Widd's '78 XS650 Brat Build (A Work in Progress)

Widd

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this bike for $100 from a family friend about a week ago. Been silently browsing the forums and I think I figured out the direction I'm going to be heading with it.

That's the day I picked it up in my old Yota, another project of mine. Though ugly on the outside, it's somewhat restored. (The Truck)

And here's a little bit closer of a picture, before I removed all the ugly stock junk that was on there.

Now this is how she'll sit for a while. Just saving up a little to do the work I want to do. First step is to shorten the subframe by 4 inches, keeping the raised lip at the back to use as a handle when needed. Also going to be looking into some new pipes so any tips would be great on that.

I'd like something that's loud but also throaty. Not that raspy gutless sound I hear all too often from these old bikes.

I will need to either re-wire the entire bike or just find a replacement harness, but I'll get to all that later. I'm an experience bike mechanic, just not with this model in particular.

Last edited:
I have a replacement harness if you need. It's used but complete. PM me if you're interested. welcome to the site.

Welcome to the XS world. Letting it sit won't get you riding. Lots of things to do that don't need money. Best to start with the motor. Getting it to run is always a good place to start.

Well as far as the endgame, I think it'll always be a work in progress but I'm shooting for something similar to this if I were to put another bike up to compare.

It would be different in some ways. I am going for an all black, but "chrome where it should be" sort of look. Definitely a black tank and frame. Wheels as well, but I'd also have a battery, and way shorter pipes. Those are hideous to me. This is only a ballpark bike look to shoot for, but I'd honestly be looking for some wire wheels in the long run. I love the look of them a lot more. I would also get lower bars. I don't know what they're called but they don't rise up, they just have a slight backward curve toward the rider. I have ridden with them on a couple sv650's that I helped build and they are sweet looking. IMO

And about the bike running, it isn't wired at all right now. But the guy who sold it to me had an ignition setup off of his other bike on it for the time being and he fired it up, so the engine is actually in great shape. I heard it run a week before I bought it, and he took it down the street with a ghetto shifting setup on there from the other bike as well. But he took his battery and wiring back so I'll have to do that work myself. I put a fresh change of oil in it just for good measure and cleaned/emptied the carbs for storage until I'm ready to fire it up again.

I definitely need a new left side foot peg/bracket, and the shifter. But other than that and a wiring harness, the original parts are all there.

Back