What is your method for cleaning electrical connections?

I should probably mention what I use to clean the wire insulation and the connector blocks. I use a product called the Tannery. It's a spray leather, vinyl, and rubber cleaner, been around for many, many years. You can get it at Ace Hardware .....

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31784526

Buy a couple cans because it has many uses. Wonderful for your seat. Cleans and preserves but doesn't leave it slippery like ArmorAll. Also great for tire sidewalls and any of the other rubber bits on the bike.

I am in the yes to De-Ox-It, and no to dielectric grease camp. Dielectric grease can not improve a connection. I know, some disagree, but I won't be swayed. Keep that stuff away from my bike.
Excuse me while I run out for some brush picks!

Hi Marty,
you are correct, dielectric grease cannot improve an electrical connection's conductivity.
What it does is maintain the connection's conductivity by keeping the air out of it so that atmospheric
moisture can't grow little non-conductive corrosion crystals between the contacts.
My bike's connections are slathered in it.
And yeah, buying a pack of interdental brushes at Wallymart is more convenient than begging them off a dental hygenicist.
Note that interdental brushes come in several different sizes. Ultra-fine would be best for poking down inside electrical connectors.

Man you guys are full of good ideas! Check this out, from Walmart online $2.56 . Less than a penny a piece!
View attachment 92920

Yup - I have used these little guys from Walmart - and they really are quite good for small stuff or for things where you don't want to transfer the mung they pick up to anything else.
I also have an empty Pringles potato chip tube full of old tooth brushes sitting on the bench at Disaster Central - and it always proves to be useful.

Pete

http://www.dentek.com/easy-brush-standard

I bought these, I had three different choices at my local dollar store. These have a flexible wire and could be chucked in a cordless drill. I think they will be a better system than I had before for the female connectors. There may be a better choice, I'll keep looking.

Scott

....all that and they're minty fresh too!

That simply has to make things better for the fashion conscious riders among us...;):D

Even though your wiring is in pretty good shape due to the not so harsh climate the bike lived in, it is good that you're going through it. These bikes need that. A big and common problem with these, which climate has no effect on, is rubbed bare wires due to vibration. I found several when I went through mine, problems just waiting to happen. Most were around the battery box and in the headlight shell. I did all the repairs and fixing before I even put the bike in service, as part of the overall renovation. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've had no major electrical problems in 12 seasons so far. Basically, I've just burned out a couple light bulbs which I consider just a normal occurrence.

Yeah, while my connectors don't have a lot of corrosion, I've noticed more electrical tape wrapped around spots of the wiring harness than I like. By the way while I'm thinking about it , I kind of mangled the neutral switch wire when I took it off. I mistakenly thought it just plugged in and messed it up when I pulled it off. Then I compounded the problem when I said to myself " Hmm that looks oily " and I sprayed it and the rubber cover with electrical contact cleaner which immediately fossilized the rubber cover. Doh!!!
Can you buy a replacement wire for that with the rubber cover? Or am I going to have to get creative?
Edit: I found the rubber boot on Mikes, the terminal end I can just modify an eye terminal if need be.

Last edited:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outers-17-Cal-Rifle-Brush/20703045

Just bought this bore brush from Walmart. It's an Outers, .17 Caliber Phosphor Bronze Bore Brush, 83103. I tried the fit in a female bullet connector. It may be the best brush that I have found yet for cleaning the female connectors. I think it can be chucked in a cordless and maybe it can be cut or ground shorter as it wears down, looks like a good prospect to try out.

Scott

Even though your wiring is in pretty good shape due to the not so harsh climate the bike lived in, it is good that you're going through it. These bikes need that. A big and common problem with these, which climate has no effect on, is rubbed bare wires due to vibration. I found several when I went through mine, problems just waiting to happen. Most were around the battery box and in the headlight shell. I did all the repairs and fixing before I even put the bike in service, as part of the overall renovation. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've had no major electrical problems in 12 seasons so far. Basically, I've just burned out a couple light bulbs which I consider just a normal occurrence.
How do you repair the exposed wire that is rubbed bare due to vibration
Electrical tape or is there a brush on product to cover up the wire (they use to have a tool dip that you could dip the end of your tools in to give it a rubber coating) It would be nice to use heat shrink tube but I can't see how you could get one large enough to go over a connector and yet shrink it down to the wire size

Yes, use whatever you can. That Liquid Electrical Tape works good. If the connector is a bullet type, you may be able to get small enough shrink tubing over it. If I use electrical tape, I cover it with friction tape. Electrical tape always seems to unwrap after it heats up. The friction tape will stop that from happening.

Liquid brush on electrical tape, home centers have it too. Bought a bottle of red and have found it to be very useful where you just can't get tape in. Two coats works better than trying to get thick in one shot.
Shop hint; Quick pass with a heat gun makes electric tape much more permanent, no more loose tails unraveling. those cheap banggood heat shrink guns are perfect for this, I keep one plugged in by the bike lift.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outers-17-Cal-Rifle-Brush/20703045

Just bought this bore brush from Walmart. It's an Outers, .17 Caliber Phosphor Bronze Bore Brush, 83103. I tried the fit in a female bullet connector. It may be the best brush that I have found yet for cleaning the female connectors. I think it can be chucked in a cordless and maybe it can be cut or ground shorter as it wears down, looks like a good prospect to try out.

Scott
DAYUMM......I shoot 17hmr and already have some of those. Now one is going to the bike tools stuff!!

I have yet to really get serious about this, but it is coming. I have tried a few different methods.
I have pulled the connectors apart and sprayed electrical contact cleaner then working fine sandpaper in there to try to shine things up ( very slow and not sure how effective)
After reading online about science being your friend, I tried what a lot of people swear by, using a solution of vinegar and salt and soaking a connector for 5 minutes, then rinsing off with water and then spraying it with contact cleaner. That did ok but again extremely tedious.
I have thought about just replacing the wiring harness, but everything the new harness plugs into is still crusty.
So... I'm sure you old pro's have some Jedi secrets for effortless contact cleaning.
How do you do it?
View attachment 92914
Just about anything will work. Often just disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors will clean the contacts. I also find that it is not just the dirt and corrosion that is causing problems. More frequently it is the connector pins just get loose over time either through heat or fatigue or both. I use basic contact cleaner from the hardware store or occasionally wd-40 followed up with contact cleaner, use a small brush if possible and then blow them dry with canned air or an air compressor. I also make a point of compressing the contacts slightly to ensure a tighter fit. The last point will probably clear up most of the problems,

Yes, they make liquid electrical tape. You can get it in a spray or brush on.Look in the auto electrical section. On the bottom shelf.
Parts stores, Harbor Freight.
Leo
I now have the liquid tape (the aerosol can has more oz,s but it's cheaper go figure) works great
And I got the little tooth brush thingy's so every contact gets cleaned (one less issue to deal with later)

If I had it to do over again, i'd get a new harness. mike's has one that I can't vouch for, but i'd guess it's okay. the problem with the old, or mine at least, is the plastic housings have changed shape and become brittle such that you can't remove the connectors easily without damaging the plastic and you end up wth kind of a mess. PLUS the crimps themselves are old, heavily tarnished, and not reliable half the time. there's no way to clean the crimp... new harness makes sense. but save the old part as always!

Back