What would cause a stiff clutch hand-lever?

freddy3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What, other than the cable (which is new and lubricated), would cause the clutch lever to be very hard to squeeze?

Last weekend, while driving in the country, the clutch cable broke right where the little, cylindrical metal piece connects into the clutch hand-lever. For awhile before the cable broke, the hand-lever was becoming increasingly stiff and hard to squeeze, so that's obviously why the cable broke. Although the cable was only about a year old, I hadn't lubricated it (per the manual, I've always used engine oil) since the end of last summer, so I figured it'd just gotten gummed-up and that caused the inner wire to hang, which caused the cable to break.

So, today, I lubricated and installed a brand new clutch cable from MikesXS, but, although the hand-lever and cable each moved effortlessly by themselves, once I got the cable installed, the clutch hand-lever's stiff again. So it's not the cable that's causing the stiff clutch operation.

Per recommendations in another thread, I got a new clutch, but I wanted to be sure the cable problem's taken care of before I do the clutch.

The push lever assembly was functioning properly (rotating easily) when I fit the end of the new cable into it. It also rotated without any problem when I manually pulled on the other end of the cable with the side cover off the bike.

So I'm kind of stumped as to what's causing the clutch hand-lever stiffness??

Did you adjust the worm gear correctly before adjusting the cable at the lever?
From what I have read. When you buy a cable from mikes you need to buy two as they do not last
They say 650 central is the place to get anything dealing with the clutch system.
This is just what I have read here about the above vendors and have no personal experiance with either company

My best guess would be something to do with the push screw and housing. I say pull it apart do a thorough inspection for cracks or signs of binding. If you find no evidence of damage lube it well and try it again. Also you may want to check you bushing for the push rod.

Did you adjust the worm gear correctly before adjusting the cable at the lever?
Is that the adjustment nut behind the metal cover just above the gear shifter pedal shaft? If so, I checked that at the end of last summer when I installed the last clutch cable (also from MikeXS), but it didn't require any adjustment, so I didn't think to check it today. I'll check it when I go back the next time (I live in an apartment and keep the bike at a public storage).
From what I have read. When you buy a cable from mikes you need to buy two as they do not last
They say 650 central is the place to get anything dealing with the clutch system.
This is just what I have read here about the above vendors and have no personal experiance with either company
Yes, I just found that out after I ordered the last two cables from MikeXS. The next set I'll get from 650Central.

My best guess would be something to do with the push screw and housing.
Where is that located?

Some have a different size cable end & if it doesn't fit the cable end housing of the lever (&many of them come with a wishy-washy shim piece which, often break or fall off during sometime in the operation) that un-fitting is cutting the cable. When the cable starts getting cut it frays & that produces a hard to pull lever. May not be all of your problems but is a likely one of 'em. If I'm using cables w/ that cheesey little shim I rip it away quick & get some metal/brass that fits around the cable end & cut it w/ a sawz-all to fit on it. Good nylon spacer pieces are nice too. Might need to gouge out the lever's cable end housing a little with a drill bit.

Wherever you buy them motion pro cables are good stuff.. Yes check the ramp assembly carefully, the nylon can crack and then they bind up. There should be about 1/4" of thread past the nut. A lot more or less is suspicious. it's also easy to have the arm off one notch in the ramp assembly though I don't think that would happen unless you had it apart.

Inside the left hand cover where the clutch cable hooks to. The push screw will twist out of the housing and the housing is held on by 2 screws.
I think we're talking about the same thing. The upper end of the clutch cable goes into the hand-lever on the handlebar, the other end fits into the joint (part 24), which rotates the push lever ass'y (part 19):
46clutch2.jpg

All of that works just fine with the side cover off the engine - I can easily squeeze the clutch hand-lever, which easily rotates the push lever ass'y (part 24 in the diagram). But once I reinstall the side cover, the hand-lever becomes very stiff.

Wherever you buy them motion pro cables are good stuff..
Yes, I've heard that Motion Pro cables are good. If I hadn't just bought the two from MikesXS, I'd see if I can locate a set. But I've been using MikesXS cables for years without any problems. This is the first time since I've owned the bike (I've had the bike since '75) that I've had a cable break or felt it get this stiff. So, while MikesXS cables may not be the best, they're not the cause of the problem.

Yes check the ramp assembly carefully, the nylon can crack and then they bind up. There should be about 1/4" of thread past the nut. A lot more or less is suspicious. it's also easy to have the arm off one notch in the ramp assembly though I don't think that would happen unless you had it apart.
Sorry, you lost me. Ramp assembly???

All of that works just fine with the side cover off the engine - I can easily squeeze the clutch hand-lever, which easily rotates the push lever ass'y (part 24 in the diagram). But once I reinstall the side cover, the hand-lever becomes very stiff.

It may work fine with the cover off but the pressure from the clutch springs can cause the nylon screw housing to flex/crack and this is when you would see the binding. Either way it should be lubed well or you could see a harder pull at the lever.

It may work fine with the cover off but the pressure from the clutch springs can cause the nylon screw housing to flex/crack and this is when you would see the binding. Either way it should be lubed well or you could see a harder pull at the lever.

Sorry, I'm not sure what part you're referring to??
The push lever ass'y (part 19) is well lubricated and I think that's the only part that moves back there. Or are you referring to something else (can you note the part number in the diagram?)?

#19 and 22 is what he means i think, check its not cracked

Posted via Mobile

Okay, I'll check that. It's definitely lubed, but I'll see if its cracked and make sure it's screwed-in all the way.
Thanks guys.

Just going back a few steps, after fitting a new cable, you should adjust the clutch. Back it off at the perch, then adjust at the side cover till you make contact, then back off 1/8th of a turn. Then adjust slack at the perch.

Posted via Mobile

I'll check the adjustment under the cover, but I don't know what a "perch" is?

Perch is what Wisconsin folks eat on Friday night. Oh it also holds the clutch lever to the handlebar.

the bit thats bolted to the handlebar, the clutch lever "perchs" on it. When adjusting at the sidecover, soft hands are the key. gently gently till zou feel contact, then a slight back off (from say the 12 o'clock position to 10 o'clock)

Posted via Mobile

I never heard it called a "perch", but that adjustment's been set according to the service manual (I know that's not the cause of the stiff cable because I've been setting that adjustment the same way (without any problem) for nearly 40 years).

But I'll check parts 19 & 22 in the next day or two and report back.
Thanks.

UPDATE: I just re-checked the condition/function of parts 19 and 22 and I just don't see anything wrong with anything related to the clutch under that side cover.

Here're a few photos just in case someone's able to spot something that I missed (note: the clutch-related parts below were covered with grease, which I removed so you could see the parts better - I re-greased them when I reinstalled the side cover):
stiffclutchcable001.jpg

stiffclutchcable008.jpg

stiffclutchcable009.jpg

Just to be sure, I also checked and readjusted the worm gear: loosened the nut, turned the set screw all the way in (gently) and backed it out 1/4 turn (which is where it was originally). I also removed the clutch shaft, cleaned it, checked it for straightness (OK) or wear (none), lubed it with clean motor oil and reinserted it. The shaft slides in easily and smoothly.

Still, with the side cover removed, the clutch lever works just fine. But as soon as I put the side cover back and start tightening its bolts, the clutch lever gets firm again. So there's obviously something in or around the clutch that's binding?

Any further ideas?

Back