Whats the first thing you did for your build?

Ccanady

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So Im about to embark on my journey of building a bobber. Just curious on what the first thing you guys started on once you started your build.

Once I get her ripped apart in a million pieces I'm gonna start with the frame first. Then rebuilding the engine.

The first thing should be getting it running well before tearing it to pieces. Then build it into full mock up form ideally into running driving condition. then pull it back down to make everything pretty

Motors already running..so im skipping that part..lol Just tearing it down to replace gaskets, screws, springs etc. May do a rephase and big bore too.

Then your close already. Start taking your measurements and mind set visions on how you want it to look, start cutting.. Keep it all in raw metal so you can change things along the way. In mind or on paper things can change after having the items you want or make are bolted up. AND budget plays into this..

well im keeping it pretty simple (or at least the idea being simple). Gonna use a tcbros hard tail and throw in some other accents and a good color scheme.

Mine went something like this: Got it running in mostly stock form (was a basket case so it still had a bit of work in wiring and tins) to evaluate the different systems, brakes, engine and forks, which you seem to have done. My motor had low compression so tore it down and did a rebuild on the top end then retest for about 500 miles. Tore the bike down and did majority of the fab on it (Ardtail, rear brake pivot, electrical box etc. etc.) in order to get it back together as a runner in bare metal/primer and rode it for about another 500 miles. Made a few changes as needed. Run it for another little bit. Tear it down for powder coating of the frame. Re-assemble and run the piss out of it. Sent a crank to Hugh for rephase, got a cam from MrRiggs and 750 kit from mikes. Pull motor and build it from the ground up. Motor got stolen from under my car port the day before it was to go back in the bike. Find another motor and build it like the first one. Got it in the bike and running. Ran it hard with no issues for about 1500 miles. Doing rerfinements and upgrades to the electrical system and hand controls, hopefully this will be the last of it for a while other than general maintenance until I get the funds to do another 750 rephase next winter. I am just a glutten for punishment.

Back