Wiring Question

Shifty2932

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this set up on my bike. Can anyone explain to me why the screws that hold the brushes assembly need to ungrounded and replaced with nylon/ plastic screws? I bought my bike last year and the PO didn't do this. Road the bike all last season and far as I know didn't have any issues. This past winter I tore the bike down and did some major overhaulin' and am at the wiring process and came across this diagram an others like it that state the same thing. Just curious as to why this needs to be done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 72
I have this set up on my bike. Can anyone explain to me why the screws that hold the brushes assembly need to ungrounded and replaced with nylon/ plastic screws? I bought my bike last year and the PO didn't do this. Road the bike all last season and far as I know didn't have any issues. This past winter I tore the bike down and did some major overhaulin' and am at the wiring process and came across this diagram an others like it that state the same thing. Just curious as to why this needs to be done.

That diagram, and its notes, are only correct if you are using a 1980 to 83 type rectifier/regulator, on a 1970 to 79 alternator. If your bike is 1970 to 79, with stock alternator, and with stock regulator, then you do not use nylon screws.

With the wild, wild internet, you have to know the context. That diagram and its notes, may have had correct accompaning instructions at one time, but were lost as guys copy and post on various web sites.

There's (2) stock alternator/rotor setups, early models (70-79) have regulated-power going to grounded rotor, late models (80-84) have power going to ground-regulated rotor. Your wiring, rotor brush configuration, and regulator must match.

Try google search "three nylon screw mod" for more info...

Back