What luggage rack for 1980 XS650 Special (NOT Special II)?

maxdog

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,
Brand new to these bikes and just purchased a 1980 XS650 Special (not the Special II) and I am trying to learn starting from scratch. One thing I would like to get is a luggage rack for my bike. I have scoured the net for pictures of the rack on a bike like mine and have found a few pics but they do not mention brand, part number, and are a bit obscure on how they mount. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should be looking for? Used, or a new version, brand, part number, etc.? I would like to have something that appears to be consistent with the vintage of the bike if possible. Many more questions to come, but any help on this would be most appreciated.

You May find one on eBay.
Think about just making what you want.
My bike is much more useful with a way to carry stuff for sure.

Thanks. The challenge is first to determine what kind of rack will fit on my particular model. Found some discussion that the fitting of racks differ between Special and Special II bikes. It looks like some kind of KG rack, or maybe AMCO will fit but I don't know how to identify it. If I had a part number, I could do a "wanted" ad, or monitor ebay for one. Just need to know what model/brand will fit.

Welcome to the site maxdog.
A great source for parts is right here.
Post a WTB ad in the classifieds.
There is a difference between the standards and the specials,
but not between the special models.
It will mount just like your grab bar.
There is one that should fit even though it is says special2 on e-bay for a decent sale price. Shipping costs may be a different matter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS65...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19cbea3f5a

You will be hard pressed to find a make and part number. Nobody has made these for years.

maxdog,

Here is a pic of the rack on my '81/H. I call it the "Old Mans" backrest because it is so comfy and supportive along with my "poor mans" highway pegs. The back rest slides back to accommodate my bride when we go riding. She feels secure with that behind her, especially the way that I drive!

mybike5.jpg

I don't have a part number, or even a brand. These racks were a dealer installed option back in the day.

maxdog,

Here is a pic of the rack on my '81/H. I call it the "Old Mans" backrest because it is so comfy and supportive along with my "poor mans" highway pegs. The back rest slides back to accommodate my bride when we go riding. She feels secure with that behind her, especially the way that I drive!

mybike5.jpg

I don't have a part number, or even a brand. These racks were a dealer installed option back in the day.

Nice rider.

Pete do you have a picture of the rack off the bike? Or would you point out the mounting points. I don't see the luggage rack "legs" that would attach at the top shock mount.

Pete do you have a picture of the rack off the bike? Or would you point out the mounting points. I don't see the luggage rack "legs" that would attach at the top shock mount.

The rack attaches to the plate that the tail light is mounted on in a Special II.

led.jpg

@pamcopete
Ahh, OK less clutter than mine.
I wonder, have you happened to look see at XS1100's and the 750 Specials?
Is the spacing the same for the mounting points?
I've seen that style on e-bay for the larger XS Specials.
Also are you aware of a difference in the frame on Specials vs Special II's.

@maxdog,
After seeing Pete's lower backrest(several years ago) it took me the better part of a year to source one with the sliding back rest. And then I had to kinda jury rig it.
Like Petes mine attaches to the tab on the frame loop, but mine has adjustable legs that fit to the top of the shock mounts. (1st + 2nd pic)
I think the racks with solid mounted backrests will be easier to find.
Like the one on this F. (3rd pic)
But your passenger will have to be nimble in the hips to mount it.
They either have to fold their leg to get over the seat or swing their leg over.
Plus you will have to carry a backpack or sleeping bag before the driver gets any support riding solo.

Attachments

• 07-05-11_1153.jpg
    07-05-11_1153.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 571
  • 07-05-11_1208.jpg
    07-05-11_1208.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 05-19-08_1837.jpg
    05-19-08_1837.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 326
You can click on my profile to see mine. It's somewhat "universal" but is sleeker than a lot, I think. The brand is stamped on it faintly but I can't make it out. It is on an '81 Special, same as yours for practical purposes. It came from ebay.

A big thing to consider is that a rack will obscure the tail light on our model, especially with stuff on the rack hanging over and such. I eliminated that problem by putting on a rear fender and tail light from a '79 - bolts right on. I left the original tail light mounting plastic there and put a scrap of black plastic on the inside over the hole left in it from removing the tail light. One day I hung a tool bag back there like you can see.

Thanks all for the replies. Seems to be quite a variation. If anyone has one that will fit mine, please email me and lets talk. Thanks!!

^That is the same thing Weekendrider linked you to, but with the sissy bar included, and Weekender's didn't have the rust and the broken weld.

You ought to consider buying one of them if you need one. Seeing two or three at once on there right now might be giving you the wrong impression of how common they are. I looked hard, like about for a year, before I found one that would fit.

^I think it needs to be for an '80 or later before it will fit. There's a small difference in the frame, plus it has to clear the grab bar. '79 and earlier are easier to find and they will trick you into thinking they would fit :mad:

Back