What have you done to your XS today?

Went to ride Lucille today and fuel was pissing out of the overflow tubes. I gave her a couple of clouts with a screwdriver handle but no-go.

So....I just placed an order with Boats.net for a set of OEM Yamaha float valves & seats.

Sigh.....

Oye oye oye! Pete! Lucille is really testing you! Man! That ain't right!

Well, I’ve got three gorgeous, brilliant, devoted, but tough and independent red-haired daughters and somewhere the eldest ran across the poster below and had it hung on her wall at university. She passed it along to Daughter #2 who has given it to Daughter #3 who now proudly displays it in her apartment.

It seems that my life is dominated by recalcitrant red-heads.....who don’t always wish to do what I want them to do. Not to worry - we’ll get there. I’m no quitter.

The only thing missing on that poster is the word “Dad” (or “Pete” in Lucille’s case...) right after the word “enough”.

BCDF8676-4E88-4602-AD95-C4B3E422230D.jpeg

Well, I’ve got three gorgeous, brilliant, devoted, but tough and independent red-haired daughters and somewhere the eldest ran across the poster below and had it hung on her wall at University. She passed it along to Daughter #2 who has given it to Daughter #3.

It seems that my life is dominated by recalcitrant red-heads.....who don’t always wish to do what I want them to do.

The only thing missing is the word “Dad” (or “Pete” in Lucille’s case...) right after the word “enough”.

View attachment 107765
I love it, Pete !
I don't know if you will ultimately prevail over your daughters, but I'm sure that Lucille will respond well to your interventions :)

Well, I’ve got three gorgeous, brilliant, devoted, but tough and independent red-haired daughters and somewhere the eldest ran across the poster below and had it hung on her wall at university. She passed it along to Daughter #2 who has given it to Daughter #3 who now proudly displays it in her apartment.

It seems that my life is dominated by recalcitrant red-heads.....who don’t always wish to do what I want them to do. Not to worry - we’ll get there. I’m no quitter.

The only thing missing on that poster is the word “Dad” (or “Pete” in Lucille’s case...) right after the word “enough”.

View attachment 107765

I love it! But poor Pete, you are so hormonally out numbered!

We live in hope Dude!

Hormonally outnumbered - right you are Mailman! But their Mom was out of town this weekend and #1 was home for a friend’s wedding and she kindly did my laundry this AM - so maybe I’m finally getting some of my own back.

Dude - you should start a thread about sister stories! I’ve got one sort of like that but not about gravy - it’s about my older sister’s first boyfriend!

Today on my XSe I replaced the throttle tube & grip with an awesome one found at a cycle swap last summer. Pulled the rectifier and left cover , tho I thought that was all good, here I go again, yuck. My krypyonite. Remember when I didn't believe my ohm meter so I dumped my beer on it ? Wel, just this eve in this new town Vanvouver Ive spotted this in a pawn shop window lol.. what do you think of this ? Tomorrow after coffee Im walking back there lol ..fyi I got my redhair cut by a super cute gal today, they love to play in my hair.. if I could just keep my mouth under control I'd prob get more than a "maybe" next time hahaa

Attachments

• 20171021_184427.jpg
    20171021_184427.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 20171021_184443.jpg
    20171021_184443.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 187
TM, will be nice to get an opinion regarding valve rotation as well. Also, when removing the adjuster at a later date watch the ball does not drop out and fall down the oil drain. Apparently this can be an issue once the grease inside has been replaced by oil. I saw this comment on the web months ago - Maybe the SR500 website??

Hmmmm....Blue Point ohm-meter. I’d check it first and then easily go $10-15 on it.

Recalcitrant Definition:

re·cal·ci·trant
rəˈkalsətrənt/
adjective
  1. 1.
    having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline.
    "a class of recalcitrant fifteen-year-olds"
    synonyms: uncooperative, intractable, obstreperous, truculent, insubordinate, defiant, rebellious, willful, wayward, headstrong, self-willed, contrary, perverse, difficult; More

noun
  1. 1.
    a person with an obstinately uncooperative attitude.
So, recalcitrant does not mean “bad” but rather, it suggests difficult, challenging and independent-minded...or as the Brits might say “bloody-minded”.

Sometimes when my wife (she’s the source of the red hair) and I are having a “disagreement”, I will observe: “my dear, you’re taking this red-hair thing too far”.

That is usually said over my shoulder while running away.

Last edited:
Replaced the battery and VR. Cleaned up the wiring in that area. Last Wed night was bike night. I rode to and back on battery power alone. That seemed to have burned the battery up because it's not taking a charge. Or the charger I got won't charge an AGM battery. The regulator burned out when I changed some wires around and swapped some connections the wrong way. It was under warranty so it was free.

Built myself a 2 to 1 intake to mate a harley 883 carb to the 750 tracker, fired right up although will require some jetting changes.
I am really liking the single carb setups although for the tracker I will likely run the BS38's since I ride from 5000ft to 10,000 ft on that bike and the BS carbs are more forgiving to altitude changes. ( forgive the hightemp RTV , had to reuse old gaskets)
The " Dualsport Tracker build is coming along , XS 400 wheels installed with new rubber, KLX 650 forks shortened and setup nicely, and DT 175 gas tank adapted. still have to stitch up a seat cover and finish alot of details.
020.jpg
001.jpg

I pulled the battery out of the bike and tried to drain the float bowls..... which was puzzling....
I left the petcock on the down position.... vacuum operated petcock mind you....
drained the gas out of the left side but it kept trickling out...never stopped.... drained the right float bowl and it drained out completely and stopped...... but the left one never did....
if the petcock was leaking which I suspect it is... wouldn't both float bowls display the same never-ending flow ? i waited a good long time to see if the right one would start leaking after the left one was turned back off... but it never did.... very strange
...but obviously a leaking vacuum petcock.... at least on One side ..... but the other side don't ???? that's impossible ! they are fed by One line
that T's to both carbs.... it can't do that !
Bob.......

Back