Who Rode Today?

Low 60's here today. Rode my monster '81 CB750 DOHC widow maker. Ran some errands on the bike. Took the long way around coming home...:D

Beautiful day today in Amarillo. In the low 70's. Took a ride to Palo Duro Canyon. Skipped out on work early to do it. Sure was nice to put the 65 miles on the 'ol tracker today!

45 degrees about 12 miles on the SR500 need to torque the TX650A head as I took it down over winter to fix oil tube restricter threads, re-ring,

I went in my shop today and dragged out an XS I haven't even started in over a year (It got kinda buried) thinking I would have to charge the battery to crank it. Since I was sure the carbs would be dry I turned the petcock to "Pri" and kicked her through a few times ignition off. Then I turned the switch on and hit the starter button just to see if it would turn over. It started!

Over a year parked without being charged even once and it starts. Can't say enough about those gel cell batteries.

No insurance on that bike so I only rode a couple of miles.

Then I put it on the jack and pulled the front wheel to see if I can fix that square tire.

That is really the best running bike I've got. I guess it's time I cleaned it up and called my insurance company.

You southerners with ooh a little too warm at 82 make me puke! (OK, you actually make me very jealous)
I put on 40 miles yesterday and spent 4hours today cleaning off sand and salt. Bike is new to me and needed a bath which also helps see if there are any gremlins hiding. It got a new front tire today, which it needed desperately. Now that it's clean it will be near April before the roads are de-sand/salted enough to venture out again. I guess I really do need a rat bike.
Here she is partway through the bath and once over.
bandit%20001%20%28638x478%29.jpg

I really need to finish the garage project and get the lift back in.

gggGary, In about 4or 5 months it will be 100-112 everyday for 4 months then I'll be the one being jealous. Last summer we had 80 days of 100+ days and no rain plus fires it was pure hell . Thats a nice Suzuki I'll be trading my '07 Yamaha FZ6 even for a '06 Suzuki sv1000s tomorrow.

It's upper 60's today and used the bike to do some errands. I soooo need a long ride.

You southerners with ooh a little too warm at 82 make me puke! (OK, you actually make me very jealous)
I put on 40 miles yesterday and spent 4hours today cleaning off sand and salt. Bike is new to me and needed a bath which also helps see if there are any gremlins hiding. It got a new front tire today, which it needed desperately. Now that it's clean it will be near April before the roads are de-sand/salted enough to venture out again. I guess I really do need a rat bike.
Here she is partway through the bath and once over.
bandit%20001%20%28638x478%29.jpg

I really need to finish the garage project and get the lift back in.

Everybody needs to own at least one rat bike. :bike:

The weather warmed up on Tuesday so I managed to get out for a ride and snap some shots of my project

Took mine out last sunday, Feb. 5th. She'd been sitting for a while so I threw the trickle to her and didn't need it....glass mat bat. Did a 20 mile loop in 50 degrees.
A couple of observations on the ride- charging at just under 14 volts, 4k rpm @ 55mph in 5th gear and a comfortable 4k rpm @ 45 mph in 4th....hills, hollers, twisties, straights, county roads and state highways. 18/32 gearing and 8-1 compression. It's been 100% ride time and 0% wrenching.

I've been riding nearly every day for quite some time now. I know winter is going to hit at some point, right? Noticed this AM while riding back from the gym that the sun is starting to rise a bit earlier. Spring isn't that far off.

Took mine out last sunday, Feb. 5th. She'd been sitting for a while so I threw the trickle to her and didn't need it....glass mat bat. Did a 20 mile loop in 50 degrees.
A couple of observations on the ride- charging at just under 14 volts, 4k rpm @ 55mph in 5th gear and a comfortable 4k rpm @ 45 mph in 4th....hills, hollers, twisties, straights, county roads and state highways. 18/32 gearing and 8-1 compression. It's been 100% ride time and 0% wrenching.

How did you go about lowering your compression? Did you use the 2 gasket trick or change pistons? Shorter rods? Head work?

And how do you like the lower compression engine? I've been thinking about building one myself.

It was above 40 degrees, roads dry, not to much mud in the yard, so I rode today. It took about a 1/2 hour to get my fingers cold enough to hurt, but I enjoyed it.
Leo

I went out today. Actually, I've been riding all week. Real cold in the mornings. I just got home from work and it's 16* and snowing. Pretty slick out, the plow trucks aren't keeping up very well. Of course I'm only riding about a mile each way.

Back