What have you done to your XS today?

I did 2M's neat little mod of the clutch worm lever.... right off the bat I damaged the seal cup so I spent hours getting it back into a useable shape.... but got the lever bent and wound up taking it off the worm gear and then tacking it back on there
put it all back together and it is easier to pull the clutch now.... Kind'a disappointed that it isn't a great deal easier but considering what was done and it only took about 3 hours to do... it's a well worth it project.... the clutch actuates easier with less pull and shifts in and out of neutral easy with no trouble finding neutral at all....just like before if not even a tad better ! ....
all in all it's worth doing ...just be careful of the seal cup that thing looks stout but it is just pressed tin can material !
LOL....
Bob.............

Completed putting my top end back together last night. This is the second time in the last month because following a re-bore I had trouble with the valves not rotating on one side. Went for a short ride today and noticed oil on the cylinder gasket so returned home and re-torqued the head. Set out again and after about 5 miles heard a strange noise from the top end. I looked down to see oil spraying about so stopped immediately. The right inlet valve cover had come quite loose and one acorn nut was missing. Bit of scare but I only lost about a quarter liter of oil. What a mess from the oil, so on this occasion I will not blame the PO. I had just fitted those Athena paper gaskets because the O-rings were in a bad state. It may be they compressed and settled a bit to leave the nuts a bit loose. I had a similar but less severe issue years ago with paper gaskets coming loose so will switch back to O-rings.

Tomorrow - Clean up the mess!!!

I forgot to say, I know where the oil was leaking from now!!

Last edited:
Bob Kelly III - I had a mate who took his shield off then hit a bumble bee at about 60 mph. Gave him a black eye but lucky it didn't blind him.

Max Pete - Congrates on the 81. We must meet up some time, halfway??

Halfmile - I like the braiding. It really is the modern look and goes with all your other mods. I hope to see a final photo soon.

thats very tasty halfmile, lets see some full bike shots .
Where did the swingarm come from ?

fired up the bike ...like usual it fired an the 2nd revolution ...started and ran fine till I took the choke off then it was a bit lean sense it was still cold..... ran it a bit and tried to keep the R's above 2000 RPM for a bit to re charge the battery a bit then turned it off...still waiting on licenses
....licenses should not cost an frigging arm and leg and your first born !!!!! but that's california for ya !
Bob.........

Went for a 200 km shakedown run yesterday. The only real problem I encountered is the rear brake squeals like crazy on light application.

20170607_174738.jpg

Wow Nice Looking Machine ! Well done !
....I think there is supposed to be metal shields under the brake pads to prevent that brake squeal.....
Bob.........

Johnnyc14. What a inspiring piece of equipment!! Outstanding Job!! Just seeing this makes me want to get back to my old school scrambler project ASAP.

I spent the whole weekend wiring up the current POS project only to find out that the Chinese integrated tail light, turn signals, brake light, tag light, license plate mount had a bad printed circuit and let the current bleed through to the headlight when the brake light came on. Hooked up another old tail light and it worked as it should so a new better tail light and separate turn signals are on order. Another week long set back for sure. For the outrageous price of $3.95 including free shipping from Hong Kong, you would have thought that it would work at least once?
This pic below was taken in the in the Quality Control Dept at the Chinese tail light mfg plant. This highly experienced worker is sorting the different color wire used in the mfg process. What could possibry go wong??
upload_2017-7-3_13-56-5.jpeg

Peanut. I modified a stock swing arm with a home made brace. I didn`t have any dimensions so I just guessed at what looked like it would work. Has good chain clearance all around.

I was shooting for a July 4th completion date but looks like the 15th is more like it. Pics to come.

Last edited:
Paul: St Johns Newfoundland would be a superb plasce to meet. There are some great fish & chips shops there and the BEvERag s are superior! I'm looking forward to it!

JohnnyC - wow. That's all I've got. Just wow.

Bob - good for you - well done my friend! Hey - when you went for your test ride did you wear your XS650 tee shirt?

Today, Lucille and I took another nice ride and those nice new forks feel great. I had also replaced the alternator brushes (the outer one was worn to the limit - surprise!!) and she started instantaneously as before. What a great motorcycle these 1970s XS650 standards really are.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Endee came by and we got my bike to actually run pretty good.
We had to rob jets from one carb I had plus some existing jets to get it going.
It runs very well I think except,,,,
There is a little clutch slippage but that's pretty easy fix compared to all the heartaches and headaches of the last 2.5 years it took to build this bike.
I thank him and every other member here who contributed when I asked stupid questions.
Here it is running
Endee is riding

Hey halfmile, I have found that you have to spend at least $9.95 (USD) (including shipping) from some Asian countries for 'quality' components....

MaxPete : YES SIR ! I sure did ! And I wore it Proudly too !
are you the one I need to thank for the shirt ?
Bob.......

Someone bought me a T-shirt and I dunno who it was .... but I want to thank him !
..... you'ed do something like that Pete ! i bet it was you !
.lol
Bob.........

Hmmmmm.....you never know......

Anyhow - happy 4th of July, Bob and all my American friends. You guys are the greatest.

I will never forget, when I was working in the oil fields in Nigeria in the early 80s, a Dutch colleague said that whenever there is a disaster, the first people flying in with a plane load of blankets and food are the US, the Canadians, the Brits or the ANZACs - or all five.

Having said that - in the spirit of good natured cross-border teasing, I simply cannot resist posting the graphic below and I sure do hope that nobody takes offence.

Pete

IMG_0968.JPG

I spent the entire morning making a short kickstand. If my better tail light assy comes today I`ll have the current project completely done tomorrow. We`ll see?kick stand 001.JPG kick stand 002.JPG

Back