What have you done to your XS today?

The engine noise could be valve clearances that are too large, but it also sounds like the timing chain is rattling. I would go through the entire valve adjustment process:
  1. Torque the cylinder head (done cold - and DO use a torque wrench and follow the correct pattern)
  2. Adjust the timing chain tension (do it while running and not too tight)
  3. Adjust the valve clearances. (done cold)
It is important to do the above IN THAT ORDER so that all of those potential issues are eliminated.

Now, after checking all of that, if the engine is still rattling, then I would remove the side filter and drop the sump plate off the bottom of the engine and see what you find. A little bit of metal stuff and some small specs of black plastic is fairly normal (though less of each is definitely better than more) but if you find large pieces of hard black plastic - especially if they are long, say the size of a toothpick or longer, then your front cam chain guide has likely begun to disintegrate - and that could account for the loud rattle.

Check out my thread: “Lucille pulls another one on me” to learn more about the front timing chain guide issue.

As for the exhaust noise issue - check and see if the above valve adjustment helps and if not, then you’ve likely got an ignition or carburetor problem and there are others on the Forum who can help way better than I with those issues.

Pete
Thanks. I'm going to see if the mechanic at the Indy shop will let me watch.

So I know the lighting in this video isnt the greatest, but I noticed this morning after a 3 kick cold start with choke that my bike’s exhaust is notably more visable. I’m assuming that since my old exhaust was so rusted out that the exhaust was dispersed differently and thus less visable, but I wanted to get others opinions. I’ve just never actually seen exhaust coming from my bikes pipes before, so it’s a new experience. This doesnt qualify as “white” smoke which would be indicative of oil loss right? It was a foggy, damp morning around 45 degrees on a cold start from sitting 4 to 5 days. I had the idle turned up too so it could warm up. After running a bit it seems to go away and be invisible. I did retard the timing a bit too a week or so ago; I had been running it quite a bit advanced last year. Could timing have much effect on exhaust smokiness? I’m probably being paranoid....

Last edited:
I also turned a couple of aluminum front axle spacers today, dropping around 200 g of unsprung weight. On the RH spacer, I just re-used the stock sheetmetal cup/ shield. On the LH side, where the speedo drive was, I need to machine a thin alloy washer and press on to the spacer. The plan is to use Daytona Velona tach and speedo, getting rid of the drive cables and heavy stock gauges as well.

Finished rh side muffler hanger as well. Looks like the bike may actually be ready for the road in May sometime, although still on stock bore and cam. My 750 kit and 277 crank will have to wait a bit more it seems...

Sorry that all pics are mirror image, I had to use the "selfie camera" and couldn't be bothered with saving and editing......

Attachments

• 15544919815261530690061.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 1554492282341982713363.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 15544923380372026510327.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 155
20190406_150902-1.jpg
First 50 mile ride and a historical site.
Got the over winter cobwebs shook out today and stopped at the Elgin Settlement historical site for a picture.
This was a utopian settlement for freed/escaping slaves in the middle 1800's.

Bike performed very well, I thought I could feel the motor smoothing out after the first half hour. Pleased.

In an attempt to quiet down the usual valve train clatter on my 79F I've confirmed the valve clearances are set "spot on" I must say.
So, I did play with my cam chain adjustment previously with the engine running and it seems that I got a little wild experimenting and lost by turning it too far loose..
I have put it closer to correct again with the manual turning over of the engine and look forward to " fine tuning" more carefully next time soon with the engine idling.
:thumbsup:
20190406_132806(0).jpg
20190406_132928.jpg

My rear tire and headlight Visor arrived today. It was 70 and sunny so I had to go for a ride. Rode about 60 miles around all the small towns I went to high school around. I’m not sure if I like the visor or not. J&P sent me an offer for a small discount on new tires. Really dissapointed. I’ll probably try to swap the shinko on myself this week as it’s supposed to be rainy. I don’t want to be wasting money paying people to mount tires. I still have a slight wobble up front from the wheel not being perfectly true. I am really fighting the temptation to spend100.00 on a truing stand and a spoke set.

Rain and more rain this weekend.
As previously mentioned to be on my list ,
I correctly confirmed this time the benefit of fine tune adjusting the cam chain tensioner while idling the engine.
Just a very little in to tighten and out to loosen motion with the adjuster proved to myself now that the valve train clatter can be further reduced.
While there idling I also played with the mixture screw adjustments. Out at 1/2 revolution increments until a idle stumble was detectd than back in to a sweet spot.
If the roads dried up here it would nice to Sunday ride this smooth runner. Its a one kicker easy now.
But.. my truck needs attention too.
-Randy
20190407_134915.jpg

Back