What have you done to your XS today?

took her for her maiden voyage yesterday around the neighborhood. It was pretty successful. Still have a few issues though, front brake has zero modulation and locks up super easy (it was wet out but I almost rear ended a truck at a stop sign). Front brake pressure switch doesn't turn the brake light on. Back brake does nothing, shoes looked good when I had it apart so probably just adjusting the rod. Turn signals just stay on and make a terrible buzzing noise (relay).

All in all a good first ride!

Well, those are all fairly typical issues with "oldies" becoming "newies" again Tron - so it looks like you've got yourself a ball game there!

Pete

Been working on this, bet you can guess what bike it's headed for. found it on CL in northern Wisconsin last winter, the wheel bearings were the worst seized I have ever seen, replacements on order. A bit corroded but cleaned up fine for a rider. The matching rear will be a bigger project, have to make spacers, and have to convert the bike to disk rear, will show some details when I get going on it.
DSCN8438.JPG

DSCN8439.JPG

Last edited:
What is the difference between the first two photos (I must be missing something)?

Also - I guess that is red paint you are stripping off in photo #3.

Finally, what sort of wheels are those - not Suzuki GS wheels and certainly not stock Yamaha Specials or Honda Comstars...

I posted a thread a while back about finding what I am sure is the very bike I owned back in 1977-78. It was a YouTube video for a British auction house and appeared to be a couple years old. It had those very wheels on the bike as well as the rear wheel disc brake conversion. Keep us posted with updates Gary, I for one am very interested!

Wheels are Yamaha.... :sneaky:
I even have the paperwork. Guy I bought the rear from had the complete XS650 rear wheel version with brake kit but he wasn't letting go of it!

Last edited:
So, they were dealer aftermarket accessories? Interesting, I’ve never seen them here in Canada - even back in the day.

EDIT: just saw your confirmatory post Denisewa.

gggGary I've wondered how the rear might match/mate up with an OEM rear disc set-up on a special frame.
They are going on period piece?

Yupper! You got it, that's the burgundy paint. Front is getting an FZR rotor perhaps the rear also.
would rather get a smaller OD rear rotor but light weight will be trump. Will prolly be mixing and matching some disk rear brake parts to the drum frame but first the rear bearing/axle spacers need to be turned. I got the aluminum stock from an ebayer that deals in cored aluminum round bar drops. as usual a story there. I'll follow up on that star wheel thread 2many obligingly dug up.

Two books came in the mail today. A quick leaf through Mr. Pahl's book backs up the good reviews.
Sprung for the bigger one to get free shipping, plus to keep the mental wheels turning. Fortunately, i have no space or time for a pick up project, but a 55 or 56 on a late model 4WD frame would sure tick a lot of boxes.

Attachments

• SAM_6474.JPG
    SAM_6474.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 245
Since I had an unmolested frame sitting around, last friday I decided to strip the "cop" bike and build another tracker , most time consuming has been building the carbon fiber electronics tray and getting the geometry for the monoshock just right, after several mock-ups I threw the math out the window and got it right, 5 inches of travel and really nice articulation with tons of preload,comp and damping adjustment available . the plan is to do another inverted front end, brace the swingarm, Pamco&PMA and I have a set of aluminum rims , just have to lace em up. lots of fab work yet to do but I'm pleased with the result so far.
yesterday I recieved the "Delkevic" stainless pipes, super high quality and the best looking in my opinion.
so four days of work turned this >>>
013.jpg

into this >>>>

001.jpg
002.jpg

004.jpg

Back