what is causing this arcing/sparking?

650sam

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 79 650 special. It idles pretty well, but at high rpms it starts to run crappy. I noticed there is a spark jumping from the frame to the side cover. When I took the side cover off, the location of the arcing changed to from the toolbox holder to the frame. I have searched around a little for bare wires and haven't found anything. What should I be looking for? Thanks
sam

Bad ground wire would be my first guess, the battery box that carries the side cover top mounts and tool box is rubber mounted, somewhere a ground wire to that is probably missing or rotted. Find em all and check them or add a new one. See if that stops the arcing. Don't run it beyond testing till you get this figured out, several electrical components are on that insulated box too, something could get wrecked....

There should also be ground leads from the engine to the frame, condenser, and coil mounts up at the top engine mount. check those too.

You were correct. Thank you. I added a ground wire and the sparking went away and it started running better.
thanks
sam

Back