What have you done to your XS today?

Spent a couple hours chasing electrical bugs on my 78 Special. (air filter boxes are stamped 78 03 02 - I have not seen that on the other ones before). All my wiring works except for the start button.

Went to my lock smith with the key code 351x and came back with a key that operates the seat lock, gas tank lid and ignition. Since I could not get the tank open when I got it last summer, the old gas has kept the inside from rusting so I am pleased.
It's a 10 foot factory retail red.

I keep thinking that I am a day away from taking it in for the safety certificate. Every evening this week, I still am.

Added pictures to curry favour with the admins. - dated air box, red Special getting closer to ready, somewhat disturbing survivor tank art on the black '78

Attachments

• SAM_2974.jpg
    SAM_2974.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 203
  • SAM_2976.jpg
    SAM_2976.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 201
  • SAM_2979.JPG
    SAM_2979.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I had a TX750 rear wheel all laced up, then was forced to sell it to a member. Now after years of waiting for a matching brake backing plate to show up at a decent price, I have this TX750 hub about ready for spokes.

hubz 001.JPG hubz 002.JPG

hubz 007.JPG

Now I have to order another 3x18 flange rim.

Not today, but last week I got a replacement Master Cylinder (13mm bore) for my stock (14mm bore). My old MC was fine, but the feel was a bit like wood... and this one changes that pretty significantly. I am sure the recommended 11mm bore would be that much better, but I'm pretty happy with this "upgrade."

On a side note, the lever I had works perfect and matches the clutch side. :)

Got a couple of young guy's to get my bike out of the basement, went and got some fresh high test and much to the surprise of the neighbors it fired up.. Probably took 8 to 10 kicks to fire and stay running and a good thing because I was out of gas at that point. But I am excited to start another riding season. tim

I have a 1977 model, which doesn't have a locknut on the cam chain tensioner screw. Was never really sure if that screw was turning whenever I was tightening the acorn nut.

Decided to try and find a nut that would fit, and found this on eBay. It's a oxygen sensor bung, intended to be welded to an exhaust pipe. The thread was the correct M18 X 1.5

bung nut.jpg

Found a copper washer that was a close fit

IMG_2924.jpg

Here it is installed. Was going to grind a couple of flat spots for a wrench, but found that it tightened just find with pliers. Now when I tighten down the acorn nut, I know it isn't affecting the adjustment.

IMG_2942.jpg
IMG_2946.jpg

Last edited:
Made a seat today. Still fighting with the rear ferring. Stripped the electronics and bolted on an old 50s truck lamp.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 20160517_204540_HDR.jpg
    20160517_204540_HDR.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 227
Great stuff there Resto!

I have a 1977 cam chain tensioner, oxygen sensor bung, intended to be welded to an exhaust pipe. The thread was the correct M18 X 1.5

View attachment 63843

Found a copper washer that was a close fit

View attachment 63844

Here it is installed. Was going to grind a couple of flat spots for a wrench, but found that it tightened just find with pliers. Now when I tighten down the acorn nut, I knew it isn't affecting the adjustment.

View attachment 63845
View attachment 63846

I thought I'd share yesterday's activities.
I bought and installed new mirrors which are a little more retro and stand higher so I can see better.
I added a chrome handle bar switch to match the clutch side.
I took apart the petcock on the gas tank and cleaned the internal filters as well as re seated it twice, because it leaked the first time.
I ran a new fuel line and filter because the old one needed replacing.
I installed a Hughes Handbuilt oil cooler.
I rechecked the timing that David and I set last Friday, just to be sure and it was dead on.
I took it for a test drive and then applied lock tite to to the nuts on the Pamco ignition rotor and the advance replacement cap and then buttoned up the case covers.
I really feel confident that this 36 year-old bike is ready to ride.
Peace all.

Oi!
Installing turn signals on the '78 that the PO had removed.
Picked up a full set of blinkers from the classifieds a while ago and threw them on, wired them into the harness and tadaaa! Nothing. Voltmeter is MIA.....light probe is on hand.
OK
Are the bulbs good? Insert battery voltage into the left side blinkers, accessed in the headlight bucket.......solid on. Now the right side, solid on. Bulbs good.
OK
Check for power into the flasher. Brown wire in, good.....brown/white wire out....good.
OK
Check power in on the brown/white at the connector in the bucket.....good.
OK
Take the left handlebar switch apart to check power in on the brown/white wire and find the solder connection has failed. Scrounged around through three sets of junk switches and find two have failed solder connections and the third is good but a PO has cut the pigtails off.

Pulling wires out of the harness, fishing replacements in, splicing new connectors.....yeah, we're good to go now.
I will invest in a soldering iron now as it could have saved me some time......need to find that voltmeter.......lol

Rode with dese guys!

driftless 5-16r.jpg

first time to go ride with a bunch of sport bike riders that tear up the back roads around Veroqua WI 11 bikes today.

When I showed up, got some "cool bike"s and thumbs ups but also "are you going to RIDE with us"? By first break it had changed to; You were riding the wheels off that thing! And "they were pulling away on the straights but you were making it back in the corners". I was lapping that up! We had a great day and I guess I can go back and ride with them again. Real happy with the 3x18 rims and PP3's As that sort of thing goes it reveals some other areas that could stand improvement. But for an old gal, she's a hoot!

One golder retriever, but it was at a stop sign was running between the bikes and barking up a storm.

Madness, you ole mind reader you!

Well, yesterday, I chased some dead wire off my indicators. Turns out it was in the rats nest up in the headlight!

Cut a load of connectors off,and soldered the wires back together. All sorted now!

Dude, that's exactly what I am going to do today!
I removed all the safety relays and installed a Pamco with EAdv and HHB PMA.
I'm leaking electricity from somewhere, and today I am going to find it. My inclination was to clean up the bucket. And that is just what I am going to do.
Thanks for the nudge.
Rob

Back