What have you done to your XS today?

2M, is that just generic fuel line meant for lawnmowers etc? I need to pick some up and would prefer not to get the ugly black hose but I've been nervous about using anything not automotive rated.

2M, is that just generic fuel line meant for lawnmowers etc? I need to pick some up and would prefer not to get the ugly black hose but I've been nervous about using anything not automotive rated.
is the gas in mowers different somehow?

/sarcasm

I am using the same yellow tygon and it works great! it's rated for ethanol fuel and it's totally fine so far.

Hehe, I was more worried about it not standing up to the heat from the motor which is why I asked. Found some listed at the local Home Despot so I guess I'll stop in this week to big some up.

didn't do ANYTHING to my XS today!

However...

I spent a couple hours tearing down the top end on my buddy's '78 SR500. The motor was seized, now I know why! Took the exhaust off and found this:

E09FBD82-EE0A-4B01-A250-E90CBB8ADDF7_zpsipjj7mov.jpg

Yeah, that's a broken and bent exhaust valve, and a broken head casting.

I got the rocker box off and discovered this:

E178E667-2759-491F-9C14-5AC60B67DEE0_zpsoxi6h2ru.jpg

I'll point out to the uninitiated that the rocker arm closest to us - the one for the intake valve - is convex on the cam end, and the exhaust valve rocker is concave. What this tells me is that the exhaust valve rocker was not getting appropriate lubrication - something that's a known problem in these particular engines - and the cam lobe basically wore a concave surface into it. Gnarly! The forces and friction involved in doing that are pretty wild to think about.

Digging further, I took the actual head off, and I discovered this:

C548D11A-8760-47F2-9C7D-8C448CFE5B0F_zpsimkxncka.jpg

Holy moly! That IS a very broken exhaust valve, and a demolished combustion chamber. This thing is gonna need a new head! But wait,
there's more:

9AA4D089-D609-4733-B0DA-251B5CE258D6_zps6f1mwsa4.jpg

Yep, that's exactly what you think it is - the business end of the exhaust valve buried in the top of the piston. Wow - again, the forces involved! From the looks of it, there was some
bouncing around that took place before the embedding happened. Here's a close-up of the piston:

ED862383-55A6-4858-BEC6-113A6AF30944_zpsfvmajkma.jpg

Yep, the valve busted a hole clear through the piston. Wild, right?! Another couple of views:

3CCA5878-A5DE-401F-AF81-959CD95A527B_zpsq41b3ohw.jpg
0A292006-1CCC-46E1-B2AF-ABB647E70AA1_zpsn6refwx0.jpg

Luckily the bottom end seems fine, with minimal side to side play on the conrod. Spins freely, seems OK. Gonna have to spend some serious time cleaning out the crankcase since there is most assuredly a ton of metal bits in the case, but compressed air and diesel will get the bulk of it out hopefully. I reaaaaally don't want to split the cases!

Once all the cleanup is done, it's probably gonna get some mild headwork, a 535cc kit, and an aftermarket top end oiling setup that will hopefully prevent this kind of baloney in the future.

I celebrated my success with this jammer...

A0A4B682-6C89-4CAE-B954-C39F97A44EB9_zpsixssvjif.jpg

Delicious!

Replaced the rear signals today. Freaked out when the right side wouldn't work until realized I had the green for the headlight plugged into the green for the signal (why must they be so close in color?). Replaced the rear shocks. Waiting on some parts for the headlight bucket to finish the front electrical. We've got a postal strike looming so I hope they're here before Wednesday. One oddity, the signals are from xs650direct. They come with only one wire so I fashioned a ground wire but the were working without the ground plugged in. Is that because the threaded posts were grounding out on the rear fender (I didn't cut the posts down)?

Replaced clutch needle bearing, push rod, rod guide and oil seal, this is such a simple motor to work on only took me an hour to do the job, so different to how the bike was when i first got it with it's forty years of botches to sort out first.

