Who Rode Today?

....S&S Super on an old Sportster (shifter on the right, pre '75) and see if it will fire up and run. It belongs to a friend-- a barn find that belonged to a relative of his and hasn't been fired up in about 15 years. I just finished cleaning the rust out of the tank a few days ago.

now that sounds like fun. There's a member on here with a gorgeous '67 I think... I've been trying to find one in my price range for a while now.

and back on track... yes, I rode today. And yesterday, and the day before. :)

Last edited:
A snowy mess here today too. I spent all day yesterday replacing the refrigerator in the house. There went the money I WAS going to put into the XS. It's going to take me even longer to get running now, but what can you do?

I did pop the gas cap off the 650 Friday. Much to my pleasure it looks really good from what I can see. It smelled like Sta-Bil, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. The engine is free and has really strong compression. I did oil the cylinders down a couple of times over the storage period... I've just got all the usual issues to deal with yet. Oil sump, ignition, fuse holder, charging system, carbs and brakes, swing arm, and forks, just to mention a few. But, I'm really just trying to put this back on the road to put around locally, so it doesn't have to be a 10, it just has to run, and stop!

Stay tuned!

-R

74 degrees here today. I needed to be doing other things but when I walked out the door I couldn't resist putting in about 200 miles of spirited riding out through the country. I am loving these radial tires!

Had one not quite so close call with a small herd of goats-- maybe 20-- that wandered out into the road. I was going to snap their picture but they were all disappearing over the hill by the time I got my camera out of my saddle bag.

Oh what a glorious day!

But if winter this year is any indication of what summer is going to be it will be too hot to ride.

74 degrees here today. I needed to be doing other things but when I walked out the door I couldn't resist putting in about 200 miles of spirited riding out through the country. I am loving these radial tires!

Had one not quite so close call with a small herd of goats-- maybe 20-- that wandered out into the road. I was going to snap their picture but they were all disappearing over the hill by the time I got my camera out of my saddle bag.

Oh what a glorious day!

But if winter this year is any indication of what summer is going to be it will be too hot to ride.[
now thats what NC is all about,never to hot to ride just to cold

HAHAHA! That is an insane coincidence, I almost hit 10 goats in the road today too!!!
Our neighbor has tons of those little fuckers and a fence that looks to be put up by 3rd graders.

HAHAHA! That is an insane coincidence, I almost hit 10 goats in the road today too!!!
Our neighbor has tons of those little fuckers and a fence that looks to be put up by 3rd graders.

I've never had goats but from what I've seen even some very good fences won't keep them where they don't want to stay. Like my chickens, those little goats are craving fresh young greens this time of year and will go to great lengths to get them.

Glad you missed them too. :bike:

We went to Bike nite

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpg
    IMG_6757.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6754.jpg
    IMG_6754.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_6753.jpg
    IMG_6753.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6752.jpg
    IMG_6752.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 175
Me! Me! I rode today!:laugh:

Trailered my bike to the inspection place Tuesday and got a sticker on it.

Flirting with 50 degrees today, they tossed me out of work 2 hours early (OT is a no-no) AND my new leather jacket arrived from Amazon.

If THAT ain't a hint, I don't know what is. Put about ten miles on it just checking things out. Adjusted the clutch a bit after it warmed up, turned the idle down a tad likewise.

Part throttle acceleration was very good, strong and steady with no flat spots or stumbling. Didn't try a WOT run, too busy watching for sand, water, (and I think I spotted a bit of ice in one place) and fighting the wind.

Blowing a freaking gale and a LOT of sand on the road from the winter, so I wasn't pushing, but it looks like I might tweak the gearing a bit. RPM's-wise, I felt real comfortable at 45mph @ 3500rpm (limit on local secondary roads) but when I pushed it up to 55 (closer to 4500rpm) it seemed a bit buzzy, so I might go up (Edit: :doh: Make that DOWN) a tooth or two on the rear. Also, rear shocks have the spring preload in the next to highest setting, and it's STIFF, so I'll find or fab up a tool and take 'er down a couple of notches. Other than that, everything seems to be spot-on.

All in all, I'm mightily encouraged.

C'mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon Warm Weather!

Last edited:
Me! Me! I rode today!:laugh:

Trailered my bike to the inspection place Tuesday and got a sticker on it.

Flirting with 50 degrees today, they tossed me out of work 2 hours early (OT is a no-no) AND my new leather jacket arrived from Amazon.

If THAT ain't a hint, I don't know what is. Put about ten miles on it just checking things out. Adjusted the clutch a bit after it warmed up, turned the idle down a tad likewise.

Part throttle acceleration was very good, strong and steady with no flat spots or stumbling. Didn't try a WOT run, too busy watching for sand, water, (and I think I spotted a bit of ice in one place) and fighting the wind.

Blowing a freaking gale and a LOT of sand on the road from the winter, so I wasn't pushing, but it looks like I might tweak the gearing a bit. RPM's-wise, I felt real comfortable at 45mph @ 3500rpm (limit on local secondary roads) but when I pushed it up to 55 (closer to 4500rpm) it seemed a bit buzzy, so I might go up a tooth or two on the rear. Also, rear shocks have the spring preload in the next to highest setting, and it's STIFF, so I'll find or fab up a tool and take 'er down a couple of notches. Other than that, everything seems to be spot-on.

All in all, I'm mightily encouraged.

C'mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon Warm Weather!

Damn right Man! Good to hear. hell I want to hear her runnin. shoot a video :thumbsup::bike:
Its been warm and windy here. and Iv been ridin all week.

Downeaster, you might want to go down a tooth or two on the rear not up. If you have the stock 34 rear then go down to a 32 tooth rear. That's the one I like.
On the vibes getting the carbs well synced, balance the tires, I like Dyna beads, will go a long way to reducing vibes.
Leo

Downeaster, you might want to go down a tooth or two on the rear not up. If you have the stock 34 rear then go down to a 32 tooth rear. That's the one I like.
On the vibes getting the carbs well synced, balance the tires, I like Dyna beads, will go a long way to reducing vibes.
Leo

Yeah, I caught that on re-reading.

I do need to check the synch on the carbs. What I'm thinking is a nice long ride on the first warm day to get everything settled in and then re-check everything, starting with the cam chain adjustment and going through a full tune-up procedure.

Beautiful, sunny 77 degree weather. My smile was a mile wide. Unfortunately, my ride was just as long due to carb issues. Had to walk her home. :doh:

Had mine out today, it sat most of the winter it fired right up ran like a top. Lubed the chain checked tire pressure while it warmed up. Off I went had a great ride I love this old bike, all the improvements I have made over the years makes it that mutch more fun. :D

had mine out to work out some bugs , 60 mph across the Hampton bridge tunnel , 70 degrees , with a smile on the face , love the smell of the bay! fishing time is soon

Well no ride yet, but soon... talking about it being plus 8 this weekend and up to 15 or 16 by mid week.... as soon as roads dry up should be good to go, but then ofcourse it will snow again... would really like to be riding.... only $10 for gas vs $100 diesel for the truck....

Back