Where to route cables

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Kind of a simple question but was wondering the correct route for clutch cable and dual throttle cables. On my test start-ups i was noticing a problem on throttle cables binding and causing increased high idle when turning bars.

On a hardtail with all different handlebars gauges etc. it 's up to you to find 'best" routing and cable guides and ensure everything works correctly and isn't over bent from full lock to full lock. I have spent some quality hours working out best cable routing when I was itching to be on the road even just using drag or euro bend bars on a stock bike. Acceleration when you turn the bars can get exciting!

On the throttle cable even if routed right, you can get the high revs on turning the bars because your cables are too adjusted too tight. You need a little slack so you can turn the bars. Loosen the adjusters to have about 1/8 inch or a bit more free play.
Leo

Guys.. I just did a cafe bar swap on my bike...and that's scary stuff. How do I prevent that? And when would it happen...on full lock to full lock?

Once you have routed to your satisfaction, turn the bars to the stops if the cable does not bind or pull out of the carbs, you should be fine.

Your repair manual talks about how to adjust the throttle cables.
Basics are, with engine idling, turn bars full left and right, if engine revs loosen the adjusters under the throttle, retest, repeat till you can turn bars lock to lock without engine reving.
Leo

Back