Wiring question

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Two questions......

So first off, i'm doing some wiring for my bike. Here is the simple diagram that i am following.

noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg

First question: I am planning on having it be kick-start only. Do i still need the ignition switch that is shown?

Second question: I'm planning on using 14g for the entire bike. With that diagram, how many feet do you guys think i need to buy to comfortably wire it?

Yes,you need an ignition switch. Otherwise, you would have current flow to the alternator rotor and to one of the coils at all times.

While 14 gauge will certainly do the job well, its a bit heavy and bulky for all the wiring. Use 14 gauge for the connections from the battery to the ignition switch and to the rec/reg. 14 gauge also for the negative to the rec/reg.

All the rest just use 16 gauge.

I ordered 7 rolls of 25 feet. All different colors. I went threw alot of black and red others not so much. I did the headlight in green tail light in yellow and such. I prefer to order in bulk cuz ifi needed it once ill need it again.

Posted via Mobile

Is the ignition switch the kind of thing where you can by a generic one at like radio shack or something? Or does it have to be xs650 specific?

I got my key switch from the local tractor supply. It is made for an old Ford Tractor. It was small and cheap. $16. It's just an on/off switch.
Leo

I use a on/off toggle switch from a racing parts house. Super quality and around $10. If you decide to have electric start a three way switch is requred, but for me simple is best....

Oh BTW I use a 30 amp switch

on/off switch? so its basicly just a having a flow of electricity going through it right?

I'm having a brainfart, the coils that are shown in the diagram with L and R.....

The coils, is that something i can buy at radio shack or something? like is it a generic automotive piece?

Radio shack does not have ignition coils or wires. Now a rectifier .....

Radio shack does not have ignition coils or wires. Now a rectifier .....

So the ignition coil has to be xs650 specific? or could i find a generic piece at a different store that's not radio shack.

I've done the chrysler-rectifier mod.

For points, you need a coil that has 4 to 5 ohms primary resistance. Any brand should work.

Alright, so I could just get a ignition coil off a harley, or try and find one through a autoshop that can do 4 or 5 ohms?

Edit: and then i need two of them, is that right?

Last edited:
projectxs650;

Yes, you can use 2 coils (each with 4 to 5 ohm primary) with 2 sets of points.

There are other ways as well. The first year I had my bike, I bought a single Accel 3.3 ohm coil with dual high voltage outputs. I then connected the 2 sets of points together in parallel, with just one capacitor. I used a 1 ohm ballast resistor to give a total primary resistance of 4.3 ohms. Ran fine that way for one year.

I then bought a Pamco and used the same Accel coil without the ballast resisitor. Points work OK but the Pamco eliminates the fiddling adjustments.

projectxs650;

Yes, you can use 2 coils (each with 4 to 5 ohm primary) with 2 sets of points.

There are other ways as well. The first year I had my bike, I bought a single Accel 3.3 ohm coil with dual high voltage outputs. I then connected the 2 sets of points together in parallel, with just one capacitor. I used a 1 ohm ballast resistor to give a total primary resistance of 4.3 ohms. Ran fine that way for one year.

I then bought a Pamco and used the same Accel coil without the ballast resisitor. Points work OK but the Pamco eliminates the fiddling adjustments.

Wow i didn't think about setting it up that way, might give that a try...

Back