What have you done to your XS today?

Today on my XSe I replaced the throttle tube & grip with an awesome one found at a cycle swap last summer. Pulled the rectifier and left cover , tho I thought that was all good, here I go again, yuck. My krypyonite. Remember when I didn't believe my ohm meter so I dumped my beer on it ? Wel, just this eve in this new town Vanvouver Ive spotted this in a pawn shop window lol.. what do you think of this ? Tomorrow after coffee Im walking back there lol ..fyi I got my redhair cut by a super cute gal today, they love to play in my hair.. if I could just keep my mouth under control I'd prob get more than a "maybe" next time hahaa
I have the same meter, Of the 3 meters i have its the one i use the most

Pulled the carbs on the "new" 81 and have them in the utrasonic cleaner this morning, Carb kits are ordered. The polishing will continue fo the next couple weeks to come LOL.

Bought a AGM rated .75a battery charger. Charging the new battery...
Update 2130hrs (9:30pm)MST. Got solid green light! It's finally charged!

Last edited:
got the rear and front wheels back on with some new tires. Spent like 2 days cleaning the 40 years of grime off them. The clear coat is starting to come off the front rim which was irritating but I decided to just leave it for now. Trying to get at least one test ride in before the snow starts!

Attachments

• IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 191
SUCCESS! I figured out why my charging system wasn't working. I needed a jumper wire from the plug off the alternator to the main harness. I had the regulator hooked up to the brushes but it needs a jumper wire on the brown wire to the main harness. One less problem to deal with....
Now I can go out and take pics of old filling stations!!

Last edited:
It's not much, but it's a start. Got my new rocker arm shaft plugs, from mikes, I had to repair the threads on three out of the four to get them to fit. Got them polished and the housing assembled. Now i'm looking at splitting the cases to get the innards swapped over into the new cases. I tried to find someone to do the swap but they all wanted $4-500.00 labor so I think,forn that much I will learn a little more about this engine than I wanted and do the swap myself.IMG_1489.JPG

Yesterday I re-positioned the shocks to lay them down for more travel and a softer ride on the Dualsport tracker build, today I did a 80 mile test ride including 40 miles of( at times) Knarley jeep trails and a bit of singletrack over a 3000 ft gain in alttitude, it is surprisingly capable offroad and with the lower center of gravity actually handles tight trails better than my old XR 400 , neither the rider or any extraneous parts fell off although I did bend the right mirror hitting a tree branch. Beautiful fall day in the Rockies.
Just about ready to tear it down and detail it out.
Shock angle before >>
001.jpg
Shock angle now>>
003.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

Doug79, just be systematic and photograph each step before and after. Try to keep all the nuts, bolts and springs sorted into groups. I did one in 1984 and was surprised just how easy it came apart and went back together. My previous experience was with a bike engine where the casings split vertically and the bearings were needles without cages. Had to stick them in place with thick grease to stop them falling out on reassembly. Thankfully the XS is not like that at all.

Got the carb kits installed and carbs back on the bike,cleaned out the tank installed new fuel and vacuum lines, put inline filter on. Bought a battery Put fresh gas in and she fired up on the third rotation. Sounds great, no unusual noises, no cam chain noise. Rode it around the yard and down the dirt road behind my house, shifts nice and good throttle response, I've got a runner:). Continuing the polishing and looking at tires.

CBJamie, nice little sissy bar. Matches in well with the alloy bar at back of seat. Where did you get it, or did it come with the bike? How does it attach at the back, does it use the tail light bolts? I am looking for something similar for an 81 Special - Thank you.

Edit: I have just seen your other post. What a bargain? All my questions are now answered.

Last edited:
IT came on the bike, it mounts at the shock bolts and the turnsignal bolts. I may have another on my 79 special, it doesn't have a pad and is a little taller. I'm thinking aftermarket pieces. I'll look for any markings.

Jimbo W, on my XS SH I find the best way to remove the carbs is to remove the following
  • Filter/air boxes
  • Oil dip stick (plug the hole with tissue so nothing falls in)
  • The big domed nut on the cam chain adjuster
  • Left side cover to get clutch cable out of way
  • Breather pipe
  • Obviously the throttle cable/fuel line.
Seems a lot of work but opens up lots of room for removing the carburetors. Also, now that I have Allen screws holding the float bowl in place it is very easy to adjust the fuel level with the carbs left in place. Just made an adjustment yesterday and it was a breeze.
Well, not too hard to do in the end. Didn't remove left cover though. Realised I had a fuel filter tucked down the back there all the time. Replaced the hardened fuel line. Managed to loosen the fuel tap spigot & cause leak when fitting hose back on - hadn't realised they are an interference fit. Fixed it with epoxy.

Didn't find any muck in the carbs, looked pretty clean & diaphram good. Replaced carbs & it started on both. Then it went back to only the right cyl. Drained left carb float bowl - ran good again, rode round the block. Switched off on return. Re-started shortly after - back on one again. Drained float bowl but that didn't fix it this time. Gave up. Today I swapped plug leads over but problem is still on left side. Looks like I'll need to pull the carbs again.
Bike ran fine until I made that fatal error with my drill looking for the mixture screw with brain disengaged so no surprise to me that it must be carb-related. Must have missed something in there do you think?
On the plus side - I recently replaced the original front brake m/c with a smaller-bore one from Yam TTR-250 traillie along with new one-piece braided hose & XS1100 slotted disc. Apart from a nightmare trying to bleed it (vacuum pump sorted it eventually) it works great. Much better feel at lever & very neat looking. Original parts now on ebay!

Back