Wobbling left to right

I wouldn't take a new bearing and support the outside race while using a press to put pressure on the inside race, then call that a good bearing with the obvious flat spots in there caused by using the press. That's what you have, internally deformed bearings.

Ha !! Cattle Patties.

Scott

Last edited:
I honestly know nothing about wheel bearings. He sounded pretty confident about them being ok, but then again, they didn't know something was wrong the first time around after they said it was ready...

I would also suggest new bearings now that those are tweaked ...

..New bearings...

... Really, assembling and tightening the axle without that spacer...

...you can consider your new bearings damaged...

...the inner races were stressed and the bearings were wrecked...

...That's what you have, internally deformed bearings...

I think the votes are in. How many is that. I lost count...

My wallet doesn't like your suggestions but I guess my life does...should I ask the shop to buy them since this is somewhat of a mutual mistake?

My wallet doesn't like your suggestions but I guess my life does...should I ask the shop to buy them since this is somewhat of a mutual mistake?

You could probably find that bearing set for 1/2 the price that you paid, seals might, might, still be OK to use.

Scott

I haven't been there, haven't seen the parts, but if the wheel was assembled to the bike without the spacer being there, blame the shop for having their head up their ass. Really, assembling and tightening the axle without that spacer.....have they ever seen a wheel, axel, and bearings before?

Scott
yeah I'm with Scott on this.

the shop might never have worked on an XS650 before and know nothing about which parts are correct for the XS BUT...
they should have the knowledge and experience to know when a rear wheel bearing has been fitted properly and the reason that the bike was brought in has been satisfactorily resolved.
They clearly didn't check the finished clearances and settings did they ! or they would have noticed that the wheel was still wobbling.
In addition to that if they had any concerns about whether or not all the right pieces were there (given that in their words it had all disintegrated ), they could have got an exploded view online just as we have and checked.

I would say that you are responsible for supplying them the wrong parts but they are responsible for releasing the bike back to you in an unsafe and potentially dangerous condition.

The shop should be responsible for inspection of the other related parts involved in this repair.

This all reminds me of a front end alignment that I had done at Sears. The alignment also included an inspection of the entire front suspension. Picked the car up and drove halfway home, my wife wanted to drive it the rest of the way home, so we traded cars. Everything was fine, 20 mile drive, some freeway speeds, wife turned into our driveway and a ball joint separated, drive shaft yanked out of transmission, transmission fluid all over the place and the wheel all contorted under the fender. Good thing she was only at driveway speed. Sears sent a wrecker and fixed everything after my nasty phone call with nasty words.

Scott

The shop should be responsible for inspection of the other related parts involved in this repair.

This all reminds me of a front end alignment that I had done at Sears. The alignment also included an inspection of the entire front suspension. Picked the car up and drove halfway home, my wife wanted to drive it the rest of the way home, so we traded cars. Everything was fine, 20 mile drive, some freeway speeds, wife turned into our driveway and a ball joint separated, drive shaft yanked out of transmission, transmission fluid all over the place and the wheel all contorted under the fender. Good thing she was only at driveway speed. Sears sent a wrecker and fixed everything after my nasty phone call with nasty words.

Scott
did you give then the waggly finger on the phone ?:laugh2: when I get the waggly finger from the missus I know I'm in for a good telling off !:D
Joking aside that was very lucky . If that had happened at speed it doesn't bear thinking about.

No, peanut she was pretty good about it and glad to see the wrecker take it away, so I wouldn't have to mess with it. But, soon after that she was driving a truck for me and the gears in the rear end exploded with a loud bang, that's when she thought I really was trying to kill her. She watches a lot of those spouse kills spouse shows on tv. A guy stopped and offered help, pulled the truck to our house and offered me a pristine gear set for free, saying that he would never use it because he had just been sentenced to prison for growing marijuana. :umm::cheers: Shit like this doesn't happen every day.

Scott

Last edited:
No, peanut she was pretty good about it and glad to see the wrecker take it away, so I wouldn't have to mess with it. But, soon after that she was driving a truck for me and the gears in the rear end exploded with a loud bang, that's when she thought I really was trying to kill her. She watches a lot of those spouse kills spouse shows on tv. A guy stopped and offered help, pulled the truck to our house and offered me a pristine gear set for free, saying that he would never use it because he had just been sentenced to prison for growing marijuana. :umm::cheers: Shit like this doesn't happen every day.

Scott
blimey !..... my life is really boring compared to yours :D

I'm just waiting for one of those nutters that knock on your door and offer you part of their fortune $

yeah I'm with Scott on this.

the shop might never have worked on an XS650 before and know nothing about which parts are correct for the XS BUT...
they should have the knowledge and experience to know when a rear wheel bearing has been fitted properly and the reason that the bike was brought in has been satisfactorily resolved.
They clearly didn't check the finished clearances and settings did they ! or they would have noticed that the wheel was still wobbling.
In addition to that if they had any concerns about whether or not all the right pieces were there (given that in their words it had all disintegrated ), they could have got an exploded view online just as we have and checked.

I would say that you are responsible for supplying them the wrong parts but they are responsible for releasing the bike back to you in an unsafe and potentially dangerous condition.

The shop actually informed me that the wheel bearings were the correct set. However, I have already ordered the collar and new wheel bearings and they are expected to be in early next week. The shop will install them for no charge.

Thanks again to all of you for your help. I really don't have much knowledge beyond basic maintenance and a couple little projects over the years, so your knowledge and wisdom has impacted the life of my xs I'm sure.

Please accept one of these virtual beers as a token of my appreciation.

Attachments

• draft-beer.jpg
    draft-beer.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 157
smacks lips .... mmmm that was grand ......ta very muchley :cheers:

Back