Where to start on my xs650 suggestions please

Motoman360

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys been lookin for a 650 for a while and finally picked up a all original 1980 xs650 for 200 bucks no paper work and been sitting in a sideyard for awhile, everything is there and motor is seized. I really want to get this thing going possibly make a nice bobber out of it but first thing is first I need to get the motor running, shows 30k on speedo any good resources for getting started would be appreciated an has anyone dealt with a bike with no paper work ? It does have a plate but what will it take to get it regd in my name
Thanks for any help you guys can offer

Where is Temecula?

There's probably others in your area who've gone through the paper processs who could offer some help.

I'm in the IE. I would have the numbers ran by DMV and then do the CHP inspection before you tear it apart. If no back fees, and you have no other troubles, I would put it on non op until you are ready to register it.

They will most likely have to verify the numbers for the DMV, so thus the CHP inspection. You will have to make an appointment with the CHP unfortunately. Keep all the blinkers and everything on it. They just need to verify the numbers to make sure it is not stolen. That is the problem with buying bikes without a title, even with a title, if it was not currently registered, many times you have to have it inspected by CHP before you can register it.
I purchased my XS, it was not up to date on registration, but there were no back fees (checked at the DMV when non opping and paying the sales tax). But I still had to have the CHP inspect the bike for DMV.

Well shoot Alrite then I guess last registered in 96 so hope there ain't to much in back fees and here I thought I could just work on it haha

Soak it all in fluids. I spray ATF on all nuts and bolts plugs and all. Then pull plugs and soak cylinders for a while. Use a spray bottle. Then start with cables wheels chain See what is locked and what isn't. I took a cb750 laying in afield for 8 years and got it running again. Patience will make it happen.

That's awesome I hope I can get mine running to be honest I'm not sure what to expect I've built a few bikes in my day but mostly two strokes and nothing that was seized up and as bad as this

Papers first !
or else your time, effort and cash will be wasted if this doesn't work out.
If it doesn't work out flipp parts and get your monye back and some....

I'll present another view. Work the motor first.
If it isn't salvageable the paper on the frame doesn't matter.
A running motor can be put in another frame if you can't title that one.

I'm in the same boat. I bought a 1978 XS 650 without a title. I removed the plugs and sprayed Break Free into the motor. I also sprayed Break Free over the rest of the bike, everything was seized. After soaking for 5 days, the pistons started moving, the kickstart lever works, even the on/off switch moves. I would rinse the gas tank, clean the carburetors, inspect the oil filters (there are two) put in fresh oil, and hook up a fresh battery. then I would try to start it.

Wow seriously I was expecting to have to a do a full tear down , with two trokes that are in the condition they always need new crank seals or top end

You will still have to do a teardown, but try and get things moving first to make it easier on yourself :thumbsup:

But title first.

Yes even if you free it up a "good and stuck" engine will have rusted the rings to the bore, that area will never be right. Pretty much figure a top overhaul is in your future. There are some pretty good youtube videos on the whole process and the translated German engine manual is a great reference. The early Yamaha XS650 repair manual has a good engine overhaul section as well.

Yes even if you free it up a "good and stuck" engine will have rusted the rings to the bore that area will never be right. Pretty much figure a top overhaul is in your future. There are some pretty good youtube videos on the whole proccess and the translated german engine manual is a great reference. The early Yamaha XS650 repair manual has a good engine overhaul section as well.

I know that some one here should know this.....I have a shot at a nice set of 81 cases.will my 77 stuff fit right in?my 77 cases have sat for 30 years out side in Redondo beach ca and look like crap.Thanks in advance pdaly29(older than u):laugh:

Back