What have you done to your XS today?

I feel like it would be better for the bikes center of gravity if the luggage rack was over the back of the seat vs over the fender. Maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference

Last edited:
My Luggage Rack came in yesterday. No idea what Yamaha it's off of. I really liked my grab rail but I needed a place to carry my Whiskey.
The hole centers were 8 1/4 inches not the 10 1/4 of some of the newer bikes, so it fit. But I had to revert back to the turn signal ears that bolted under the aft rack brackets, frame and fender. The shoulder bolt was too short and finding a longer one by 1/4 inch was hopeless.
Ok, took a 3/4 inch bolt, cut the head off and put it in the lathe. Turned down the 3/4 inch bolt to 15mm. Step drilled a .385 hole to about two inches in depth.
View attachment 164941
Cut the "bushings" off to 14.5 mm long, 2 each.
View attachment 164942
Slip the bushing over the longer bolt and were in business.
The rack looks a bit long? Maybe not as high at the seat but what the hay, I did get a Chevron type Sissy bar with 10 1/4 between centers.I can cut the arms down and install it and use a Mole pack but I'll try this first.
View attachment 164944
View attachment 164945
Hummmm will have to see.

Good adaptation! That should do a good job of hauling your groceries!

Obviously I can't blame the rockers for being the problem but I did notice this when I removed the burnt ones. Little guy slipped past whatever quality control mikes xs has in place. It doesn't look that bad in the photos but those pits are pretty deep

Attachments

• 20200414_173825.jpg
    20200414_173825.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
So how much you wanna sell me the grab rail for?

hahaha Oh, no. I really liked it, TZ. Especially the little ears the turn signals mounted on. It was a clean looking install. I thought about making the little ears and welding them on to the rack and back to the clean looking install. I'll use the frame mounts for now. However the sissy bar has the turn signal ears on it!

Ran the blockade and dragged this home in the van.
View attachment 164589
started 2nd kick, runs, sounds good, lots of oil smoke, guy was straight about that, you can see it in the pic LOL. Still in the van will nose around it a bit tomorrow. Loud pipes.
And it's gone, with a stock seat and gauges on it. Can't trust ANYONE to just look in the shed these days.
Anyone interested in a nice cafe seat for an 80 up special? :sneaky:

20190904_135407-1.jpg
The One Time Throwing Money at it Actually Worked!

Brought it out of storage a bit ago, put a brand new bargain battery in it and it spun the motor a couple times and gave up. I cleaned all connections and replaced the cable to the starter and it maybe gave me three tries.
Having counselled the odd newby on the site not to throw money at a project but to think and reason, I did exactly that. I thought buying another battery would be reasonable.
The new sealed Yuasa battery was $115.00 plus 13% tax, but it had the oomph to spin it up to a start. Next warm day I may test the limits of essential travel and burn up a tank of gas.

Last edited:
View attachment 164981
The One Time Throwing Money at it Actually Worked!

Brought it out of storage a bit ago, put a brand new bargain battery in it and it spun the motor a couple times and gave up. I cleaned all connections and replaced the cable to the starter and it maybe gave me three tries.
Having counselled the odd newby on the site not to throw money at a project but to think and reason, I did exactly that. I thought buying another battery would be reasonable.
The new sealed Yuasa battery was $115.00 plus 13% tax, but it had the oomph to spin it up to a start. Next warm day I may test the limits of essential travel and burn up a tank of gas.

Hummmm… Is it a Gel battery?

AGM
Acid added at the store on delivery, then permanently sealed.
I was asking because I was involved in a very un-scientific test. Two kayaks, battery power trolling motors. In apples to apples, my gel battery would run all day but the son-in-laws LA battery would only pull about 4 hours and he was paddling. These are the Lawn tractor size batteries. I went with a gel battery in my bike.
I dunno.

Hacksaw and vice grips, the old school hard way, but it does work. ( Don't lose that special tool!)

That looks really nice and dependable. I’ll have to take a pic of my homemade fork tool when I get home. When I rebuilt my forks two winters ago I followed 5Twins suggestion and bent a length of 1/4 rod. Cost me about 5.00 and took all of 2 minutes to make. I still have it. It’s def not as pretty as yours though ;)

Maybe this time I won't break into somebodies conversation. Ok.
My ( new to me) Yamaha Service Manual came in yesterday, Now I have a good working library. I also scored a new point cam shaft rod, # 256-11156-00
I am getting together a point style system for my 81, 4M4 engine. ( I find it hard to gap the black boxes)
Somewhere I saw that the point shafts were different lengths? I'm looking for that reference post.
I know the shaft will work in my 77 but I'm not sure about the 81, 4M4. I wish I would have had the Service Manual last year when I started the build.
manuals point shaft.jpg

BTW, I see the early 256 engines and the later 447 engines but little reference is made to the 4M4's.
They are not mentioned very often. What's up with that?
motor.jpg

I have a set of BS 38 carbs to go on it. I hope to get it running on the stand. ( but not in front of my book shelf!)
Comments and information welcomed! I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

You know, it does get hot here, but not like Mailman baking bread on his top of his tank!:whistle:
I'm running 20W/50. May be too heavy?

Back