What have you done to your XS today?

I changed the angle of my handle bars and controls a bit.... seeing if I can get away without having to bend the handle bars again.
I pulled the tach off and discovered my JB weld job on it didn't hold and replaced the needle on the tach face with a straw from a WD-40 can
.... put it all back together and the straw was hitting the glass.... so I pulled it apart again and will try to sand it down some for clearance
.... I cleaned the contacts on the original fuze box again.... hoping that will cure the periodic miss I was getting the other day...
I'll replace that worthless fuze box asap !
Bob.........

The new "early Yamaha" mirrors were delivered Saturday am. I went to a picnic/cookout Saturday, ya know the old guy that plays with the kids and gets hurt_well, that's me, bruised ribs. Those nice clamp-on mirrors are sitting till the chest stops hurting and the meds clear from my head! john

When I bought my red 1976 XS650C (Lucille) in Feb. 2016, she was a non-functioning hay and cowsh!t covered mess. Nothing worked, the engine would turn with the kicker - reluctantly and everything was corroded. The electrical system had been severely molested and the carbs and tank were full of rust and something that looked like cottage cheese. Both handlebar switches were totally toasted and the wiring harness was....in very very poor shape. After a lot of work and little bit of dough, I finally got her running in July, 2016. I loved doing the work - it truly was fun.

She had 22,189 miles on her at that point, and today she turned over 24,661 miles (that's 2472 miles or about 4000 km since start-up). She's only stranded me once and it was entirely my fault because I ran her out of fuel last August while I was having fun exploring her...let's just say, her upper speed range on a freeway. Otherwise, she has been a great friend and a delightful companion on the road. After the resurrection, she has evolved into a really nice motorcycle that is safe and reliable and a blast to ride.

All you guys who have a stock XS650 - think carefully before chopping, hard-tailing, etc. These are really great bikes - just as MamaYama built them.

Back to Lucille....despite my best efforts, she does still have some significant appearance and operating defects and so, this past week and today, I fixed a couple of annoying issues and made a really major improvement on Lucille:
  1. Her front forks leaked - A LOT. I think that the leak has tapered off recently only because the oil was all over the front of the bike The fork seals were obviously blown and the fork tubes were badly pitted.
  2. Lucille has had a mild but consistent backfire issue. She almost always pops when I start her and usually when decelerating. I don't really mind that much - I have taken it on as part of the charm of riding an old bike - but I know that it indicates a tuning problem and it should be fixed. I have figured out that the popping is likely caused by an exhaust system leak and so early on, I tried to change the exhaust header gaskets but they were seized in place - so I just left them. She also has a high speed miss which comes and goes.
  3. Her header pipes were badly dented and scraped - likely from a fall with crash bars that folded back and hammered the pipes. They work fine as headers, but they look crummy and I don't think they can be fixed.
  4. Her front fender is scratched and the horizontal fender stay is badly crushed - probably from the crash mentioned above. As with the headers - not terribly important from a functional standpoint, but not very pretty.
  5. Her left and right hand side engine cases are badly corroded and in need of a deep polish.
  6. Her tank is a bit dented and dinged up - and the decals should be replaced. From 10 feet away, she looks OK, but up close....not so much
So, I decided that this two week period is "Lucille Week" and I did quite a bit of stuff which has been fun and gratifyingly effective!
  • Last week I bought a new set of fork tubes, seals and progressive springs and did the full meal deal on Lucille's 34mm forks. I have described that in a separate thread. The job is interesting, not expensive and certainly not particularly difficult. If your bike has fork troubles, read that thread and some other good ones, buy the required parts, set aside a couple of days (if you're slow like me) and go for it.
  • Today I installed a beautiful shiny fender and set of stays that I got from forum member GeorgeOC - and it looks fabulous!
  • Also today I decided that, CHoHW, those bad exhaust header pipe gaskets were coming out, so I got my nasty metal-eating sealer puller and out they both came - in a sort of messy, but harmless way. I then installed new gaskets and a set of beautiful shiny OEM headers that I also got from GeorgeOC (he truly is one of the nicest people on the forum).
The key point, aside from the major appearance enhancement due to the new fender and headers, is that with the new exhaust gaskets in place, the backfiring and high speed miss are...ABSOLUTELY GONE. I just got back from a 40 mile ride and she didn't backfire even once, plus I held her open several times and got her up to...well let's just say, more than 4000 rpm in 5th and she ran as smooth as a baby's bum. Amazing!

