wiring splicing question

This is what I'm dealing with. This taillight harness is in the middle of the bike. It gets buried going foward and goes under the fender to the rear. I have to splice into 3 of these wires. As you can see there are already some factory splices at this point. The factory uses some little brass crimp connectors and wraps it with some silicone type tape.
If i use the cut and add method, then I have 6 connections vs 3 which to me is more chances for problems.

Attachments

• DSCN0323 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0323 (1024x768).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 129
Why don't you just cut them were you want to add your wires. Strip the insulation off. Add your shrink tube to the one side, use about an inch for each solder joint. Add your spare wire and go from there. You still have the one cut and add joint in the center of each wire but now you have a good amount of shrink tube over the connection that will aid in the prevention of corrosion.

Since no one has asked I will toss in that to keep your solder connection nice and tight strip a 3 or 4" of a piece of fine strand automotive wire, clip off a strand of copper and wrap the two wires to be soldered together, it's fussy work and a bit of a pain but will hold a nice tight joint to solder.

I can see how cutting the wire and adding more wire is more probable to lewead to problems. This can be problematic with any splice. Doing it the way you did it is good. I have used the liquid tape and if done well it holds up well. I have it in a can with a brush as well as in a spray can.
The aircraft type tape is great stuff. If wrapped tight it is about as weatherproof as you can get.
Leo

3M 33+ is good stuff.

That's what we were given to tape the connections to 480v motors up in the great white north. It's kind of thinner and stretchier than most. I woudln't worry about it not staying put!

But I wouldn't make a connection like the one in the picture. I'd put a lug on the new wire and put it under a screw or crimp two wires into a lug. Just personal preference in this case though.

Boy, I wish I could put a drawing here, but try clanking it out thisaway:
Imagine, cut the harness wire in the middle.
Strip back 1/2" each end, slip 2-3" shrink over one end, well away from cut area.
Take your new wire, strip back 1 1/2".
Twist/solder the very end of the new wire to the harness wire that has the shrink tubing.
Twist/solder the other harness wire-end to the upper end of the long-stripped new wire.
The new wire is also the joint 'bridge', so to speak.
Seal and shrink 'western union' style.

Harness wire
========== ======== shrink tube this end
Stripped ---------- bridge end
_________/
New wire

Hope this makes sense...

Last edited:
Something like this Twomany? The yellow wire would be the main and the brown the add on. I definitly would feel better with some adhesive lined shrink tubing around the joint. That stuff holds and seals very well.

XJWMX, not sure what you mean by a lug but the harness has to be kept small as possible to fit back into place along the frame and I have to do 3 splices.

Attachments

• DSCN0324 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0324 (1024x768).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 153
Hi Gary,

I do the same as you for those splices that I'm having trouble keeping together long enough to solder them neatly and well. Wrapping the single strand around allows you to pull the whole splice together nicely with no hanging strands. Didn't know anyone else used this method.

Back