Why do people hide their xs's?

Inked Monkey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just turned past 1600 miles on my xs650 and out of all of them I have never seen another xs650 on the road! What gives? Besides car shows and meeting up with kent, I never see them riding. People online get tired of seeing hardtailed xs's everywhere, but where are all these bikes kept? I get really happy when I see other metrics riding, but with all the harleys out there they are few and far between.

I know what you mean. We on the internet think like they're everywhere. But the truth is, they're 30 year old bikes. I guess we'll just have to look harder.

Inked you exactly right where are all the bikes? That's it piss's me off when people comment on people pics by saying " samo hardtail that looks like all the rest"' it may seem that way when the all concentrated on a forum but in the real world were so spread out that our bikes stay very unique.

That's what I never understood. There's a bunch online, but they must only be cyber bikes because in Kansas City you never see them in person. Maybe I need to move?

All I see around here is stock Harleys! But they tell me they are the real bikers and I need to upgrade

All I see around here is stock Harleys! But they tell me they are the real bikers and I need to upgrade

Bahaha

That's because to be a real biker you have to spend the big bucks and pay others to work on your bike.:wink2:

I am in Northwest Arkansas...Bikes blues and BBQ and all that...hundreds and thousands of bikes...and I am the only XS head I know around here.

" On an XS you won't pass yourself every day." LOL

At any particular show around here I have seen at the most 3 XSs. Once in awhile I see one on the road. Not often. And these are a bike that was produced from 1970-1983. According to Motorcycle Classics mag 250,000 of all styles were produced.
You members here on the forum are the only ones I know of locally . That includes member cheftay who lives out in Lenexa. I don't know where they are hiding.

My other current ride is a 1986 SRX600 Yamaha which only 19,000 worldwide were supposed have been produced. Still haven't seen another in person.

I've seen three others on the road around here, a Special, and two Standards one dark red and one blue. All pretty much stock.

" On an XS you won't pass yourself every day." LOL

At any particular show around here I have seen at the most 3 XSs. Once in awhile I see one on the road. Not often. And these are a bike that was produced from 1970-1983. According to Motorcycle Classics mag 250,000 of all styles were produced.
You members here on the forum are the only ones I know of locally . That includes member cheftay who lives out in Lenexa. I don't know where they are hiding.

Looking at it from a production standpoint, 250,000 bikes would only supply one tenth of one percent (0.08333x%) of the current U.S. population at 300 million. Obviously the percentage is significantly less when you take the populations of other supplied countries into account. Maybe .050-0.075%?

Other parts of the equation are your location, how much you ride, and what type of culture you submerse yourself in. This isn't the only forum I'm on regularly, but the forums I'm on tend to reflect my preferences in the real world. I frequent scoot and metal-working boards mostly. In real life I hang out with bikers (the real kind, not the RUBs OR the ridiculous SOA caricatures a lot of people get in their heads), guys that work steel and turn wrenches for a living and live on two wheels.

I've seen a lot of XSs over the past few years, more probably than in the previous 20 years combined. I hardtailed one back in 2000 and back then I hardly ever saw ANY choppers outside the guys I already knew, much less a "little yellow brother" or the resurgence of XS chops that are happening now. The current trend is completely courtesy of the internet. If it weren't for forums like this one, the XS chopping "fad" would never have happened.

As far as the "same old hardtail" subject; first, it's more like the "same old TC Bros weld-on hardtail and Sporty peanut tank combination" to me but that's my opinion (no matter that my opinion is absolutely right). Second, it doesn't really matter that you only see one or two others if you go to a show or whatever. If you all have the same weld-on prefabbed tail and the same list of bolt-on accessories, you might as well be riding a Honda Fury; at least it has some rake. (That last was for xstwin :D)

I have a '90 CBR1000 and I never see anyone else driving one. It doesn't change the fact that it was a production bike and looks exactly like all the other red, white and blue Hurricanes manufactured that year.

Actually, these bikes are quite rare considering the large number of bikes on the road.

The most I have seen in one location was at an Airdrie bikenight..............there were 3..............George had his hardtail early 70's XS650...............Dan had a beautiful all stock 1977D standard...............and my 1978 XS650SE special. ShakerNorm (1979 XS650) is in Airdrie, but he did not make it out to that particular bikenight.

Here in Calgary (population of a little over 1 million) , my friend Nima with a 1980 special, is the only other running XS650 that I know about. John Cook has a 1977D but its not in running condition.

Bikes are common..............just on my street.............2 Kawasakis.........1 Susuki (1980's)......1 Triumph (2008).

You just don't see XS650's on the road, and that's what I like about these bikes!

My buddy has 2 and those are the only others I routinely see in my area. There was a ratty all black chopper I used to see go through town the last couple of years but not this season. I guess it finally died, lol. Most I see are in rough shape so I figure they won't be running for much longer. And I think that's what happens. They crap out and the owner doesn't have the knowledge to get them going again so he moves on to something newer and in better shape. Good for me I guess because then I can pick them up cheap, lol.

Could've seen my same old TC Bros hardtail, sporty tanked bike today if you were in my area. 'Cause I was out ridin' while you fools were typin' !:bike:

Dammit! It's in the 80's here and I'm stuck at work. I keep looking outside at my bike and can't wait to be back in the saddle. Only about an hour and a half left.

Back