What's the Best Sounding Exhaust?

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I will be needing to replace my exhaust on my stock 1975 650. I am just wondering what sounds best.
My preference is NOT straight pipes, I want to be heard but not wake the whole block
in the morning, I had a set of shorty mufflers 30 years ago in a 73 that sounded awesome!
A nice low growl, but not Straight pipe loud!:bike:
Anybody have any videos of yours running that I can hear?
I am on a fairly tight budget but my Bike has been sitting for WAAAY too long.
It was a one owner Bike bought new by a DR. I have had it for just about 30 years.
I have won MANY arguments with the missus to keep it stored in the Garage 365..
She hates Bikes and "IT" as she calls my 650. She wanted me to Tarp it and keep it outside behind the Garage..:yikes:
I told her if it came down to it, I'd rather scrap the Queen bed for a single, and give my
650 HER side of the bedroom! I think I got my point across... Hasn't been an issue for 10 yrs now!!!:D

Anybody have a sound file from their Bikes I can hear?
I definitely want it louder than stock tho..
How can tell if a Girls Boyfriend rides a 70's SX 650?
From the Oil speckles on her Back! But you never need to oil your chain....
Larry

Last edited:
Here's mine. its a bit of a frankenstein. Stock headpipes, welded to 1.75" straightpipes. inside are some 8" baffles from ebay. There needs to be some carb tuning, so ignore the pops and off- idle.

while idling, you can hear it from inside the house, but no louder than my other motorcycle or a lawnmower. you could always add packing around the baffles to tone it down a step or two.

also, photobucket kinda sucks for videos. sorry bout that.

That's about what I want, could be a BIT louder but you have the clean POP I am looking for.
Thanks for sharing..
There should be a whole Thread dedicated to Exausts with different packages to hear and compare!
I love my 650! I swore I'd never sell it after having several go through my fingers..
The one that hurt the worst was my 73 that was sooo clean, 3" over forks,
custom seat, even the compression release and starter worked! lol.. Sold it one Winter,
BROKE and needed to pay bills, I have regretted it every since!
I'm also looking for a pair of over length forks for mine.. SOOOO if you have some..
I'll be your friend forever

Last edited:
I liked the sound of some of those..
I think I will try and find some Shorty Pipes for mine.. I am in a quandary with mine.
Do I repaint leave it. It is kinf of like this, it is good enough looking where I hate to,
But there are a couple Tank dimples, One was there and one was from a Tornado!
Knocked down a Maple on top of my house.. The Bike stood longer than the Tree!
I really love the sound of those twins, Just something about them.
Mine only has 11k on it, I have had a bike up to 36k then it started smoking a bit.
Not too bad then one day the whole electrical smoked.. That was 30 yrs ago when they weren't worth fixing because they were a dime a dozen.
It was nothing to find good running/looking 650's for $400-500.00 bucks.
My Bro-In-Law had a 74 TX-750, He had it a week and it blew up!
They took it back, rebuilt it, put a deeper oil pan on it, (they said with a better Balance chain), I loved that bike. he virtually gave it to me. I sold it with 42K on it still running fine. I just kept up the CB adjustment and used good oil, Replaced the chain at 24K.
I wonder how many are still out there?

A set of Mike's "Brit Style" peashooters on my '79

I find both the look and the sound to be perfect for me.

I REALLY love those! Very classy looking and I think very very close to the sound I was looking for.
I hate mufflers that kill the nice clean POP and Cackle of the 650!
I am so glad I found this site. You guys have been a great help to me so far..
should we re-post this as "SOUND off, Let's hear your 650.."?
What do you think? This way members looking to do the same as me can browse..
We just need to make sure to have people LIST their equipment!
Where did you get those Downeaster? How much were they for the pair?
Another question, Did you re-jet your carbs to avoid piston burnout?
The shorter tubes reduce pressure leaning the mixture leading to hotter pre ignition and
a hole burned (usually in the RH jug). OR SO I have heard.
I honestly had it happen to me on a 72 after I put shorties on it in the early 80's and rode it heavy for a couple years, about 10k in 2 years. I didn't know what caused it back then..
Back then, we just junked them, drove down the street and bought another one, they were on about every block. Who oh why did they ever discontinue such a sweet ride.
I love every aspect of riding them.. Even the tingly fingers after about 50 miles lol...

I like the idea of a 'sound off' thread, but hate the sound recording you get from these smartphones. Reminds me of spaghetti western gunfire compared to the real thing...

i agree with two many there, but i dont have any sort of microphone setup. but even with not stellar audio, it would at least point you in the right direction. that would be nice by itself. just thinking if you were doing a fresh build, with no idea of what sound it will make, or maybe even what sound it CAN make, that would be helpful.

OK Guys lets move this over to a new thread that is easier to understand what it is there for.
I hope it will be a great healp, tho the sound may not be the best there is a definite difference in the sound of the bikes, ALSO it will be a nice venue to help diagnose running issue with bikes!
such as "My Bike is making this noise but I cant explain it"....
After I start it, can you folks re-post your videos there?
This could be a good tool! I really like the link in one of the replies where someone took the time to show HOW to post a video!
Larry

This is my 77 Cafe Racer. Up hill left towards Lake on the Mountain in Ontario Canada. Sorry about the video quality but it is the sound that I was after.

[/URL][/IMG][/URL]

Attachments

• IMG_00057_zps2eef4ffc.jpg
    IMG_00057_zps2eef4ffc.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 4
This is my 77 Cafe Racer. Up hill left towards Lake on the Mountain in Ontario Canada. Sorry about the video quality but it is the sound that I was after.

[/URL][/IMG][/URL]
I have the 2 into 1 with the 17 1/2 " inverted cone too. Sounds great, not obnoxious at low RPMs but loud enough to give it attitude . And, if it is set up right, it does improve your performance .

Attachments

• IMG_00057_zps2eef4ffc.jpg
    IMG_00057_zps2eef4ffc.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 5
hi guys earlier when i had only purchased my bike ,,i found a guy in ringwood that raced xs650 yams,,, and i purchased a 2into 1 transarc system ,,,so i went home and tore my twin system off and fitted this transarc 2into 1 system,,,, i,ve got to be honest ,,the bloody thing sounded like a mix master ,,, it lasted about 2 hours i pulled it off and putt my twin st/st system back on ,, i then sold it on ebay ... and posted it off to the buyer,,, regards oldbiker

Back