What is with the "Buckhorn Bars"

Finding the right bars can be a little tricky. They definitely need to be styled to fit the rest of the bike, but serve such a high function during riding that they also need to feel comfortable. I would be interested to see what people could come up with using a little heat and a lot of force persuasion on a set of buckhorns to bend them into a more comfortable design.

everybody hates the buckhorns. Somewhere there is a place where all the discarded buckhorns are just piled up into a large twisted mess. On my '79 I also did not like them (stock "rototillers"). So I put Daytona bars on.

However, on my chopper, I LOVE the buckhorns! In fact eventually I want to get some that are even curlier. Taller and swoop back more - more like an old Sportster buckhorn. The Sportster people all seem to hate buckhorns too!

To me it depends on the kind of riding and the stance of the bike. If it is a low-tailed relaxed position bike, then bucks rock. If it is a level, or high-assed bike and you want to do more technical riding then something like the Daytonas are better.

Actually, to me, a buckhorn is a little different from the XS650 Special "rototillers". It's a different bend. Buckhorns are curlier.

I was on an Ironhead today-- loved the buckhorns. I also loved the buckhorns on my Superglides. But the buckhorns on my XS just weren't right for me. They're simply too narrow... for me and my stock framed bike.

But I can see where they would work on a chopper as the lower seat height stretches your arms a little more.

I have considered widening a set of XS buckhorns as I have 3 or 4 sets in the shed. But that's another project I might never finish.

I HATED the buckhorns on my SG and one of the first things to be changed was the bars. Didn't like them the '84 H-D Low Rider either. To me it was an un-natural hand position and too much swinging to steer. Drag bars or something way more flat and slightly sweptbacked. Looks better to me too.

I cut them up and make things out of them. They're good for that, lol. Here's the T handle I made for my tire changing bar .....

THandle.jpg

I also just got a XS with the buck horns, Im looking at these emgos or these bitwells. I really like the price on the emgos. However I dont know If the bitwells will even fit, in which case emgos it is.

I've got a set of what the bike shop had listed as "Dirttrack Bars" . Love them, a little wider than your typical dirt bike bars. Great leverage, very light steering, nice aggresive stance.

If you don't know anything about carb tuning then you'd be better off sticking with the factory airbox. The Biltwell bars won't fit our bikes because they're 1" diameter. Our bikes use 7/8" diameter bars. I think you'd be happier with these Euro bars. About the same height and width as the Superbike bend but much more comfortable because they droop down slightly on the ends .....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/121/36822/ITEM/Emgo-Euro-Handlebars.aspx

Ahh yeah, they look about the same as the Superbike bars.. Unfortunately I literally bought them right before you replied. At this point Im about to mount up a broom stick instead of the bullhorns.

I like the bikemaster superbike bend and Daytona (flat tracker) bend. I have and love the superbike bar on my SV 650. I liked the Daytona even better, but did not want to go to the trouble of extending wires and controls. My 79 Special II will get a black Daytona when I get into it.

I just put superbike bars on mine. Still a little too low so I put a 1.4 inch riser on. Now they fee just right. I need an upright stance to straighten my neck and take the pressure off my lower back. It worked for me with my torso length. I think the superbike bars give a little more control than buck horns, also I think that the XS handles better with the weight of the bike centered with a very upright rider. my set of bars that had me more forward not only wrecked my neck, they put too much weight forward on the bike. The buckhorns put too much weight back of the bike and made my lower back and butt more uncomfortable. however I think every individual body-type will need to customize to fit. It may take some experimentation. Most of all, if you want your XS to be a rider, you will want to go with comfort over looks. Hell they all look good anyway, I expect you all to agree. :)

This string has been a fun read. My son and I are building a Cafe based off of an '83 650 Special. Obviously the "Buckhorns" got to go. My son is 5'4", I was originally going with drag bars but think that superbike bars may work better. Now, what do I do about the master cylinder? I believe the angle will be different and the reservoir will not be level. What are my master cylinder options?

I had the super bike bars on my 75. Made my back hurt. I think the stock standard bars are much better.
A bit higher and a bit more pull back.
Leo

I have a set of the special style bars. I plan on cutting them off half way up the verticle section. Getting some tubing to fit, weld the tubing in the lower section of the bars. Put the upper section on the tubing, turn them till they feel right. Weld in place. Clean up the welds nice and smooth, powder coat 85% gloss black.
Make then into more of a mini ape bars instead of the buckhorn bars.
Leo

This string has been a fun read. My son and I are building a Cafe based off of an '83 650 Special. Obviously the "Buckhorns" got to go. My son is 5'4", I was originally going with drag bars but think that superbike bars may work better. Now, what do I do about the master cylinder? I believe the angle will be different and the reservoir will not be level. What are my master cylinder options?

On my 78' Special I went with the Brembo M/C from 650 Central. Totally happy with the result.

Attachments

• Brembo Master Cyl 002.JPG
    Brembo Master Cyl 002.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Brembo Master Cyl 003.JPG
    Brembo Master Cyl 003.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 124
  • Brembo Master Cyl 004.JPG
    Brembo Master Cyl 004.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 132
Back