What makes the Isle of Man such a dangerous / often deadly race?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This years Isle of Man race has tied 1970’s race as being the deadliest on record, with 6 fatalities. Even though the race was held over the summer, the 6th fatality just occurred when a rider who had been hospitalized since the event passed away.

https://news.sky.com/story/isle-of-...er-five-deaths-lead-to-calls-for-ban-12632067

Everyone who races at this historic event, knows and accepts the risks. But what exactly makes this one of the worlds most dangerous race course?
This years race was especially hard in the sidecar racers, including this father and son team who were killed,
B7414733-5510-4076-B676-AA5610E229CE.jpeg

It's a 37+ mile long course on public roads with all the issues there are with public roads and environs.
While there are practice sessions and some level of experience with the course for the more experienced riders I don't believe anyone can really "know" or become "One" with the course as you can a typical 2-3 mile long closed circuit race track.
There has been a 2 year hiatus with no events due to the "virus" which has probably added to this.
I remember seeing film clips from the event as a child in the 60's and have always been a fan. I was able in 2011 to attend the Centenary event, had done a long term bike rental and was able to ride the course and it's exhilarating and beautiful but can't imagine the skill and dedication to craft it takes to ride it to the ability that the riders do but there's hazards at every corner.

Anyone that have driven a motorcycle on Isle of Man ( not racing) knows the answer. The road are not that good. I know most of you probably haven’t had the option but coming from mainland Europe I’ve had the opportunity to drive in most places over there. Now it would be cost prohibitive :)

I’ve been to the IOM many times and loved every minute. It’s a true celebration of bikes and racing. The atmosphere is like no other race circuit, and everyone there adds to the event. The riders know the risks, and are the bravest of their kind. Sadly the races do claim lives, and you can feel it in the crowd when it happens.

On Mad Sunday the circuit is one way for the public to experience; sadly one year some European riders left the Creg and tore off against the flow........Disastrous results ensued.

Any loss of life is regrettable and has far reaching effects on loved ones.
As an enthusiastic public rider (not racer) we must be carful out there.

But what exactly makes this one of the worlds most dangerous race course?
Unlike a track circuit where the 'hard' parts are set well back from the track and can be protected by air fences this is not possible on public roads.
In the event of the rider making a mistake there is little or no run-off in many places so what stops you may well be a hard object.

It’s a true celebration of bikes and racing. The atmosphere is like no other race circuit, and everyone there adds to the event. The riders know the risks, and are the bravest of their kind.

I think some of the footage on the video I posted show how skilful the riders need to be. Every sport and every area of human endeavour carries risks.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/isle-of-man-tt.62012/

If 6 racing car drivers in F1, Indy-car, NASCAR, Supercars or any other car racing, were killed over a 1 year period encompassing several rounds of racing...............if 6 motorcycle riders in Motor GP, historical motorbike racing, hillclimbs or any other sanctioned championship motorcycle racing over a 1 year period encompassing several rounds of racing...........were killed in 1 season of racing there would be calls for safety measures to help negate the deaths. If the measure was unsuccessful the racing would be closed down untill the reason for the high death rate was addressed and measures were put in place to fix the problem.

This is standard practice and has been an ongoing practice especially since the late 70's and 80's.

It about recognizing the dangers of the motorport and doing everything possible to stop deaths but also recognizing that with motor racing, cars and especially motorbikes, deaths are going to happen through rider/driver error or any high speed crash due to other circumstances

It is repeatedly said that the rider knows the risk and it i up to them. .....................That's true but.................. Bikes are now averaging over 300 kph for a lap, the road has been widened and some runoff added in some places trying to help in safety aspects, but in no way has the road/road side been upgraded to any degree, (safety wise), that is = to the increase in speeds the bikes are doing today..........hell 250cc bikes are going faster than the big bikes of the 60's & 70's.

It's all very well to say, "it's an iconic race and the rider knows the risk" but that doesn't speak to the facts, the Isle of man is proportionally, and literally, killing more racing bike riders over a 3/4 day period than the combined Motor GP racing in all of their different classes in an 8/9 month period.