Putzed around today. Can't do the timing/carb sync until I can take it for a good run and can't do that until I get the grommets for the headlight (come on Canada Post!). Took the carbs off to do a bench sync and had issues doing it. Even had trouble slipping a piece of paper under the butterfly but, using an eyeball to the sun, they looked in sync. Replaced the vacuum petcock with a manual from 650direct and ran a new fuel line with inline filter. Petcock has some leak issues where the brass fittings are. Tightened them up but I don't want to crank on them and end up snapping one. Also need to re-look at my fuel line routing. With the filter where I have it I can't get the side cover on.

Gave it a bath.

Then spent the day dodging tourists while trying to find the sweet spots on the new steering damper knob.

Amazing, like buzzbait on bass, the bike reeled-in the curious at every stop.
About 95%, 'What is that?". 5%, "I remember those".

SonicBreak.jpg

Fiddle futzed on the resto mostly. Changed to virago 535 risers, a bit of a cludge getting them bolted to the top tripple but it all seems solid. Bars now about an inch back and up. Now the fork caps springs etc. come out without removing the handlebars. I can tune the spring rate on the cart emulators and change oil level more easily. Moved the rokform phone mount over to the clutch perch and put on a windshield I picked up. Redid the tach seal; used a different shaft with less corrosion and changed that thin little o-ring for a square section one, so far that stopped the oil leak. Off to Iola for the antique hot rod car show swap meet tomorrow, bout 200 miles of riding via the backroads.

Attachments

• hotrod resto 005.JPG
    hotrod resto 005.JPG
    508.9 KB · Views: 396
  • hotrod resto 006.JPG
    hotrod resto 006.JPG
    736.1 KB · Views: 159
Finally got the grommets for the headlight that I was waiting for. Put it all together and tested all the lights. Success!!! Had a leaking petcock (brand new too), drained the gas, and pulled it out. Ended up the washers on the nipple were bad so I replaced them and tested. No more leaking. Got the charger on the battery so that I can finally go for a ride this weekend and do the timing/carb sync.

Used the new conversation feature to speak with a member down the road who had some parts I was interested in. Slabbed a couple hours down the 401 today on my new FJ-09, came back with an '84 tank on the pillion and an exhaust system zip tied to the Givi mounts. The tank has a slight concavity that I will try to reduce with a suction cup, but the paint is really nice so it may do as is. The cross over pipe is rotted off and I am going to try to find a frost plug to stop up the holes with the help of some JB Weld and see if that works.

Attachments

• SAM_3879.JPG
    SAM_3879.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 161
  • SAM_3880.JPG
    SAM_3880.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 168
  • SAM_3881.JPG
    SAM_3881.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 151
I'll bet there were several that saw this and wondered " how does that exhaust work".
There is a size of freeze plug that fits really well I just can't remember it.

Rode about 60 miles, stalled at a couple of traffic lites, checked the advance weights and they aren't returning all the way, stopped at Triumph/Victory/Indian dealer and all the salespeople left the showroom to checkout the xs1.

Have put a few hundred miles on that little windshield, it makes a lot of difference, I'm not nearly as beat up after a hundred or 2 miles. And seems to be bumping MPG from 50 to 54. Need to get a few more tanks through it to confirm the mileage increase.

hotrod-resto-005-jpg.86315

Have put a few hundred miles on that little windshield, it makes a lot of difference, I'm not nearly as beat up after a hundred or 2 miles. And seems to be bumping MPG from 50 to 54. Need to get a few more tanks through it to confirm the mileage increase.

hotrod-resto-005-jpg.86315
That bike is real pretty, @gggGary!

Unrelatedly, I put in new exhaust crush gaskets and cured my decel popping issue :)

Just drained half a gallon of gas out of my crank case because my coworker thought it would be funny to turn off my petcock on a Friday. Instead he set it to prime and there it stayed over the weekend. Really funny joke.....

You guys think I should leave it open and air out for a couple days?

Back