What have you done to your XS today?

Indeed - there is a speed/gear combo that somehow seems amazingly calm and smooth - 4500 RPM in 5th gear. Slower is rougher and faster feels sort of "rushed".

Pete......................500 kms is a comfortble distance. However, if I'm riding for multiple days, I try to limit myself to 400 kms/day. Last summer I was really enjoying my bike and did 620 kms from Hinton AB to Calgary in one day, but my butt was sore for a few days after!

I find my preferred speed these days is 100 kms/hr which is 3800 rpm (17/33 gearing). Engine is very happy at that rpm.

I just fired up the bike and immediately turned off the choke, ( something I have been leaving on a minute or so ) and discovered she ran fine
with this warmer weather ! I let her idle a bit to warm up and she took throttle quite well even though she wasn't warm yet.... interesting a cold blooded motorcycle if I ever saw one ! LOL she likes the warm weather !
I let her warm up then pushed the RPM to 3000 and held it there and listened for the miss I was getting at last ride.... not a one !
so cleaning the raunchy fuze box did the trick.... I gott'a replace that silly thing !
Every sense I was about 5 years old I've always had a Pocket knife with me, these days I have a collection... if I have my Pants on I have my knife with me.....it is definitely Part of my wardrobe. perhaps being paranoid is one reason but it is a tool to me and I always have a good sharp Knife on me !
occasionally I will also have the Multi Tool with the pliers in it and other things,
Pete, at Autozone they have a fairly Cheap Multi Tool that would be perfect for the small tool pack under the seat.... Pliers, knife,screwdriver
and even one with a small crescent wrench on them.... a Must have for road side repairs ! I had a small one that I carried in my pocket that had a LED flashlight in it too..... super handy !
My bike loves 60 mph but seams to be straining at 70mph that's around 5,000RPM so I have been thinking of going to a smaller sprocket on the rear to get more top end speed and Keep the RPM's below 5K..... I like to travel at 70mph it just feels right to me ...always has ....
Bob......

I did a 50 mile trip today in the pouring rain with a plastic tool-box strapped on the seat. When I got home I discovered the plastic box had been touching the alloy frame at the back of the seat and had worn in a small but nasty little mark. Be aware of these alloy frames, they must be very soft or the plastic box contained a lot of mineral fillers.

I moved a bunch of junk out of the way in the back corner of my shed. a fold-up ping pong table, a small welder, a box with many planter pots on the seat, stuff on top of that etc etc. I found my 78 xs650sf. I dug it out, put the battery in it that has been kept inside and charged, now and then, for three years. Changed the oil (was clean as I put it away that way). Added some premium gas .... been sittin' 3 years in an outdoor shed and she started right up 2nd kick! Took it for a spin 500 yard down the road and back. Called insurance company ... registered ... I'm ON the ROAD! :)

It was built in the xs-650garage days around hmmmm 2007 with lots of help from those guys ... 700cc, mmm v34, camshaft by somebody I forget, even ported by Jack! Tossed in the Mikes 5th gear for good measure. Sure feels good ... been awhile.

edit ... I see my sig has more details than I remember ha!

Last edited:
since *Lil Red* is running so well I started this morning tearing down the black bike and the rest of the day sandblasting the frame, the next few weeks will be nothing but stripping, polishing and painting along with a top end rebuild and re-lacing the wheels.
001.JPG
002.jpg
Its been a long day, time for a beer !

So I have the wiring semi setup, enough for starting. I have spark on the plugs and my timing is correct, I know I only have about 100 lbs. of compression in the engine and I know it's too low, so here soon I'm going to check the clearance on my valves, but taking the exhaust off to remove the covers exposed a bunch of carbon buildup like right around the area where the exhaust bolts to the engine. Was their an oil leak from the previous owner? what should I do?

Finally got my bike to start after a 7 year sit. Idles pretty high so I have some tweaks to do. Get my headlight to work and then its custom wiring time >:). I'm thinking hidden kill switches or some shit.

Today was a big day for me. For the first time I was able to have both bikes running at the same time. My tracker has been a faithful servant for a long time but my drop seat bike has been a project for 1 1/2 years. I have had the engine done for about 4 years waiting the right opportunity to come along. The Ninja ex500 carbs just about made me crazy but they are running good but will need fine tuning. I'm chuffed to have them both running...............

I pulled the Left side plate the other night and then pulled the alternator brushes out to my surprise they are about 1/16" from the max ware
line !!!! so new brushes are definitely in order for this o'l girl ! sense I ordered brushes from China it will take a while to get here(end of the month or next month !) so I put the bike back together again.... I will check the charging again just to be sure it's still charging before I venture out on a ride.... I hate walking ! LOL
...with this bikes low milage I was quite surprised to find the brushes wore out !!!! it's only got 7800 miles on it all totaled ... so I was under the impression they would be in great shape ! BUT NOT SO !!!! so if you have a low milage machine and are under the impression it's actually a new bike..... you might consider checking the alternator brushes ! before you have electrical problems ! some times when the brushes quit working they take out the rectifier/regulator, and that's an expense Nobody needs ! ...
just a heads up !
...... Bob..........

