What have you done to your XS today?

Today put stoplight switch on front brake lever, tucked the wiring back into the headlight bucket and went for a short ride. Sounds great but, CRS had already set in, I forgot to tighten the clamp bolt on the top triple tree. A couple miles into the ride I heard a jingling sound, stopped to survey and didn't see anything missing so continued riding about 15 miles. When I got home I located the empty hole, went out in the truck hoping, no luck. The XS1 ran really nice. Handling is much improved with the bushing fix. Ordered the bolt, nut and washer from boats.net and will try again when parts come.

Mostly reassembled the carbs and made up an aluminum bracket to replace the galvanized steel bracket.
Saved three or four ounces of weight and it's a lot more shiny!:D

Attachments

• carb_bracket.jpg
    carb_bracket.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 149
Cleaned oil leak front tapped cover, washed engine, went for a 100 mile ride...bike is running like crap, one carb is up the shit. So next week I will do fork seals, timing, then attack the carburetor issues.....

Drug the beast out of the barn to see how the cheap bar-end mirrors I got off e-bay held their place on a ride. 40 mph cross winds and a loose rear fender, and the mirrors stayed rock solid. Tonight the cold and rain returns.

Stripped another rear wheel apart for the hub and started cleaning smoothing and polishing it, the last hub I took out has bad bearings, so while I wait for those I'll lace up this one to that 3"x18" Italian flanged rim. Fired up the blue 79 and put on 20 miles, first XS ride this year. Just enough carb variation that I think it needs shaft seals. Maybe I'll see if I can squeak by with just the one at the throttle arm.

Took the "SG" to Phoenix to attend a swap meet and look for clutch plates. The only XS parts found were a Lt side manual petcock and a rear wheel for a Heritage model. I took I-60 East and SR 79,77 home. Great warm, clear day. Ran great, ran strong. Clutch is beginning to lose some grip hence the search for plates and springs. Time to search the 'net.

Does yesterday count?
Tightened the clip spring on the starter gear, allen head clutch spring bolts and freshen up the side case. The aluminum spacers are a bit shorter and I would suggest anyone doing this for the first time run the bolts and spacers on joining the two pieces before installation to check how much of the bolt is sticking out the back. Too much and is touching the outer hub.

Attachments

• IMG_20160403_123321_680.jpg
    IMG_20160403_123321_680.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20160403_125305_417.jpg
    IMG_20160403_125305_417.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20160403_161501_022.jpg
    IMG_20160403_161501_022.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20160403_141635_343.jpg
    IMG_20160403_141635_343.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20160403_161537_265.jpg
    IMG_20160403_161537_265.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 156
The good: made some sissy bar brackets out of mild steel for a sissy bar I've had sitting in the shed for 6 months. Removed my indicators and wiring.

The bad: running very lean on the RHS cylinder ever since I accidentally put in BP7ES's instead of B7ES's. Am hoping it's nothing serious. Bike still starts second or third kick and runs the same.

Haven't done anything TO the XS. I did do someting FOR my XS. Ordered clutch plate set and springs and a Rt cover gasket. The clutch has been slipping under High RPM situations. 26k on the bike and who knows if the plates are factory installed or PO. It should be here by next Monday or so. I thought about buying a set of the fancy spring retainers. Maybe next major rebuld. Got some plans for updatine the SG in the future once the KZ is on the road. Can't be without runnng road bike ya know.....

The bad: running very lean on the RHS cylinder ever since I accidentally put in BP7ES's instead of B7ES's. Am hoping it's nothing serious. Bike still starts second or third kick and runs the same.

As long as you didn't run them in there for ages you won't have any issues, I did exactly the same and when i pulled the engine down there was nil signs of melted bits.....did get hot though....

check this out...

http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/technical-information/operating-temperature

Pulled the front wheel and removed the dual disc's. Brought the wheel and new tire to the shop for mounting. Went home and C-clamped the disc's to table and with 80 grit paper on the electric sander hit both sides of the disc's to de-glaze them. Been needing to do that for a while now. I should do the rear wheel disc too when I get the front wheel back and mounted. Thinking of changing the bolts for the disc's to allenheads. Hmmmm.

Took the bike out for a jaunt, ran great...except the starter button got "wiggly" somewhere along the ride. Couldn't use the e-start, so I took it apart, and found that the plastic shoulder on the button had cracked off about 3/4th's around, leaving just the small portion to stay secured into the button housing.

So now, onto my search for a button. Anyone know if the horn button is the same as the Starter button? Mikes' sells the horn button... didn't see the starter button for sale.

Edit: Read that the horn button works on '80's bikes as a starter button...anyone know why it wouldn't work on a '79 (which is what I have)?

I wuz workin' wheel hard on this.

rear wheel 001.JPG rear wheel 006.JPG

rear wheel 010.JPG

That's the Italian 3X18 H rim Still gotta true it up and mount a tire.

Back