Which supplier. Boats, stadium or Mikes??

Mlwahler

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which parts supplier supplies the best quality... Stadium Yamaha , boats.net, or is it safe getting parts from Mikes....or does it depend on the part...

I don't know about stadium but boats.net sells Factory Yamaha parts. Mike's sells some parts made by the people that made the parts for Yamaha, other parts made by whoever does it cheapest. His rubber parts seem to have the worst track record.
So the depends on the part is your best answer.
Leo

Just doing a quick check of a part For my V Star I was looking for, showed that Partszilla, Boats.net were $40 more than Stadium Yamaha. Yamaha sports plaza was close at $3 more. Thanks for the tip on Stadium.

Is it safe buying from Mikesxs....................absolutely not safe.:yikes:

Many parts I've bought from Mikesxs over the last 8 years, have been so bad as to be unusable. They are made in Taiwan to a low price point, and there is no quality control in the factories.

They look like OEM parts but are made from inferior materials and from lighter gauge metal/steel/brass.

I bought carb manifold boots once...................they were made to the wrong dimensions, allowing air leaks, and I had to reuse my 30+ year old OEM manifolds.
My original OEM boots are still inuse to-day, because of their high quality fit.

Sure, if you are on a tight budget, buy from Mikesxs, but don't be surprised if they don't fit, and/or fall apart in a short time.

Always try to buy Yamaha OEM parts if possible. Pay more but get a lot more.

I just got from mikes bs34 carb rebuild kits, sump filter and gasket, 2 new drain plugs, side filter , some o rings and seals... Anything to worry about??

I just bought a sump filter from Mikes. It was made in Japan for $35. It seems to be very good and solid. However I had some experience with coils I bought for my xs400. The old grey ones were good but the new black ones are not as good. So I had good and bad experience with Mikes.

I bought some parts for BS38 from MikesXS.

1) Carb bowl gaskets needed trim to fit.
2) Choke plunger gasket did not fit at all.
3) Choke plunger lasted about 300 miles and started to allow mixture to be too rich. Replaced it with old one that came with the bike and problem is solved.
4) Needle valves and seats, one leaked, other okay. Since I am forgetful to shut fuel off manually, now I have a solenoid valve that is linked with the ignition switch to shut fuel off.

Last edited:
The list of good parts from Mike's seems to be ever shrinking, lol. Best thing to do is check here on the forum about any part you're planning to purchase.

The parts you did get should be OK for the most part. Seals, gaskets, and o-rings are usually good. The carb rebuild kits can be hit or miss, but no worse really than a kit from anywhere else. They're all aftermarket so may have fit and finish issues.

It's good that you got spare oil filters. That way you can have a clean set ready to swap in at oil changes. If the original sump filter is torn, don't throw it out. We can repair it with JB Weld .....

SumpFilters.jpg

Even badly torn ones can have a metal patch fitted and JB Welded into place .....

FilterPatch.jpg

FilterPatch4.jpg

All carb parts are aftermarket??? Even through boats. Seats needles and gaskets are aftermarket?? Are gaskets from mikes worth it... Mainly the sump gasket... IF I should order elsewhere I will

No, all carb parts are not aftermarket, just what comes in most of the carb rebuild kits. You can still get original stuff from places like Boats.net, but the cost is usually quite a bit more. For some parts though, it's worth it. I mentioned Empire Cycles to you. The owner told me he won't use the float needle and seat assemblies from rebuild kits any more because he's gotten too many bad ones. He spends the extra and gets real O.E.M. ones now. Floats can be the same deal. The aftermarket replacements from Mike's can be pretty junky. Originals cost twice as much but seeing that they can last 20, 30 or more years, the cost is justified in my opinion.

I compared a recent order that I got from Partzilla (which is a division of Boats with identical prices in my experience), with what it would of cost from Stadium. Yes, the prices were a little less, but shipping was almost triple, plus they charge me tax because I'm in Texas, so Stadium is a no-go for me.

There are many parts that you can only get from Mikes. They sell a lot of crap, especially rubber parts, but they sell a lot of quality parts too. They have the cheapest prices on mini gauges, for example, and they are good gauges. I have never had a problem with Mikes service. They recently shipped a wrong part in an order to me and they quickly corrected it. I've also returned and been refunded for parts with no problems from Mikes.

Bought a rubber fuel cap gasket form Mike's. It only lasted a few weeks before it fell apart. I also ordered some parts and then called emailed back within a few hours and asked if i could add something I forget (a $2.49 filter). I was told no problem. They sent two separate packages and charged me the extra shipping. When I reminded them they had told me they would just add it to my exosting order... crickets.
I also ordered some sidecover fasteners and they are awful. One broke within a week. Those are not cheap either.
I avoid them and try to use Partzilla or 650 Central.

Stadium is only 10 miles from where I work. They are currently in talks to sell, so I'd reserve my order. Rock River Powersports can get anything all tye rest can, and the parts guy named Jeff is a good dude that knows his stuff.

I have got a lot of parts from mikesxs and have not had any problems i got the wrong parts one time it was made right the front cam chain guides treads are ify just run a tap in them first.

Based on my experience, I have to agree with gggGary, DogBunny and jetmechmarty, specifically in reference to Partzilla.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39528&highlight=Stadium

Partzilla (Albany, GA) is by far my primary source for OEM parts, but when placing a small order today, I opted to go with Stadium with the January thread (above) in mind since I noticed that a part by part cost comparison showed Stadium consistently lower.

As has been mentioned, shipping costs and specifically one shipping option (UPS or Local Pickup in Irvine, Texas) appear to be the downside (at least in my case) with Stadium. USP and no USPS Option reminds me how MikesXS (an occasional necessary evil) was not too long ago.

While the Stadium parts total was $7.29 lower for same parts as compared with Partzilla, UPS shipping with Stadium ($20.88) was $14.93 higher than Partzilla's USPS option of $5.95 or 2.5% higher. Even Partzilla's FedEx option was less than half the cost of Stadiums only viable option (UPS) for non-Texas residents.

A Redskins fan like myself shouldn't be ordering from an Irving, Texas based firm anyway... :laugh:

Both Partzilla and Boats.net belong to The Outdoor Network LLC.

1st Image: Partzilla Costs showing 2 Shipping Options/Pricing
2nd Image: Stadium Costs
3rd Image: Stadium Shipping Option

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Stadium_Invoice.jpg
    Stadium_Invoice.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 249
  • Stadium_Shipping.jpg
    Stadium_Shipping.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
RonAyers.com in NC is another. Prices are consistently lower than Partzilla, but I did not check shipping rates and you have to know your part number.

Back