Will any/all of these drive chains work? Any Recomendations?

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
Currently running a Parts Unl. 530. Cant get the master link anymore. Discontinued by the mnfr. Gotta get a new chain. Here are some available now. Looking for advice on fit, ride, and longevity.

Thanks.

RK Chain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RK-Chain-53...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d9ff3ac9&vxp=mtr

Parts Unlimited, my current PU chain master link has been discontinued by the mnfr.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170869749804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Tsubaki

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsubaki-530...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a23c216ee&vxp=mtr

Drag Specialties

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Specia...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6b86f75d&vxp=mtr

DID

http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...a=X&ei=k8dJUdiRBI768QT9q4DIDw&ved=0CF0Q8wIwAA

I've used Tsubaki chains for years, good stuff. :thumbsup:

I don't feel the 650 needs an o-ring chain. It's only a 50HP bike, not some 100HP road burner. There used to be a site that sold bike parts and had a good chain write-up. They claimed a high quality regular chain properly cared for could last nearly as long as the o-ring variety. In fact, they weren't all that crazy about regular o-ring chains. What they did like was the new x-ring type. If I was going to spend big bucks on a chain, I would direct that money towards one of those.

I'm currently running a JC Whitney heavy duty chain, about $20 on sale. I've got about 12K on it and it looks to be about half stretched out. XSJohn was a big fan of these and I can see why. For my next chain, I splurged a bit and got one of these .....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/969/5565/ITEM/DID-530-Standard-Roller-Chain.aspx

I usually get my chains a bit longer and shorten them to fit. In this case, the longer 110 is actually cheaper than the 104, go figure.

I don't feel the 650 needs an o-ring chain. It's only a 50HP bike, not some 100HP road burner. There used to be a site that sold bike parts and had a good chain write-up. They claimed a high quality regular chain properly cared for could last nearly as long as the o-ring variety. In fact, they weren't all that crazy about regular o-ring chains. What they did like was the new x-ring type. If I was going to spend big bucks on a chain, I would direct that money towards one of those.

I'm currently running a JC Whitney heavy duty chain, about $20 on sale. I've got about 12K on it and it looks to be about half stretched out. XSJohn was a big fan of these and I can see why. For my next chain, I splurged a bit and got one of these .....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/969/5565/ITEM/DID-530-Standard-Roller-Chain.aspx

I usually get my chains a bit longer and shorten them to fit. In this case, the longer 110 is actually cheaper than the 104, go figure.

I saw those non o ring DID chains. The price is right. I know DID is a quality brand. If I spend over a 100 bucks I'll just get an x ring. If I go budget, I'll get the DID stardard.

I should I expect to get at least a years use out of a DID standard, right? I ride on average about 500 miles per month. Gonna be more than that once shes back on both wheels.

Thanks everyone.

500 a month is only 6K a year. I would hope you get more than that out of the chain. Key to this is proper maintenance and most important there is good lubrication. I've tried lots of different chain lubes over the years and the best I've found is Kal-Gard Chain Kote. It has moly in it and stains the rollers black. When they start turning silver again, you know it's time to re-apply.

That web site I mentioned (which I can no longer find unfortunately) specifically mentioned the D.I.D. standard chain by name and said it was one of the best regular chains available. The parts (plates, rollers, etc.) are made to tight tolerances which makes the assembled chain very good and long lasting.

Speaking of non-o-ring chains, I bought an Izumi(?) from Mike's and was pleasantly surprised by it. I figured just to get a cheapo till my original sprockets wore out but 5k mi later it's had maybe one or two adjustments and still looks great. I do clean and lube it alot, though.

500 a month is only 6K a year. I would hope you get more than that out of the chain. Key to this is proper maintenance and most important there is good lubrication. I've tried lots of different chain lubes over the years and the best I've found is Kal-Gard Chain Kote. It has moly in it and stains the rollers black. When they start turning silver again, you know it's time to re-apply.

That web site I mentioned (which I can no longer find unfortunately) specifically mentioned the D.I.D. standard chain by name and said it was one of the best regular chains available. The parts (plates, rollers, etc.) are made to tight tolerances which makes the assembled chain very good and long lasting.

I expect that to be closer to 10k miles over the next 12 months, but it sounds that should still be fine. I'll look for that chain lube.

Thnaks Twins

You may need to mail order it. I've never been able to find it locally. I was turned on to this stuff quite by accident many years ago, before the days of the internet and when mail order meant going through a printed catalog. I got it from JC Whitney. The catalog description simply said "Chain Lube", no brand name mentioned or anything. This is what they sent me. I haven't used anything else since.

Twins,

Post a pic of what you use please. I had no intention of finding that locally. My local selection is worse than crap. Not a very bike friendly place. Tallahassee's pretty small actually. I have to get everything online. Stinks. I would rather spend my money towards my local economy, but oh well.

Thanks.

Ive always heard that Tsubaki is the cats meow but Ive never ran one.

I put the RK on my BMW about 10K miles ago....seems to be holding up great.

Cant go wrong with DID either, run those on my higher horsepower bikes.....like my KZ1000.

On my dual sport I run a Primary Drive brand chain - its a Rocky Mountain ATV house brand. They are known to be good chains at a great price among the dual sport crowd.....I wouldnt hesitate to put one on my XS if budget was a concern.

Is this it?

Should be easy to find. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Chain Kote.png
    Chain Kote.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 238
Yes, that's the stuff. It comes in both a clear and normal version. I like the normal stuff because like I said, it stains the rollers black. When they start turning silver again, you know it's time to re-apply.

Normal it is.

Thanks twins. I will probably go with the DID chain for the price and quality. I'll let everyone know what I do and the results.

I went to the MSS and they didn't have that exact chain.
But from what I saw there thats about the right price.
did chains are a good choice for the XS imo
The chain lube I use is dupont chain saver.
Its works for me and I can find it at alot of walmarts

Im leaning towards the DID standard non oring chain for value. It should last if I take care of it. I've never had anything but the oring chain, but I bet I wont notice a difference. Next year I may do new xring chain and sprockets.

Thanks everyone.

As I'm sure you're aware, putting a new chain on old worn sprockets will wear the new chain quickly. Take a very close look at your sprocket teeth. If they're "hooked" at all, those sprocket need replacing now .....

WornSprocket.jpg

Will do, thanks twins. Ive had the chain off 3 times in the last 2 months, thats how i know about the discontinued master links.... Sprockets looked good then, but I will double check before installing a new chain. Thanks.

Drag Specialties and Parts Unlimited chains are made by EK. I have used them a few times. I currently have a Parts Unlimited 525 X-ring on my SV with just under 20K miles on it. I lube it with 20W50 every 350-500 miles. Good chain. Lasts the life lf the sprockets so I can replace the chain and sprockets as a set, and know the whole system will last until all parts are worn out at once. DID, Tsubaki, RK, and EK are all good quality brands. All of those companies race on and off road. Racing improves the breed of any product. It encurages durable design.

How about shorning the chain. 104 links being stock, my bike has the stock swingarm, a 104 should work. Right? If I get a 110 and want to shorten it, I just grind the head and push the pin out, just like with the master, correct. Never had to shorten a chain before. I havent counted my links but it should be stock if all is the same. Only change is shorter that stock shocks.

A 106 link would work with no shortning, but "may" stretch more than I want later down the road??? Accurate????

Back