We really appear to have turned a corner in terms of civility, reliability and appearance - and I couldn't be happier.

OK - so now, it's on to the fuel tank cosmetic issues and the engine case polishing. Any advice on case polishing - gratefully accepted!

Cheers, and thanks for listening.

Pete

Way to go Pete! Good news all round.

Any advice on case polishing - gratefully accepted!

Re: case polishing. Lot's of different methods used on here. I did mine about a year ago while waiting for parts. All done by hand with Autosol.
A lot more work than starting with some power assist, but fills some time, and I'm no stranger to hand polishing/finishing work.
Google "French Polishing" sometime.

Haven't done a ding-danged thing on the XS.

Been embroiled in battles with cactus...
Cactus-6-2017.jpg

TM, is that prickly pear? We got a bunch of that here too. Its like a weed. On another subject....I changed the crash bar on the SG. I got it in a lot purchase with other XS650 stuff. I'll add a pic tomorrow. Its late.

That's OK TM.....I can get all I need from the neighbor. Not that I want any.. Just put a "leaf" on the ground and it will grow roots in time. We call it prickly pear here too. Grows everywhere.....

Nice!

Hey Lance: just noticed that you are a Michigander - how about ridin' that badboy out to the big SE-MI / SW-ON meeti-up tomorrow at Vinsetta Garage in Berkeley MI! Here are the details:
  • DATE: Sat. July 15 - 2017 (that is THIS weekend - just 1 more sleep)
  • TIME: 11:00 AM (that will ensure that we get a table and give us time to oggle each other's bikes)
  • LOC: Vinsetta Garage Restaurant
27799 Woodward Ave.
Berkley, MI 48072
(248) 548-7711

As noted earlier, they do not take reservations - BUT - I was told that if we get there when the place opens at 11:00 AM - there will be tables available.

Please let me know if you plan to come so that I can grab an appropriately sized table as soon as they open at 11:00 AM.

XS650s preferred but all bikes welcome and if your bike is down - drive your Mom's K-Car or Tempo - all are welcome.

Pete

Nice!

Hey Lance: just noticed that you are a Michigander - how about ridin' that badboy out to the big SE-MI / SW-ON meeti-up tomorrow at Vinsetta Garage in Berkeley MI!

Sorry MaxPete... already have plans for tomorrow. does these event happen every year?

Humm.... I did sumptin..... don't know what it was, can't remember !
well, besides taking a BFH to the fender under the seat so my tool bundle would fit easier...... LOL hay it worked !!!!! LOL

Bob.....

Did an oil change today after 150 miles on a rebore. The oil contains incredibly fine iron dust which is barely visible to the naked eye. Note the colour before (Left) and after (Right):
IMG_0682.JPG
Also cut some more cardboard squares(0.4mm thick from a biscuit box):
IMG_0681.JPG
These squares are very handy. I put one under the idle adjustment screw when I start the bike and it gives just a little boost to the rpms when warming up. As soon as I use the throttle the cardboard drops out.

Bob, I use Fuchs Silkolene Super 4 20W-50 Semi Synthetic motorcycle oil: Suitable for wet clutches (MA2).

Last edited:
Thanks Paul !
I got to looking at the air flow on my bike to the head and cylinders and discovered the Horn is in the way..... so I moved it !
I took the bracket off of the horn added a 1" long by 1" wide extension to the horn holder part and bent it out at a bit of an angle
and put it back on , but flipped the bracket upside down, it now resides Up higher and under the goose neck and funnels the air down to the head instead of blocking it entirely...... a worthwhile project for you guys with welders !
..... and it beeps louder now too ! LOL
Bob..........

Thinking about the horn modification, I always wondered just how effective the Suzuki Ram Air System was on their GT125, 185, 250, 380 and 550s??

their must be something to it because the XRL650 Honda Single had hudge air scoops for the engine ( although it worked fine without them)
sense the xs650 is a Hot running engine I think every little bit helps ! I may add a 1/8" x12" long 2" wide plate on the down tubes above the motor mount in front at an angle to scoop in more air.... couldn't hurt after all !
Bob.......

Made a rubber battery strap using an old bicycle inner tube, contact adhesive and a stainless bicycle spoke - all bits left over from previous projects:
IMG_0683.JPG
This little project was inspired by 5twins homemade leather battery strap that appeared in the thread
'77-'79 Standard In-Dash Voltmeter.

- Thank you.

Back