Wiring with no harness!

craftysince86

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i just picked up a project missing a harness

while talking to the fellow i bought it off he said that a wiring harness wasn't necessary that it would be pretty easy to wire it up as is?

i'm not super familiar with these or maybe he was just saying that to sell me his project?

basically i'm starting with a 79 xs, i have no harness. is there any truth to what he was saying? if so is there a write up?

there is a few oem harness' on ebay, would that make a better starting point? i was reading a few other threads and someone had bought one online and then there was another who linked sparck moto.. would that be a better route vs an oem one?

any help is appreciated just trying to figure out where i should start getting this all together

thanks

Mikesxs is a good place for parts...they have harness' ready for specific years. And 650central is good also...

while talking to the fellow i bought it off he said that a wiring harness wasn't necessary that it would be pretty easy to wire it up as is?

Here is a good place to start.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61 - Some Wiring Diagrams

If you only want the engine to run it really does take very little. If you have lights, turn signals, instruments with lights (nice for evening rides), and an electric start then you may want to get an oem harness. Be aware that the harness is only the backbone of the wiring. It will not include the left and right handlebar switches, the high current starter connections or relay, the tail light and brake light connections and other stuff.

I rebuilt a 78 with a well fried harness. Got a new one and then got lots of other new parts to make it all work like I wanted. Not having to wonder if the wiring is correct makes it easier to find what really is broken. :doh:

Good luck!

i don't have a speedo, i do plan on running brake lights and headlight. sounds like it would be best to get a harness then.

is it better to just start from an OE harness or go with a pre-made one like on the mikes website?

since the harness is year specific this actually brings me to my next question, i was told it was a 79xs and looking at the title it just says it's a 75 yamaha with no model indicator. is there a stamp on the motor or something that identifies it so i can verify what i actually have?

contact DADDYGCYCLES. He makes wiring harnesses for our bikes(among other things), including every run of wire you want or don't want.
He is a member here, He may be watching.

is spark moto down in the valley some were, kopcicle? Ide like to check them out.
According to your location, your somewhere on hwy410?

Back