What is the average cost of a paint job?

I paid $500 cash in total for my tank, side covers, fenders, and lower fork legs. It was around $200 for materials, and $300 for labor. I did a large majority of the bondo and prep work before I sent it in to them. It's all matte black with a stripe of candy green down the center of the tank and fenders, and a shamrock on both side covers. I also went to high school with the shop owner, so I don't know how that effects the price.

Attachments

• DSCF1666.jpg
    DSCF1666.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF1664.jpg
    DSCF1664.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF1665.jpg
    DSCF1665.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 168
Barter... I traded a friend this paint job for my XS Carcass.

Ooh! Sparkles! Nice!
I don't like my paint to be that fancy because I'd hate to be seen weeping in public if it got scratched but it does look good.
BTW, how dead was the carcass?

Do it yourself with rattle cans. Takes courage, lot of sanding, lot of reading. Very rewarding afterwards though.:)

Attachments

• rustoleum gloss black base.jpg
    rustoleum gloss black base.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 153
  • rustoleum sandable primer.jpg
    rustoleum sandable primer.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 123
  • bare metal.jpg
    bare metal.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 125
  • rustoleum shimmer clearcoat.jpg
    rustoleum shimmer clearcoat.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 142
  • decals.jpg
    decals.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 158
  • gas tank paint job.jpg
    gas tank paint job.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 154
Single color? Not looking for show quality bling. Go with powdercoating. Less expensive and durable.
jefft

Single color? Not looking for show quality bling. Go with powdercoating. Less expensive and durable.
jefft

Especially flat and satin solid colors... I'm seeing some really good looking powder coat jobs lately. The better coaters are getting some nice, smooth, orange peel free finishes.

If you wanted to go the PC route, there was a guy on here based out of Chicago that did PC work and offered to cut a deal on XS stuff. I think I saw some of his work and was very impressed. I wish I would've gone that route, but my tank and sidecovers had bondo work done to them, so I didn't think it would work(don't know much about PC really).

If you wanted to go the PC route, there was a guy on here based out of Chicago that did PC work and offered to cut a deal on XS stuff. I think I saw some of his work and was very impressed. I wish I would've gone that route, but my tank and sidecovers had bondo work done to them, so I didn't think it would work(don't know much about PC really).

Yeah, JRK here and on Do the Ton forum is prob who you are talking about and he does amazing powder coatings... But you have to have pretty straight metal work to begin with. They can do some straightening and a bit of filler work but bondo won't cut it.

I am about ready to do paint or PC. The last bike I had (VROD) I had all the tins PC'd matte black for $350.

With the XS, I have a paint quote of $300 from a friend for a very heavy metallic (similar to the dark colors HD uses). There is a guy local that does amazing paint work that quoted me $1k-$1200 for a very detailed old school graphic paintjob. The last option is again PC. I am likely going to meet with a PC later this week to see what they can do for me. I am actually considering going clear over bare metal - I like the look of clean, bare steel.

Yea, those kind of prices took me out of the paint option. I will let others opt for the $1200 paint jobs. I'm happy with my pc.
jefft

All I can say is this: Replace / repair your brakes, including new master cylinder and hoses and get new tires before you spend that kinda money on a paint job.

Back