wiring help!

Vciferni

XS650 Member
Reaction score
A bare spot on a wire shorted out all of my wiring and melted all the wiring's coatings and since my wiring was such a mess i chopped up my wiring:banghead:

here is a picture of what i have. simple but i still need to connect the dots. should be easy for someone who knows what theyre doing.

Attachments

• 2012-06-24_18-27-29_906.jpg
    2012-06-24_18-27-29_906.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 157
It didnt have any fuses in it. I didnt wire the bike. Im gonna wire one in though

Not sure how you plan to connect/wire the circuits but the following point to point connections should help you get your ignition and charging systems back up and working. Be sure to fuse with 20 amp main fuse rating, no more else you'll have the same thing happen.
Here is where your ignition and charging system wires go:

Stator Plug (SVR= Solid State Voltage Regulator)
three white wires = connect to three white on SVR plug any order
Brown & Green Wires = connect to same color wires on SVR plug
Yellow Wire = connects to safety/lighting relay (if you deleted? no connection, cap it.

Remaining wire connections on the SVR PLUG
Red = To the 20 amp main fuse that the battery feeds power to. (From battery, to fuse, to SVR and all other ignition, lighting circuits)
Brown = an additional brown wire must be run FROM the SVR TO the ignition switch to provide power to the SVR and ROTOR

Ign. Pulse coil plug (on Stator)
Green = W/G wire on Solid State ignition plug
Orange = W/R wire on Solid State ignition plug
Black = W/B wire on Solid State ignition plug

Remaining three wire on ignition module Plug go to:
Black = Ground (Good connection to any frame bolt )
R/W = Engine run switch (or if removed connect to ignition switch)
Orange = To ignition coil (then R/W wire of coil connects to same point as ign. module R?W wire.)

If you have questions let me know

Good Luck,

Ken in TN

The Yamaha 650 Wiring Explained:
http://www.mikesxs.net/ken_maxwell/WiringExplained.html

Ken, im only wiring a on/ switch. What wires do i connect to the switch? Also im running a head light and tail light which i guess runs to the red wire with a fuse thay goes to my battery

Ken, im only wiring a on/ switch. What wires do i connect to the switch? Also im running a head light and tail light which i guess runs to the red wire with a fuse thay goes to my battery

Check out the following link. It has several different type wiring diagrams that you can pull from. The fith drawing might be more in tune with what you need. Just omit any circuit(s) you don't need or aren't using.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

Thanks so much for the help my bikes running again. But.my battery keeps dying. I dont know if its not charging because its low or because i fried the stator. If i was to test it what should it be reading?

check the batt volts before your start it and then when it's running and at a higher idle speed as well. i'm dealing with same diagnosis. if volts are lower when running your stator is not charging. at least thats what i'm doing and have been told...just like a car

When you start the bike and measure the volts at the battery with the engine at 2500 RPM you should see around 14.5 volts. If the voltage is around 12 volts the alternator isn't charging.

If it is not 14 volts measure the voltage across the rotor brushes. Should be about 1/2 volt less than the battery on mechanical charging system and 1 volt or so less than battery level on solid state charging systems.

Next connect an amp meter in series with a rotor brush wire and measure the current. Should be around 2.25 amps. If >3 amps bad rotor. If <2 amps bad brushes or loose connection.

If all this checks out look at the voltage on the 3 stator white wires. You should see around 20+ AC volts on these wires.

If that is good measure the voltage on the red wire at the regulator. Should see the 14 volts DC noted earlier. Check all plugs.

Bottom line is you have to do systematic checks at the noted points and obtain the noted voltages. If you do not get the valuses +/- 20% one of them or the wiring is bad.

Ken in TN

The Yamaha 650 Wiring Explained:
http://www.mikesxs.net/ken_maxwell/WiringExplained.html

Back