And for those who say the risk i on the riders. (and it is as long a the race s allowed to continue so a few people can go "gee look at that", "wow he's got balls"), What about the ones who are left behind who have to live with the death of a Father/brother/husband/cousin/son/daughter (and in this year, a case where a husband/father/son/brother died together in one crash), every day when a spectator, (mostly a once in a lifetime trip), is reminiscing his/her great time they had at the Isle of man.

Do the powers that be over there make any attempt to clean the road surface prior to the race.. oil from cars... " droppings " from cart animals... farm machinery.. ? the roads build at the turn of the century.. never intended for the insane speeds. Like any other motorsport... rock climber... we'r all adults and accept the realities .... I'd be happy to check out by a Buick bumper or three in the back from her husband as I jump out her bedroom window. Either way I'm a legend at morning coffee for years to come. :cool:

Like every topic on the TT, if you don’t plan to ever see it, and have no intention of racing it, then your opinion on safety and family members feelings mean nothing and should probably mind your own business. To compare the race, racers and fans to any other sport or racer is a fools errand and cannot be compared. Seriously, zero comparison. So, to stay on topic, the problem is speed. The walls, curbs and road conditions don’t help, but when the TT started it wasn’t so much an issue, pump up the speed on the same course and here we have the problems

Like every topic on the TT, if you don’t plan to ever see it, and have no intention of racing it, then your opinion on safety and family members feelings mean nothing and should probably mind your own business. To compare the race, racers and fans to any other sport or racer is a fools errand and cannot be compared. Seriously, zero comparison. So, to stay on topic, the problem is speed. The walls, curbs and road conditions don’t help, but when the TT started it wasn’t so much an issue, pump up the speed on the same course and here we have the problems

And that would be your opinion.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/isle-of-man-tt.62012/

It is repeatedly said that the rider knows the risk and it i up to them. .....................That's true but.................. Bikes are now averaging over 300 kph for a lap, the road has been widened and some runoff added in some places trying to help in safety aspects, but in no way has the road/road side been upgraded to any degree, (safety wise), that is = to the increase in speeds the bikes are doing today..........hell 250cc bikes are going faster than the big bikes of the 60's & 70's.

The crux of my statement and on topic exactly as i said but you failed to read that part

Last edited:
Do the powers that be over there make any attempt to clean the road surface prior to the race.. oil from cars... " droppings " from cart animals... farm machinery.. ? the roads build at the turn of the century.. never intended for the insane speeds. Like any other motorsport... rock climber... we'r all adults and accept the realities .... I'd be happy to check out by a Buick bumper or three in the back from her husband as I jump out her bedroom window. Either way I'm a legend at morning coffee for years to come. :cool:
We are all entitled to voice opinion here which is a very good thing; and each man to their own.
A few issue raised here however:

1. Yes the circuit is thoroughly cleaned before and during the event by the organisers using industrial grade equipment.
A full and comprehensive roads repair programme is undertaken every year prior and during the event; and safety improvements made whenever possible.

2. In the 'olden days' the racers pinned their throttles on under-braked heavy machines riding on cinder surfaces with sod all protection.
Today the roads use modern asphalt technology; and the riders have the best protection available. The machines are far more advanced than the XS650's we ride; and the riders have the skills to exploit them (Unlike most of us here).
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 15.52.31.png
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 15.53.35.png

I have done many track days over the years at insane (for me) speeds; and yes its reassuring having all the 'safety margins for error' on a closed circuit.
I still did insane speeds at the IOM where there are no speed limits outside of towns; but within my own limits I would add.

Still got caught by the Plod for speeding though 112mph in a 30 limit:
IMG_1868.jpeg

some side car action:
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 15.46.11.png

And a scenic mountain view:
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 15.47.10.png

More than 300 people have died climbing Everest. Perhaps we should ban this too? Then we can move inexorably to a world where we all live forever.
Good point @DaveO It less of a climb now, more of a human conveyer system. Mind you I wouldn't do it!
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 16.01.09.png

Hats off to them.....Er maybe not your ears might get frost bite!

Back