Wiring help needed

devildrums

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, have a 77 Yamaha xs650 and need a little help figuring out some wiring for my new rectifier/regulator. Bought from Mikes XS and sku is 24-2089. Diagram shows orange and blue, but I have brown and black. Any help clarifying would be great. Yamaha Rec-Reg.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like the same unit mike’s carries but is out of stock on.. I have some ideas but don’t know enough to give you any potentially wrong answers.. but what I will say is that for ~$40 you can make your own separate reg/rec unit. Mailman has a pretty thorough write up on the process and I’d bet if you asked real nice he’d answer any questions you’ve had http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-16 it’s on pages 16-18. If your unit is returnable, you could save some serious coin and still have the option to replace only one unit in the event of failure instead of the whole combo. Anyways I’m sure someone will be along shortly with an actual answer to your question, good luck :cheers: Greasy

Just looked back at the link I sent you and he did in fact have a combo unit at some point so he (along with many others) will know for sure. Oh and welcome to the site

Last edited:
My experience with those units......it will work for a while, then you'll be blaming everything else because your bike won't charge right, overcharge, you won't suspect the reg/rec because it's fairly new.

Scott

Really need to see a part number or site where you bought it to confirm the correct wiring hook up. It's not simple as it seems

One thing that needs to be clarified.......Is the Solid State Reg/rect for a Points model or TCI, (factory Electronic Ignition), model.........

Points model Bikes
You are moving from this........... to this
View attachment 137868View attachment 137867

This thread might help to clear up some points
http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-in-a-70-79-combined-reg-rect-to-a-points-model-xs650.52339/
It has original points. One question is about the black wire from the rect/reg to the brushes. It looks like I am supposed to pigtail ground wire to the frame. Is this correct?

To be on the safe side, you could if you wanted to. On the original set-up, the black wire from the inner brush wasn't a ground being sent to it but rather a ground being sent out from it to the regulator. The inner brush is grounded on it's own through it's 3 mounting screws.

Back