Why do people hide their xs's?

Funny, in between all that typing I still managed to ride 2 bikes today. Neither one of them has a Sporty tank... just sayin'

Could've seen my same old TC Bros hardtail, sporty tanked bike today if you were in my area. 'Cause I was out ridin' while you fools were typin' !:bike:

Went on a 4 hour ride today. Nicest October day I ever seen in Michigan

Funny, in between all that typing I still managed to ride 2 bikes today. Neither one of them has a Sporty tank... just sayin'
That's because you had to pedal the first one, and the second had training wheels, right? I'm gettin you a Sporty tank for Christmas. Check your mailbox, or make a mailbox out of it! :laugh:

Dude, use your head. Training wheels on a tricycle would be ridiculous.

And give up my uber-sweet giant shotgun shell mailbox? Screw that!

shotgun-mailbox.jpg

It's all my fault they are ALL out in my shed....
Just seems that way some days.
A common theme is that the XS is a garage bike while a later model bike is the rider. That's the way it is for me, when someone calls and says lets ride I WANT to take the XS out but my back sez now think about this for a minute. The shadow is sitting there full of gas licensed and insured. I throw a plate on an XS and ride it around the local back roads or to town now and then for it's exercise. And I mainly wrench on XS650s I am building a tracker but when it's done I won't be putting hours in the saddle on it. I will be in dull back pain after 20 minutes. But I still love em. Out of the 250,000 built how many are reliable runners today? 15,000? In the past few years I have dragged at least 8 out of sheds somewhere and passed them on as running bikes. But of those 8 I'd be willing to bet 5 or 6 are now semi completed "customs" sitting in the back of a garage somewhere.

I know of 2 hardtails , a stock heritage spl, and Pyro's bike besides mine that are on the road around Amarillo...3 more being built in garages in and around town. So that's 5 in about 250,000 people.

i believe I know of about 10 in Toronto
at least 4 are cafe bikes
4 stockish specials and heritages
my hardtail and one other i know of

I commute on my xs year round, and I haven't seen a single xs650 on the road here in Denver at all in the past 4 years. The closest I have came to that is seeing a red 72 parked downtown ONCE. Then again, I dont hang out at starbucks or attend any bike shows. I'll see them for sale on craigslist, but I havent seen one in person being ridden, stock or modified.

Im new to this site and Im new to xs650's. I just purchased my first on 4 monthes ago and then purchased an 80' special with 3000 miles on it for $200 dollars. My 79' is hardtailed and I love it and yea it has a tc brothers kit on the back and a peanut tank. But the only difference is that I built it myself including my rear fender and seat and all the other gadgets I could find off of donor bikes. Don't be talkin bad about the hardtails. Alot of us guys spend alot of time building our bikes from scratch and not web sites.

Im new to this site and Im new to xs650's. I just purchased my first on 4 monthes ago and then purchased an 80' special with 3000 miles on it for $200 dollars. My 79' is hardtailed and I love it and yea it has a tc brothers kit on the back and a peanut tank. But the only difference is that I built it myself including my rear fender and seat and all the other gadgets I could find off of donor bikes. Don't be talkin bad about the hardtails. Alot of us guys spend alot of time building our bikes from scratch and not web sites.

"Weld-on kit" and "from scratch" are mutually exclusive. You don't get to have both. Sorry. Now that you've bumped a more-or-less dead thread with your butt-hurt, don't-pick-on-me post, how about an introduction and a pic of your scoot? :thumbsup:

As I ride around, I don't see many bikes 30+ years old of any make. Most are just a few years old. Anything over 5 is a rareity.
Hey Teebs He did say it was a TC Bros tail setion. He said he built it, Not built it from scratch.

I have only ssen 2 on the road locally. I end up meeting one of the guys at an event and he has 2. The other was a drive by, very clean stock special. My son was in Orlando last weekend and called me to tell me "there is a bike like yours in the parking lot" at the hotel he was staying at. Even he knows they are rare to see out. I did some work on one. a G&L pretty tricked out, and I see them on craigslist once in a while. I ride mine in rotation. Got 2 Harleys and 3 XSs tagged at the moment and need to keep the batteries up.

I am in Staten Island, NY...I see very few XS650..I get asked all day if my bike is a harley..but i still love to ride her....its getting cold in the northeast, once its below 40"s i'll keep her inside....

Back