Wiring harness

dts66

XS650 Member
Reaction score
wiring is not my strength. I've got a 76 XS650 Cafe Racer project and I've ordered a new wiring harness from XS650 Direct. That is where my problems start. The new harness has a connector for every component but none of the components have connectors so nothing matches up. The bike is kick start only and has a baby food lid electronic ignition (is that any good?). So my question is are there simpler wiring diagrams out there? Other than that the build is going good. I know I've re wrapped the exhaust already:)

IMG_7553.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7552.JPG
    IMG_7552.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 166
I like this one. Easy to build. It shows a basic points ignition with the separate regulator and rectifier. In boxes it has the later TCI ignition and combo reg/rec. E-start up in the corner.
It's easy to alter this diagram for aftermarket ignitions, Just wire in what you have after the kill switch.
Adding more things is easy. Start after the main switch, add a fuse, run wire to whatever you need, good ground and good to go.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 224
Perfect, That's what I've been looking for. Thanks XSLeo! Now I guess I have to tear my new harness apart, because I've got a lot of extra wires.

There is also a vendor that sells one on here. Maybe ordered what you want and sell the new one you have?

I know if it was me as I don't like electrical either I would just see what it costs to get the correct harness.

I completely wired a m/c.. Boyer... lights... switches... Have'n never attempted before... Once I got start'd ...discovered it's not that difficult.

That is a nice looking bike. I an guessing that you bought it as it stands now. Show us a picture of the baby food lid ignition as well as the items with no connections. We need a lot more info than you have provided to assist you.

The bike was a real mismatch, with a box of extra parts. As it stands now is my work. I tore it down to the frame and had it powder coated, fitted new gauges, rear sets, handlebar switches, shocks, bearings etc.
The harness I have is the right one for the bike it's just made for all the extras (Light checker, break wear indicator etc). Here is a pic of the baby food lid.

Attachments

• baby.JPG
    baby.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 159
The baby food lid ignition was originanly designed by a fellow on here, Pamco Pete. It was an early attempt to build a reasonably priced electronic ignition for our bikes. Since then he designed the Basic Pamco. He then added an electronic advancer, so the stock mechanical could be eliminated.
He also designed an advance rod that replaces the stock rod.
Your baby food lid system works well.
On your stock electrical items without plugs, each unit has a certaian number of wires, thesewires are of certain colors. No two items have matching number and color combinations of wires. Look at a stock wiring diagram. Take one of your items, compare it to items on the diagram. Find the item that has the same number/color combo, that is your item.
Leo

dts66

Below is a simple wiring diagram I created for a future project. It shows a Pamco ignition and stock type handlebar controls.

Attachments

• wiring diagram - black bobber updated - no hazard.pdf
    273.5 KB · Views: 223
Back