Wiring the start solenoid on a 78 special.

Bdubbs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
IMG_02456.jpg
Before I start, let me say that I looked on previous posts for what I need and only got confused more.

The bike has been previously stripped down and was running. My problem is, I can't figure out what this item is in the picture. A CDI (TCI) or a start relay.

I am switching to a lithium battery. I purchased a new rectifier/regulator and it is wired properly according to the supplier. They said to keep the start system separate from the charging system. However, the previous wiring set up had the green wire from charging unit going to the green wire on this box. The orange and yellow wires go to the ("switched on") power source.

I am fine with doing a different set up but, I need to have a proper digram for a start relay and start solenoid that I can trust.

To clarify, there are no other modules etc. The bike has a starter (not kickstart only).

Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sure thats not a regulator????....................man you sure have shorting issues..........looks like you gonna need to replace a lot of wiring..............looks like the solenoid/Start relay is bottom left where the Br and Yellow wires run from

A more comprehensive pic encompassing as much in the pic as possible will help to identify whats what.

haha those wires aren't shorting. They either have liquid elec tape or are heat shrink solder connectors. they do look burned though.

it may be a regulator. that would make sense now

Yes, it is an aftermarket automotive regulator, and they work very well. No need to replace it with one of those expensive and many times P.O.S. combined units.

The starter relay or solenoid is mounted in the right side of the battery box. you access the wiring from the right side. It has two big heavy cables, one from the battery, the other to the starter.
It has two smaller wires. One is red/white the other is blue/white. In the stock harness power comes to the relay on the r/w wire, the b/w wire runs up to the starter button.
The starter button grounds the blue wire to the handle bars then from the bars to the harness ground.
If you are building your own harness you can use a start button on either the power side or ground side.
People that use a car type switch where the key cranks the starter. Power from the switch goes to the relay on the r/w wire then just ground the b/w wire.
Leo

Back