What wheel suit a widens weld on tail?

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
For the tech experts out there.

I have ordered the Gary Poh wide tyre kit today, and am going to order a weld on Wide-Hard Tail from Elswick.
HTML:
http://www.elswickcycles.com/hardtail_xs650_wide.html

Now I know that they take a 5.5" tyre or 180/200.

1. What size is that 16" or 18" (Elswick mentions 18 but others have 16) and does the hub on a 6" match a 5.5" if so can I put a 6" in?
  2. There seems to be more used 6"x18" around.
  3. All places seem to refer to using Harley rims, is there other options???
:banghead:Sorry this maybe be a lame post but trying to learn the basics.

For Mr Luck's version you need all these extras::yikes:

• *16" REAR WHEEL,40 SPOKE, CHROMED. WITH 3/4" SEALED BEARING 199.99
  • *DRILLED REAR BRAKE DISC, ZINC PLATED 42.99
  • *REAR ROTOR MOUNTING HARDWARE 13.99
  • *REAR AXLE KIT FOR 3/4" BEARINGS & AXLE ADJUSTERS 107.98
  • *CUSTOM 34 TOOTH REAR SPROCKET FOR HD WHEELS & YAMAHA ENGINE, BY KOSMAN 65.99
  • *16" TIRE, HDS "Super Eagle" BLACKWALL 129.99
  • *16" INNER TUBE 23.99
  • *16" RIM STRIP 1.49

1. Do I need any of this for the Elswick version??
  2. Will the stock brakes need to be replaced?
  3. What else do I need to find out?

Has anyone done a Elswick wide-tail????:confused:

Located a few cheap 21" wheels on bay for the front, lets hope I get lucky.

Cheers, Getto
A lot of their stuff seems too cheap, anyone know about the quality?

It is really hard to find a round fender to go over a 200 tyre. It is a 9" fender.

Challenges, challenges. Funny Elswick don't offer them.

I looked into doing this also and it just seemed like to much money to me for the conversion but here is what I came up with.

Gary's kit cause it eliminates the use of a jack shaft.
18x5.5 HD wheel you can get for 170.00-180.00 shipped all day long
Sportster/softtail rear caliper. Must be the 3/4" kind
You can use your stock rear axle or Mr.luckys
HD rear master cylinder
And the Mr. Luckys sprocket.

Aussiehard, I think you need to check your math. A 5.5 inch tire is a 140. A 180 is a 7 inch tire. A wheel should be within 2 inchs of the tire width. A 5.5 tire should have a 3.5 wide rim. A 7 inch tire should have a 5 inch wheel. These are minimums a wider wheel is better. As in the same width. So your 6 inch Harley whell can run a 180 tire, a 200 tire will work on the wheel. The big thing is chain clearance.
How much does the GaryPoh kit offset the sprockets? I think you need about a 3/4 inch offset to clear a 180 mm tire.

Aussiehard, I think you need to check your math. A 5.5 inch tire is a 140. A 180 is a 7 inch tire.

These are minimums a wider wheel is better. As in the same width. So your 6 inch Harley whell can run a 180 tire, a 200 tire will work on the wheel.

It recommends a 5.5 Rim I assume which allows a 180-200 wide tyre.
  • So I miss wrote in my original post :doh:. Actually it was just a test for XSLeo :laugh:
  • Then I can run 5.5"Rim for 180 or 6" Rim for 200.
  • I think following your post, a 180 on a 6" is better as it is smaller.

• Does anyone know if a both the above rims have the same hub width?
  • Is a 1" or ¾" axle slot more common with Harleys? Is there an alternative metric rim from anther stock bike?

You can run a 5.5" rim and a 200mm tire. In fact my brother just bought that setup for his sportster and is what Gary recommends with his kit. I'm pretty sure the hubs are going to be the same. It's the actual rim of the wheel that is different sizes. 3/4" were for the early harleys and 1" are on the newer. I'm not sure when they switched but you will need a 3/4".

