What kind of charging system do i have?

Ketis

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all. I just purchased a 77xs that was somebody else's project and i wanted to see if i have a stock style charging system or a pma

Thanks,
Keith

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358621264785.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358621264785.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 71
Heres a pic

Also, i do not have a manual.

Attachments

• 2013-01-16_21-57-10_277.jpg
    2013-01-16_21-57-10_277.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 85
Heres a pic

Also, i do not have a manual.

Looks like a nice bike , why isn't it running ? What did the previous owner say is wrong with it, if anything ? Do you have a battery ? If you do, is it charged ? Check the oil ,check to see if you have gas going to the carbs, check the spark plugs ( make sure they are clean before you try to start ), But DO NOT do a spark test if you have a PAMCO as you will damage it by doing so ( down load the Pamco instructions and read them ). Put it in and out of gear a few times while rocking it a bit to make sure the clutch is engaging and disengaging , .....

There is a better more comprehensive list on here that was written by people who have forgotten more than I will ever know about these things ..... anyone remember the name of that post with the checklist ?

Anyway, if there isn't anything real bad going on , a charged battery and fresh gas and it should fire right up. Then you can start tuning it.

The electrical harness was removed by the PO to make a cafe bike. He said he drove it for a year before he tore it down. The battery only charges to 9v. The fuel lines aren't there so I'm gona try to hook it up and fill the bowls with gas.

A repair manual should be the first thing you should get. You will find this to be the most used and important tool you will ever own. The Clymers or Haynes books are good, the Factory Manuals are better. I have shopped Ebay and have all the Factory books and suppliments to cover the 70-80 years and have the 80 up suppliments downloaded to my computer. Over at The Garage they have links to all the factory books for download.
Biker.net has them too. I like having a real book in my hands, but you can read the books on your computer and print out pages as you need to take to the bike.
If you look up at the top of the page you will find an XS650 TECH button, click it, scroll down the list to the Maintainance and General Troublshooting, read the Buying guide, getting to know your bike.
This is a good place to start.
The rest of the TECH section will lead you to more specific subjects.
Leo

Got it fired up tonight! Super Stoked!

Im trying to figure out what carbs i have. I could not find any visible part numbers on them

Here are a few pictures i took

20130123212235322.jpg

20130123212253230.jpg

Those look to be the original '77 carbs. I see the P.O. added the power brake check valves to the engine breather hoses. Nice mod even if he did do a half-assed job on it. The breather hoses can occasionally emit oil mist or drips so the last place you want them sitting is on top of your carbs. Looks like the right one has already belched a little oil. Install longer hoses to extend them back over your pods .....

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

I would go through Curly's charging guide and find out just what your stock system is or isn't doing. As weekender mentions it might be just worn out brushes. About twenty bucks through a local independent dealer. Often with a few tests you can find the problem and not spend much. Save the money for something else you need. If the stock rotor and or stator crap out then do the PMA swap.
Yes, you can find the UNi-filters at several places. You can get them from the same local dealer you get the brushes from.
It might take a few days for them to come in but saves shipping charges.
Leo

I never said my charging system was bad.

I didnt even test it. (just hooked up the coil and pamco to a battery to test fire)

I plan to do PMA so i can run batteryless

Back