Wheel Help!!!

Well If it matters I run a small conical MX type front brake like seen on the first of 3 bikes above on my RT1's .....still on them.........they look nice but forget quick stops ....I always considered mine better than nothing and that's about it.........xsjohn

- what about a 21in wheel from an xt500...15mm axle...front drum brake...21 x 1.60?

BkckjgmkKGrHqUH-CcEslVeIWSBLjYIPUyw.jpg

I have found many xs360 and xs400 hubs with front drum. is this a direct swap or is the axle smaller for the 360 and 400 hub?

- i think the 400 takes the same 6302 bearing...i suggested the xt500 wheel as its already 21in, although narrower

Cool Beans Travis. You guys have put many sleepless nights to rest!!! My wife will be glad to hear me stop mumbling questions to myself now! Been walking around like rainman for about a week!

With no front brake on your bike you increase greatly the chance your wife will never hear you mumble ever again. The thing is it is not just you that you are putting in danger it is the other people on the road.

You are right. i can get my hands on a tx500 and an xs400 front wheel to keep the hub and lace a new wheel to if everything is all good with the axle. Anyone know if they are the same size? I am begining to feel really bad about asking all of the questions and not being able to do much help with others problems. Hope i run across someone i can HELP!!!!

- XS650...6303...17mm axle
- TX500...6303...17mm axle
- XS400...6302...15mm axle
- XT500...6202...15mm axle

- here is a bearing reference site

Ok.....I finally found an 18 inch rear spoke. How do i go about changing to 21 inch front spoke wheel with a SMALL drum brake? Buy another wheel and get some machine work done. Is it me or is the front drum on an xs650 wheel huge!!!

How do i go about changing to 21 inch front spoke wheel with a SMALL drum brake? Buy another wheel and get some machine work done.

- several ways...find a hub, get a rim and spoke the two together...find a 21in drum brake wheel you like and change the wheel bearings to fit the hub and the XS axle-may have to make spacers and fabricate a means of preventing the brake plate from rotating-the original XS1 had a boss on the fork bottom that located into the hub, the later forks dont have this, however the drum brake SR500 has the same fork and a bracket that utilises the caliper mounts
...bracket
file.jpg

XS1
xs1drumamw5.jpg

- here are some other ways of fixing the plate
GT750J suzuki
front1iw8.jpg

TD TR TZ
yamdrum1nx8.jpg

Is it me or is the front drum on an xs650 wheel huge!!!
- XS1 front brake is 200mm in diameter, not so big...same size as the SR500...in a 21in rim it would look smaller

So if i go with the xs400 front hub i would just have to have the hub punched to 17mm or can i just swap bearings? Can get a good deal on an xs400 front hub..:confused:

- the hub internals should have space enough for the axle-but check anyway, XS400 front wheel bearings are 6302 2RS left and right...15 x 42 x 13...go to a bearing shop and look for 17 x 42 x 13 bearings...2RS mean rubber shields both sides

I hav found many Dirt bike front 21 inch spokes with full drum setup. Gonna keep reading a little too find out what needs to be done to make it fit. Just not sure about it cause they all seem to be 21 x 160 and not 21 x 1.85. Is the 160 a little narrow?

Will a 120/70 21" metzler tire fit my 64 spoke 21" front rim. I'm looking for a tire that gives me better traction in the freeway. I heard wider is better. So I'm looking into finding the widest tire I can put on my front rim. Thx guys

Back