Whats the best way to clean,polish engine covers?

nlovern

possom man
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wanting this winter to take my spare engine covers and clean,polish them up and was wondering whats the best way? i can get very fine scotch brite pads from work and i have a air diegrinder with scotch brite pads to fit it.
Hope someone has some ideas.
Thanks
Nathan,Va

aircraft ali stripper
wash off
220 grit wod
260 grit wod
320 grit wod
you get the picture;)

finish up with 2200 grit wod if ya want it to really shine
jewelers rouge
solvol;)
works a fucking treat! well it does for me;)
heres an example
a54259aa.jpg

Its am old engine it should look old . Would you sand an antique chair or table ? Taking away its patina of age sullies the grace of the finish .

PERSONALLY i think it depends on the individual build. if your going all out on the bike and everything else looks new, then polish em, if your getting it running and leaving as is then wipe off any oil stains and leave it;)

I have done quite a few now. First step degrease. I keep a windex bottle full of mineral spirits. then paint stripper to remove clear coat, lot's of water rinse. Hit scratches and gouges with what ever paper it take to remove them. Overall 240 grit on a pad sander and a finer wire wheel for the hard to reach places. Black caswell bar on a sisal wheel. Finish with white compound on a loose wheel. hit it with mineral spirits and a rag to remove the "compound build up". This will give a great street shine. You might want to go further if it is going on the bike show circuit. A caswells adapter for wheels on an angle grinder is good for just a few parts on a one time bike job and for doing wheels. The 3/4 horse buffer from HF or the local big box works well for those doing a few bikes. I am watching for a deal on a 1 1/2 to 3 horse single phase buffer because I do a fair amount of buffing and horse power cuts work/time. I have always liked Blue Magic for buffing/cleaning duties before I got the buffers, bars, and wheels from Caswells and still use it for hand work, deep paint cleaning, and touch ups. I will do the RH cover on the engine with the foot peg, brake lever, and kick starter removed. The LH cover and valve covers always need to come off anyways.

Last edited:
just ordered a tub;) ill give it a go, you dont try, you dont know! cheers for the recomendation splexin!

Blue magic; My local farm fleet store stocks it. I have a tub everywhere I have a motorcycle or parts. But it's only so so as a dessert topping. The ammonia smell kinda spoils it.

I used to use Blue Magic a lot back in the 70's on motor side case's etc. Also Simichrome. Is that still around. The only thing I'ved used in the last 20 years or so is Mothers and occasionally the cotton wadding in a can for little stuff. Thats been mostly on snowmobiles. Lots of brand names on the wadding.

I used to use Blue Magic a lot back in the 70's on motor side case's etc. Also Simichrome. Is that still around. The only thing I'ved used in the last 20 years or so is Mothers and occasionally the cotton wadding in a can for little stuff. Thats been mostly on snowmobiles. Lots of brand names on the wadding.

Simichrome is still around....just bought some!:thumbsup:

Back