Which brushes?

SCARE

Scareous XS650
Reaction score
I am looking for a new set of brushes, haven't looked what I have yet co it's my daily driver, and I'm a learn as I go guy, so don't want to mess around with it til I've got new ones to put in.

I see on ebay a couple different types.. One with extra big tabs with 2 holes..
They all say they work on my year, but I wanted to check..

I have a 1979 XS650 SPECIAL SF..

Help would be appreciated.. show me the links!

I'm thinking (according to mikesxs):

OEM Reference #
- 256-81611-10
- 256-81612-11-00

Is there anything else I should be buying to do the brush replacement? The holders?

A few basics here. The 70-79 all use the same brushes. One has just a one hole mount strap the other has three holes in two mounting straps. In 80 they changed the brushes so both were the one hole mounting. So you need the set with one brush with the three mounting holes.
The ones you list OEM numbers for. MIke's #24-2650 are the right ones.
To just replace the brushes all you need are the brushes. No need to change the holder unless it's broken. Also pay attention to the screws. Some may be longer than others. Put a long screw in where a short screw goes and it can hit the rotor, cutting a groove in it. Not a good thing.
Leo

You might want to clean the slip rings while you're in there as well. A little chrome polish on a rag makes short work of it and does a wonderful job. Here's one of mine cleaned, the other not, and the polish I used to do it. Use some sort of contact or electrical cleaner afterward to remove any polish residue .....

SlipRingCleaning.jpg

Back