I looked into doing this also and it just seemed like to much money to me for the conversion but here is what I came up with.

You can use your stock rear axle or Mr.luckys

Do you mean stock axle size? or the actual stock axle?
If the frame is increased in width so much for the wide tire how can the axle remain the same width?

Must mean stock ¾ diameter axle..............
I assume that is what Mr Lucky sells this for?

*REAR AXLE KIT FOR 3/4" BEARINGS & AXLE ADJUSTERS 107.98

I wish they supplied exploded Diagrams for this stuff, rather than just parts lists. I have only ever ridden a stock ZZR before, so huge learning curve here for me! Lucky these forums are a great resource!

Thanks guys for your input! Cheers.

Sorry that is what I meant. You can use your stock axle if you run a 16x3 rear wheel. From what I have learned the stock axle is slightly larger in diameter than the HD axle. Mr.luckys or the stock axle maybe large enough for the wide tire. I really have know idea on that one.

I have ordered many parts off them for my old Nighthawk chopper and everything was good quality. Headlight, mirrors, etc.

On this same topic what is the finished inside dimension from axle plate to axle plate for a 200mm tire after rotor/chain, spacers, and caliper? What is recommended.

I am building a similar setup to @Aussie, but building the hardtail versus buying one.

Thanks for the help.

On a side note, frustrated, got my 18"x200mm tire and 18"x5.5" HD wheel, except they sent me a 16"x3.5" wheel by mistake, seriously? :banghead: That is why I am not able to mock it up for my own measurements. Any help would be appreciated!

Sory mate I'm still waiting on my hardtail to arrive, I been waiting since Feb for Elswick Cycles to get it done, the told me on the 5th It was ready to be shipped as soon as I paid the shipping which I did, haven't heard from them since, so can't start putting it all together to see what spacers etc it needs to be able to tell you much.

I got a 34T rear sprocket with the 5 bolt stud pattern which came from Mr Lucky, Gordonscott got it for me and sent it over with his pipes. I have the Gary Poh offset sprocket kit, to get the chain around the 200mm tire, An aftermarket 40 spoke 18"x5.5 rim. Still need to sort out the disc brakes, rear axle and other bits. Will post info when I get it done but at this rate you will be done before me....:shrug:

@Aussie. About the same set up here. I went with the HD rear with a 33T sprocket from www.RebelGears.com, Mr. Luckys wasn't working at checkout for me. Talking with Gary Poh about getting his kit. I currently have a jackshaft that I will be selling because I like the look of one chain.

About Elswick, I called Rob (I think that was his name) and asked about build time, he assured me 4-5 weeks. I said how some people on forums said it was taking a bit longer and he said some of the customs were taking longer but still 4-5 weeks. If I were you @Aussie, I would keep calling, they are good about calling back. Talk to them in person.

If anyone else has width measurements for axle plates on a frame, either Elswick or G&L or custom lemme know. Thanks.

I just made this one up for a customer and talked to TRAVIS about making the loops for me but this guy was in a hurry and i bent it my self now its been sitting here.
I made this to handle up to a 240 but the 200 kit will work fine on this style and that is what the guy is going to use. If you can weld and have someone make the loops its pretty simple setup.This was customers design i would have done it in two top pieces.What i wanted was last picture just the hoops made

Attachments

• 200 frame.JPG
    200 frame.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 200 frame2.JPG
    200 frame2.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 1296013454-724.JPG_m.jpg
    1296013454-724.JPG_m.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 77
@DaddyG. I have almost that exact same set up on another frame (see picture below). I am not a fan of the rear loop and am looking to do a stepped down version similar to Elswick but trying to keep it as close to stock length, maybe a 1" stretch, it is tough keeping it short I am learning.

Mine is much wider for a 240 as well so it's not a lot of help.

Attachments

• IMG_6016.JPG
    IMG_6016.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 106
Back