Why do people hide their xs's?

I gotta do that one! Practically outside my door and i have never been there. When is it?

I live in the vintage bike capitol of the U.S. I've seen XS650's ridden here, and I've seen them parked here. I know about a dozen owners, and I've ridden with several of them. And I know that's just the tip of the iceberg. You cannot believe how much XS650s sell for in this town. Same for Honda scramblers and 70s CB and CM twins. They are trendy and expensive and you see them everywhere.

Hi ya DogBunny,good job on the temp gauge,satisfied my curosity,as to how hot it gets,went on a good ride a couple of weeks ago,2 up very hot & humid,had the 750 rephase humming along at 5000rpm temp got to 230f & thats with a oil cooler,chewed a tank of fuel in 105ks (9.5 lts) at leagal speeds droped back 200f,what do reacon on max temp before things go pear shaped,I would be slowing down if I seen 250f, whats your call,still it was great to be able see how hot it realy was & not wondering,was pleased it passed the test & didn't cook it's self,another std. 650 on the ride had to slow up as he reaconed it was to hot,but he didnt have a temp gauge,think I might have sold one for you take care & keep the good work Steve B

Steve, I'm going to answer this at more length in a more appropriate thread. I will PM that thread to you. The quick answer is that I believe the maximum temperature indicated by the dipstick should not exceed 260 degrees. Thanks a lot, -- DB

I can honestly say there are more xs's in my garage (4) than all the others i know of in T.O. (3).

You have competition now in Durham Region - 4 here -the first was '75 basket case, next a running '81 special, then a '77 standard with a holed piston, then a '78 special, also found a '78 xs 750 Standard for the tank and front end. I intend to get the '78 special running, then safety the '81 to sell it to fund the next one.

Attachments

• 100_2630.JPG
    100_2630.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 195
I in north east Arkansas
I tell ever one it's harley Country
I thought I was the only one in Arkansas
That even knew what an xs650 was

definitely a few in northern new jersey .. i own 3 only one is a bobber currently , alot in the build stages now would like to get some people together for a ride in the spring

My job keeps me on the road here in Phoenix most of the day. An XS here is a rare site. I watch craigslist too frequently and rarely see one on there.
jefft

hi guys i purchased my 1976 xs650 from healsville motorcycles in healsville australia,,, with 12months reg and roadworthy oh yeh and they delivered it to my back door,,,....sorry the cost 1300bucks ,,,i found the receit,,, this weekend ....and yes it then sat in my family room near my bedroom for 12 months .... i covered it with a doona /tarp and plastic sheeting ... and i,ve never ever regreeted it ..,,, they are not a hard bike to ride even if you just plod along at 60k.... and theere is a huge amount you can do too make them you signage ...regards oldbiker

I bought a near perfect '78 XS650E out of a guys collection with 497 actual miles on it last Sept.I am lucky. Most folks tell me to save it /store it /don't use it. I am here just once, I am riding that bike every chance I get. I'll leave the museum pieces to the curators...Joe

Most folks are right, you should "save it /store it /don't use it."

But I would ride it too. What's the point in having treasures you cannot enjoy for what they were intended to do? :bike:

That's one thing I never could get my mind around. People spend a truck load of money getting something and just look at it.
Guns, bikes, cars, whatever, they are tools designed to be used, to not use them is a crime.
Leo

Maybe we spend to much time talking and fixing our bikes. LOL, Havent seen one around me for 2 years now. Ride Safe Fellas

It pretty cool when you see one going down the road. I haven't seen one in my neck of the woods. I've seen one in traffic going through a bridge toll in another province though. I was like hey, i'm buildin one of those. I wanted to shout something to him but he probably wouldn't hear or understand why i respected the bike. It's kinda like a cult. It would be cool to get a bunch of these in a run somewhere.
I've had mine for about a year now and haven't heard it roar yet. Can't wait...

I have 5 XSs at the moment. I plan on reducing that number over the next year, but how can it be a motorcycle if it doesn't ever get to run? Motorcycles were designed and built to run. That is their purpose so, as the saying goes, ride 'em, don't hide 'em!

By the way. I have seen Shovel Jockey's bike and it is beautiful. If it were mine I would ride it too! It's way to nice to be hidden away!:thumbsup:

Back