Going to the Stripper/Dipper!!
Last week, stopped by a local shop that specializes in cleaning metal. Owner was happy to take small jobs to keep the equipment going in between the industrial customers, quoted me, subject to what I bring in, $50 - $75 to do my frame and some bits. I will report what it costs for my bunch of stuff, all the major non chrome items of my 74 TX 650A down to the air boxes. Threw in a King Sporty tank too so will see which one has more bondo in it.
I have only one headlight ear with original brown paint to match with, sure would like to get some idea of how Vegas Green was mixed. They say this bike is one of 12,125 produced. (Must have been the colour)

Attachments

• SAM_6171.JPG
    SAM_6171.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 179
LOL ! you won't recognize it when it comes back Lakeview ! how about clear coat and leave the metal all shinie ????
Bob.......

I'm not too far from dealing with the electrics on my project. reading the posts of people who have had problems with every type of system, I'm not sure how I want to go with mine. since this will be a 0 to very low mine bike, I am kinda leaning towards the stock ign. and charging system utilizing all new parts. Altho I did read a couple of posts from guys that had used a charging system that I believe was supplied by HHB. They seemed to be happy with that system and I didn't see any posts dealing with problems. I may look at that for my charging system. I have plenty of time since it is still way too hot here to think about working in the shop.

Hmmm......what to say.....

Many people feel that the HHB / MikesXS permanent magnet alternator (PMA) system is not of good quality and that the stock alternator works well as long as the brushes are maintained (an easy 20-30 minute task that costs $10-15 every 8-20,000 miles).
Many folks have replaced the stock voltage regulator and rectifier (two separate units) with a single modern solid state reg-rec module. There are a number of these available at low cost and they seem to work great - although, the original units also work fine - if they are properly maintained.

As for the ignition system, there is wide agreement that, while the original points setup works OK, it can be replaced with one or the other modern systems which are solid state, very reliable, provide a higher voltage spark for quicker, more reliable starts and require no maintenance beyond periodic spark plug changes.

The two most commonly used systems are:
  • The PAMCO system which can be purchased from MikesXS or direct from its designer - PAMCO Pete;
  • The British Boyer-Bransden system which is less common in North America, but nonetheless is highly regarded.
I'm sure that more members will wade into this interesting topic....

Last edited:
I've had no issues with the Boyer that came to me already installed. Other than sourcing the little terminals to attach the HT lead to the coil, but they come in the kit when first purchased.

Definitely more expensive than the basic Pamco options but on par when you're looking at the ultimate with E-advance. And, as I understand it, if you're going to go with a Pamco go whole hog.

Boyers require voltage at or above 11.5v. A Pamco works down into the single digits. Not really a problem for those who keep the charging system up to snuff.

With a Boyer, you must use the kit coil, Pamco can use all sorts of coils. The Boyer coil seems extremely rugged. On my bike it survived a long while firing shoddy, corroded HT leads. Cleaned it up, new wires, caps. Fires beautifully strong and even again.

Michael Morse at 650central has those hard to find crimp terminals. Also the full ignition kit. His service has been impeccable in my experience, and I'd go through him if I was to chose a new Boyer over Pamco.

This community predominantly uses Pamco, but the British have been using Boyers on their twins since the 60s.

I'm sure you could flip a coin and be happy with either ignition system.

I chose to replace my shot alternator with OEM parts and the regulator and rectifiers with simple, cheap modern components.

if it were me..... I'ed stick with the points setup adjusting points once a year is no big deal to me and I know it's right and can vary the timing if I so desire, something I cannot do with the TCI in my bike ( so far, but I'm working on it !)
I'ed stick with the points for 2 main reasons it's FAR CHEAPER ! and it works darn good 90% of the time
as for the charging system I would definitely keep it stock.
Maxpete's 8 to 20k miles is very VERY optimistic, I read in the 81 manual today they recommend replacing the alternator brushes every 5k miles , how ever I have 7800 miles on my bike and the brushes are at the ware limit now.
so there you have it ! <grin>
Bob.........

Bob Kelly - I too would stick with the points if already fitted. I am comfortable with points and setting the timing. Had lots of experience with my RD250 and old cars way back. The points also give you the opportunity to fiddle with the bike when bored. My SH came with TCI which I ditched for a modern upgrade. I went for the locally made Boyer Bransden and have been very pleased with it (5 Year Guarantee on the electronics module).

The Boyer system is a bit more limiting regarding coils. The coil in the Kit is better known by the name Gill and there have been reliability issues raised by some regarding these. The ignition coil can be replaced with other coils that have a resistance in the range 0.6 - 1.5 ohms. The use of coils above 1.5 ohms may result in a poor spark at high rpm according to Boyer Bransden.

Back