Wiring Issues 2

1) What is the preferred method to "send power to the black wire brush"? ( I thought the green out from the reg was power to the brushes...)

2) Tell me more about grounding the case? What case? Isn't the motor case already grounded?

The case I was talking about is the reg's case. It needs to be grounded.
When you use that reg on the 70-79 bikes you need to use the three nylon screws to isolate the brush from ground. Then you need to hook the black wire brush to power after the key switch.
The easiest way I found to do this is to trace the wire bundle up from the alternator to the large plug. On the harness side of this plug find the black wire, cut it off about two inches from the plug. Hook a brown wire to this black wire from the plug. Run this brown wire to where you have the reg mounted. Hook this brown wire to the brown wire to the reg.
Now when you trun the key on power flows to the reg and the black wire brush. From the black wire brush through the rotor out the green wire brush to the reg on the green wire.
Be sure to put the three nylon screws in on the black wire brush.
If not yopu will blow fuses and maybe burn something up.
Remember check at least twice before you put power to the system.
If you look in the tech sectionyou will find a list of links to threads about things, Scroll down to the Electrical section. Find the link titled Explanation of the ecletrical Systems on the XS650. It has a detailed description of the early 70-79 chareging system with a section on the differences between the two.
Leo

Wow!

I've been trying to get this bike charging for 8 weeks a few hours here and there..

Thanks to you it now charges! I was pulling my hair out, but I learned a lot!!

Let me know if there is any way I can return the favor....seriously, I owe you one.

Attachments

• IMGP6495.jpg
    IMGP6495.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 62
Hey, that's why places like this exist, to help others. The best way to help me will be to pass along what you have learned to others.
Learning more about your bike is a process that never ends. As you learn, pass the knowledge on.
The same applies to all things you do. Help others to learn about whatever it is and you help keep that thing alive.
Leo

Back