Where to locally buy riveter

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am installing the master link in my cam chain and I need to peen the pins.

I am having trouble with a cold chisel and a hammer and I would like to do it with a riveter. Can these be bought locally at an auto parts store? I haven't had any luck finding one.

Best,
Adam

Yeah, I thought so.

If I were to go the route with using a cold chisel and ball peen hammer how do I properly press the cover plate onto the chain? When I put it on by hadn I sense that it is not on far enough.

Is it a plain chain or O-ring type? If it is a plain chain, put it over the rear sprocket and join it there. Push the side plate on with a C-clamp or a pair of pliers (it's pretty hard to scuff up the plates) and make sure you can still get around .002 to .003" feeler gauge between the side plate and the roller. It will tighten some when you peen it. I prefer to use a roll pin punch rather than the chisel method, because it flares the pin evenly all the way around, but not everybody has one. Once you start peening, keep both pins in work evenly. It is worlds easier to control if it's on the rear sprocket, and it's essential to have a helper holding a 2 1/2 to 3 pound weight on the back of the pin to stabilize it and support the work. If you have a Cycle Gear store anywhere near, they have a pretty nice kit for not too much cash, but you just might end up having to order one from afar. Here's the ones they have. Bear in mind I have more than one bike, so cost is relative. This is the one I would get if I were shopping today.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/Chain_Breaker_Press_&_Riveting_Tool/web1004593

pair of vise grips and a nut that fits over the pin will press the link plate on, another set of hands holding a large hammer as a backstop against the back of the link will allow you to spread the pin ends with your chisel

Also you can't get the side plate to tight. The pins have a shoulder thast the side plate sets against so you can't get it to tight and get a stiff link.
Leo

Back