone Co. Arkansas has been keeping the XS land locked. Only able to toodle around in the yard.

Hope to meet a few of you at the XS Rallye in Mt. View, AR next month.

DSCN5294_zpspqhnyz0v.jpg

DSCN5287_zpsbhicdjcm.jpg

DSCN5284_zpsjjvudv8l.jpg

Ive been working with PamcoPete today on the 277/EAdvancer Prototype unit.
Got the timing spot on.
I got her kicking on the first kick.
Worked on a fitment issue. problem solved :thumbsup:
Pamco Pete is very easy to work with. Very patient Man :)"I had a couple :doh: monents"
FREAKED MYSELF OUT! by forgetting to turn on the fuel during a test :doh:

Great progress! Yeah I heard that it makes them easier to kick start and a prime reason for me an also being advanced more reliably.

Don't feel bad about the gas, I was trying to start with my headlight on a couple weeks ago!

I couldn't go for a ride today. I did take a couple minutes to start the SG up and listen to her idle. Always sounds good.

Hardtail fabbed & installed
Springer mounted
Need to fix the tank in position

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 140
Finally got to ride it for the first time....I started this bike about 5 years ago for my wife, then we had a little boy so it got put on hold for a little while and finally got it done yesterday. Still need paint and powder but I will ride it around as is for now to make sure I don't need to make any changes but for now its good to go....then I gotta hand it over to the wife...that will be the hardest part haha

I worked on my ex500 carbs. Ground a clearance for fitting and adapted a $6.00 choke cable from AutoZone. I have not ordered jets or filters or throttle since I am running VM34's. Also need carb holders.

Attachments

• P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 179
I may one day to get that far with mine. I have to see if it will actually run first.
I'm sure it will brother.
Pete has given me the go ahead on video release.
Here is cold first start of the day.
checking the timing getting ready for the first ride.
Pamco 277/EAdvancer prototype ignition.

Back