Which Tires to get

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My last three restores I used Dunlop D404 on the front and rear. I was thinking about using the Dunlop K70 on my 72 restore. What does everyone think?

I really like them, when I got my XS2 , it was still wearing the factory tires. A ribbed front and the rear was a K70,
I put K70’s front and rear on it when I restored it. I like the classic tread pattern, I think it just looks right and they perform surprisingly well. I’ve never had any lack of confidence pushing them hard through corners. But they do squirm a bit on rain grooves on the highways.
41625D63-D7FF-410E-948B-5FEE517FB7E4.jpeg
D756BA8D-3BB2-48DC-BB97-8038C6319CD3.jpeg
75EB88FD-23F1-455A-B7E0-2CD0F94A9884.jpeg

What does everyone think?
K I'm in lol..ready ?
D404 rear tires are Awesome! Front D404? Junk, Not up to the rears potential. A Harley Davidson Dunlop front is much more firm feeling.
20201215_212628.jpg

About those K70's .. they sure do have the appropriate look for an early XS. Very popular choice.
Perhaps they are very good for gravel roads.
I wouldn't expect any kind of performance out of a K70 front on curvy paved roads either lol.
I've been spoiled with performance bikes and dual sport in the past so my own opinion may be skewed that way
:)

I really like them, when I got my XS2 , it was still wearing the factory tires. A ribbed front and the rear was a K70,
I put K70’s front and rear on it when I restored it. I like the classic tread pattern, I think it just looks right and they perform surprisingly well. I’ve never had any lack of confidence pushing them hard through corners. But they do squirm a bit on rain grooves on the highways.
View attachment 194202 View attachment 194201 View attachment 194200
They do look good. They are more expensive than the D404s.

I put K70’s front and rear on it when I restored it. I like the classic tread pattern, I think it just looks right and they perform surprisingly well.
Mailmans review is noted and highly regarded there as well.
We all wear different shoes too
:sneaky:

How about Conti Twins? Are any of you running them?

re: Shinko
As soon as I heard from more than one person about getting a tire that wasn’t round, I crossed them off my list. There are too many good tires out there.

I’ve got 712s on my pretty much stock 76 and a set on my little canyon flyer cb500. Super light bike but doesn’t get punched super hard.

D0205407-623B-4E39-ABAD-C4B2F1152D78.jpeg

Never had a problem with them, I also wouldn’t write home about em.

they are good for what they are but aren’t doing anything special.

Cruising in a straight line on a stock xs, no problem, do a great job.

they don’t look classic though.

never ran k70s but like the look on a classic stock machine.

I’ve got 712s on my pretty much stock 76 and a set on my little canyon flyer cb500. Super light bike but doesn’t get punched super hard.

View attachment 194223

Never had a problem with them, I also wouldn’t write home about em.

they are good for what they are but aren’t doing anything special.

Cruising in a straight line on a stock xs, no problem, do a great job.

they don’t look classic though.

never ran k70s but like the look on a classic stock machine.
Where do you get the exhaust? I like them.

Where do you get the exhaust? I like them.

kinda hard to see in that photo but they are the stock headers wrapped and sprayed with a ceramic exhaust wrap coating (seals and keeps the wraps nice and black) and emgo slip ons. - nothing fancy but they perform ok and sound decent.

bike was a budget build.

780B7E5F-8539-4B86-99EF-3D9BC18F0275.png

I havent used my 712s yet. I had a pair of 777s on a 2004 sportster. Vast difference from the Dunlops the factory puts on. That bike handled very well afterwards. Turn in was way faster than the Dunlops for sure.

Back